Tuning your bow and arrows Question .Website Wrong ?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Tuning your bow and arrows Question .Website Wrong ?

#1 Post by Coach » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Take a look at this site http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm
Now in the diagram I am assuming that you are shooting from the Horizontal line , in which case , it is wrong .
If the arrow flies with the Nock end out to the right ,point to the left , surely that is a stiff arrow ? Not weak as is described ? This is assumed that the archer is right handed .
Am I reading it wrong ? :? That site has always confused me . It seems back to front !

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: Tuning your bow and arrows Question .Website Wrong ?

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm not sure which diagram you're looking at, but the first one is simply a bell curve to illustrate that a little weak or stiff might be adequate, but too weak or stiff will cause problems; the intersecting lines along the curve could equally have been simply dots, or the line could have been colour-coded somehow. It doesn't show what kicks which way when spine is askew. This diagram could definitely be clearer, as at first glance it is confusing. Perhaps it didn't even need to be a diagram. But O.L. Adcock is a good bloke who has put in a huge effort to study the fine-tuning of traditional bowhunting equipment, and has helped heaps of folks get their gear sorted-out. I don't necessarily subsribe to all his findings (for example, I'm keen to use standard-thickness strings rather than the skinny ones), but he is indeed a thoughtful fellow who constantly seeks to find why things are so, or if they are so.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Glenn

#3 Post by Glenn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Coach I would have thought that if you have an arrow that fleis and hits with nock right and point left for a right handed shooter that would be an over spined arrow....Glenn....

Axe

#4 Post by Axe » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:26 am

Coach, Glenn,

No doubt about it!
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

jindydiver

#5 Post by jindydiver » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:27 am

I believe Ben is right. The diagram has nothing to do with the attitude of the arrows at all, it is just a bell curve to show you that there is an acceptable range in spine stiffness. There is no mention anywhere in the article of arrow attitude to the target except...
That is not a good method and causes great confusion! Bare shafts sticking in a target at an angle or flying through the air sideways can be caused by shooter as well as equipment and you can not tell the difference reliably
and...
You are going to make adjustments based on where the groups are in relation to each other, not on whether the nocks are kicking one way or another. IGNORE SHAFT ANGLE! It is irrelevant.
obviously he could have avoided confusing some people by putting dots instead of lines on his bell curve.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:41 am

Yes, ignore the nock position or you will be chasing an unattainable goal.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com