Bad Release

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

Bad Release

#1 Post by Nephew » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Guys, I'm pretty sure of myself when it comes to shooting now. I mostly seem to get 'em CLOSE to where I want 'em but I still have a ways to go. But I still have a release problem. I have broken the shooting sequence down to seven parts (hand on bow, fingers on string, tension, line up target...) but it seems every now and then my lowest finger on the string (split release, one above, two below)) is engaged more than usual and the shot goes high. Does this happen to others, or is it just me?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbow steve

Re: Bad Release

#2 Post by longbow steve » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Is your drawing arm elbow creeping up as you get tired and your unconscious tries to save the shot causing the pluck? Try to learn to let down during practice when it doesnt feel quite right. Steve

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Moreton wrote: I have broken the shooting sequence down to seven parts (hand on bow, fingers on string, tension, line up target...)
Seven parts ??? You are OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING dude ! :roll: Seems to be a thing on this site ! Got to think about this and that etc ,, I wish I was closer to help you ,, but I aint ! Go out and shoot for the FUN of it and stop thinking /reading all the CRAP :!:
You are over anal/ysing things mate :lol:

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:31 pm

:lol: :lol:

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:43 pm

longbow steve wrote:Is your drawing arm elbow creeping up as you get tired and your unconscious tries to save the shot causing the pluck? Try to learn to let down during practice when it doesnt feel quite right. Steve
Dont you mean SUBconcious?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:48 pm

I think all of us have a little glitch every now and then mate - it's normal!!! :lol:

One thing that I found helped with a release problem was to touch the tip of your little finger with the tip of your thumb (drawing hand of course) while drawing. This seemed to help even up the pressure of the string on the three fingers. Anyway, that is what I do if I seem to be having a release problem that I can't put down to something else. :D

Jeff

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:48 pm

I dont know :)

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:54 pm

No I think I meant unconscious. :)
The unconscious mind might be defined as that part of the mind which gives rise to a collection of mental phenomena that manifest in a person's mind but which the person is not aware of at the time of their occurrence. These phenomena include unconscious feelings, unconscious or automatic skills, unnoticed perceptions, unconscious thoughts, unconscious habits and automatic reactions, complexes, hidden phobias and concealed desires. Wickepedia

Coach

#9 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:57 pm

longbow steve wrote:Wickepedia
You have NO credibility relying on the above :roll: Wickepedia ,, for gods sake man ,, it's ....Wickepedia :lol:

Blinkybill

#10 Post by Blinkybill » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Moreton,
Like Jeff said, we all have a lttle glitch every now and then. and I agree with coach, when I shoot, if anything, I think of as little as possible, that way, its all instinctive and I always find as soon as I start thinking about my shot once I've drawn the string, there is no hope of hitting the target.

Lol, wikipedia.
My history teacher told us he would fail us if we made a reference to wikipedia in an essay.

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

TomMcDonald

#11 Post by TomMcDonald » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:39 am

When you release, try to conciously make your string hand wrist go limp and see what happens. It might work for you.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com