loose nocks

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

loose nocks

#1 Post by matt61 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 am

I have been serving my strings with thinest serving I can get,but my shooting accuracy has dropped off.I am now thinking
my nocks might be to loose causing poor flight,has anyone had a similar problem.
Matt

longbow steve

Re: loose nocks

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:44 am

Loose nocks will cause inconsistent arrow flight :) . Steve

Glenn

#3 Post by Glenn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:58 am

Loose nocks aren't very good, you want your nocks to grip onto the string without being too tight as this will give you problems as well. Better of to double the serving and sand the nocks down to suit the serving if you have to...Glenn...

Stephen Georgiou

#4 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:30 am

Hi there matt,
A good guide is that the arrow suspended from the string will support itself - just.
But the bow suspended from the arrow will not.
I got this from Byron ferguson - Become the arrow, tuning section. I have used this method with good results.
The other thing in that I nock both above and below the arrow so that there is no chance of the arrow slipping out of place on release.
Some of the newer arrow nocks have a ridge that will engage into the serving reducing the need to double nock but the classic design nocks do not have the ridge so are prone to slip.
if you nock above the arrow, slipping might appear as intermittent porposing of the arrow. if you nock below the arrow slipping might appear as loss in elevation - if you gap shoot. Or the arrow will hit lower than you expected if instinctive, or you might have a slower porposing as the arrow tries to right itself.

The remedy is to use dental floss to use as an over serving to take up the slack. Mint flavour is my preference :?
Hope this helps
Regards SG

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:27 pm

The remedy is to use dental floss to use as an over serving to take up the slack. Mint flavour is my preference
Mint flavour hey, plain stuff does me. :lol:

Stephen, another way to do the nocking point area of the string with dental floss is to wrap it on first and then serve as normal. The serving covers the dental floss and looks much neater IMO.

Jeff

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Dental floss is annoying for me. Another way to fix the problem is to heat your nocks in hot water, as long as they're plastic, and squeeze the throat together till it's a good fit.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Dewi

#7 Post by Dewi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 pm

tomalophicon wrote:Dental floss is annoying for me. Another way to fix the problem is to heat your nocks in hot water, as long as they're plastic, and squeeze the throat together till it's a good fit.
I have seen this debated before. You must be good, as I would think that its unlikely that every nock would be consistant using this method. No consistancy, no acuracy. Just my opinion.

Dont be lazy, re-serve, quality manufacturers go to alot of trouble to ensure their nocks are consistant.

matt_d

#8 Post by matt_d » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Stephen, another way to do the nocking point area of the string with dental floss is to wrap it on first and then serve as normal. The serving covers the dental floss and looks much neater IMO.
That's my preferred method to get my nocks fitting perfect as well. I have also used layers of teflon thread tape under the serving too with good success. :)
Cheers,
Matt

Coach

#9 Post by Coach » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Glenn wrote: sand the nocks down to suit the serving if you have to...Glenn...
Are you serious about sanding the nocks down ?? Surely that would compromise the integrity of the nock ? Perhaps cause them to break upon release . The Hot water idea is much better IMO .
Jeff

Glenn

#10 Post by Glenn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 am

No Coach this does not effect the intregity of the nocks at all, it is only a minimal amount of sanding with very fine sandpaper or emory paper. You can also heat up the nocks with hot water and fit them to the string as well but some of the snap-on nocks are so hard the snading can be a better option.....Glenn.....

TomMcDonald

#11 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am

Dewi wrote:
tomalophicon wrote:Dental floss is annoying for me. Another way to fix the problem is to heat your nocks in hot water, as long as they're plastic, and squeeze the throat together till it's a good fit.
I have seen this debated before. You must be good, as I would think that its unlikely that every nock would be consistant using this method. No consistancy, no acuracy. Just my opinion.

Dont be lazy, re-serve, quality manufacturers go to alot of trouble to ensure their nocks are consistant.
It's not a matter of being very good, it's a matter of heating them and putting them on the string.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

matt61

#12 Post by matt61 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 am

The nocks I am using are Marco,s they fit on to the string just tight enough that if I flick the string with my finger the arrow hanging vertical off the string it will fall off.But the nock is not tight on the string it is only the throat that stops it falling off and I think what is happening is when I release because the nock at its deepest point is not gripping the string at all,the arrow rear drops down the the string to the top of where I have double served,about half an inch upon release causing poor flight and inconsistant accuracy.And this is on a sixteen strand flemish dacron string served with 0.15 serving.
Matt

longbow steve

#13 Post by longbow steve » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:23 am

Hi Matt, my nocks are tight, and dont move on the string as you describe.
If you know a good olympic recurver ask them to show you the tension that they use, I copy them :) . Steve

matt61

#14 Post by matt61 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:56 am

Steve ... The serving is the only thing that I have changed ,it has got to be the problem.I dont know any target archers but I will try a bit thicker string that I have on the bow and see if the problem goes away.
Matt

longbow steve

#15 Post by longbow steve » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Matt, I make my strings specifically for my nock size and use the same serving, they need to be tight enough for consistency as you are finding. Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 am

but I will try a bit thicker string that I have on the bow and see if the problem goes away.
I wouldn't go any thicker as in extra stands than the 16 strands you are using now as you will loose performance. I suggest just using the dental floss or similar under your serving where you nock your arra.

Jeff

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:48 am

Morning Matt
matt61 wrote:The nocks I am using are Marco,s they fit on to the string just tight enough that if I flick the string with my finger the arrow hanging vertical off the string it will fall off.But the nock is not tight on the string it is only the throat that stops it falling off and I think what is happening is when I release because the nock at its deepest point is not gripping the string at all,the arrow rear drops down the the string to the top of where I have double served,about half an inch upon release causing poor flight and inconsistant accuracy.And this is on a sixteen strand flemish dacron string served with 0.15 serving.
Matt
I doubt if the arrow is moving during the shot.

Even so, to solve your issue. Place a nocking point Above and Below where you want the arrow nocked - then it can neither move up or down,
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

ichiban

#18 Post by ichiban » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:14 am

i havent found that loose nocks cause poor arrow flight, i shoot self nocks cut in the same way as "speed nocks" i think it must depend on how you hold the nock to the string?
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy