Wrist Slap , Not ARM Slap With a Longbow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

otis.drum

Re: Wrist Slap , Not ARM Slap With a Longbow

#91 Post by otis.drum » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:26 pm

:D :D
yes it does look high, but thats what it's suppose to be i think.
...otis...

otis.drum

#92 Post by otis.drum » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:33 pm

...otis...

Glenn

#93 Post by Glenn » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:29 pm

The brace height on that Fergson longbow would barely be 7 inches, when you over brace a tarditional bow they start to loose efficency. All bows will have a a low and high point which is the sweet spot for that bow, to be too low and the bow will be rough to shoot, to high and you might as well not bother and you will damage that bow...Glenn...

Coach

#94 Post by Coach » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:12 pm

I never thought this thread would reach 4 pages :shock: Just over a little wrist slap :roll:

otis.drum

#95 Post by otis.drum » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:11 am

yes it certainly got a little off topic a couple of times :D . it was more like a general discussion than a wrist slap question. and 900 viewings :shock:
...otis...

Antonio

#96 Post by Antonio » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:48 pm

I Fully disagree with either you Coach or you Otis.drum .
I would argue that wrist slap is a seriously big topic . :lol:

longbowinfected

#97 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Antonio, looking at your muscles and build, I cannot believe that any bow would ever missbehave and try to give you a slap......my bow would be scared.

I reckon this thread has been a hoot.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Antonio

#98 Post by Antonio » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:39 pm

kevin you learnt my secret :o .now that you know when the longbow string slaps you just feel the fear of the string.the string will know that you have fear of it and it will be OK.
the string will say sorry I did that to you .and you will say you know what I could have avoided that .at this point the string will probably agree with you. :D

Stephen Georgiou

#99 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Heres another opinion, Like we need another one :)

The bowyer who made your bow or one who makes similar bows are the experts on what arrow is best used with their bow. Once the correct weight and spine are established the bow will give the best balance between transfered and retained energy. The bow is designed to transfer the energy that you gave the bow and is a fine balance that will cause problems if not respected.

If the arrow is too light in weight or too light in spine, the energy is lost to retained energy (noise, excessive strings movement after the arrow is loosed, jarring of the bow and recoil of the release hand and joints) and excessive bending of the arrow and loss of transfered energy.

If you are getting string slap before the arrow leaves the string it is due to poor form and a weak bow arm. The way you hold the bow will dictate how much energy you transfer to the bow. If your bones are in line, there will be less energy lost at your joints, so if you are looking to get the best out of your bow, your form must be consistent and correct.

What CORRECT means will be slightly different for everyone, dependent on your physique, if you are shooting the right bow for you, you will get away with a bent bow arm, but if you are not, the recoil from the bow will cause a loss of energy. This raises the question. Are you over bowed? A bow that is too heavy for you will not be able to be shot correctly by you, so therefore, is string slap prior to arrow departure from the string a symptom of poor bow selection?

If you are getting string slap after the arrow leaves the string, the strength of the slap will be a function of the balance between the bow and the arrow, so therefore, is strong string slap a function of arrow selection?

Having established the correct bow for YOU and the correct arrow for the bow string slap will be of little consideration. Shooting targets means that you will shoot many more arrows and even with a perfect form, bow, and arrow combination you will get some string slap. If you are getting no string slap, great! Shoot a couple of hundred arrows and you will eventually get some slap, this of course, is acceptable and expected.

cheers