The importance of a solid bow arm.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

The importance of a solid bow arm.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:12 pm

My accuracy has been lousy lately. :?

What really concerned me though was that I thought I should have been shooting well. I was shooting the bow in the backyard and I would release, what I thought would be the perfect arrow. Everything would feel perfect. The bow felt comfortable. The target picture was vivid. The release was almost perfect. And the arrow would miss the target by a metre. What was going on??

I was missing the butt either to the right or to the left and no matter what I tried, I might as well have been using a shotgun. There's wasn't any accuracy there at all, yet everything felt so good prior to release.

I focussed on my release, thinking that was the problem. Yes, the odd release wasn't perfect, but most of them were good. I focussed on maintaining skin contact between my anchor and my hand. My releases were close to perfect, yet the arrows continued to fly all over the place.

I just knew those arrows should have been landing very close to the spot, so why weren't they?

I then decided that I must be moving my bow arm. That was the only possibility left. I've often been guilty of dropping my bow arm on release, but usually it only took one bad shot for me to realise and adjust. This might have explained the odd low shot, but not missing the target by a metre, both to the left and the right.

If you move your bow arm before the arrow has left the bow, it will influence where the arrow impacts. That's pretty basic stuff, so I decided to hold the bow very solidly (not hard in my fingers, but in a fixed position in relation to the target), from full draw, to release, to the arrow impacting. I wanted to watch the whole sequence through the sight window of my bow.

It didn't take long before I realised that I had developed a really bad habit. A bad habit that I hadn't even noticed. At the moment of release, I was giving the bow a little 'flourish'. It was a little flick of my wrist and it had become ingrained in my technique. The 'flourish' wasn't even consistant. No two of them were exactly the same.

It took me a long time at the butt, concentrating solely on keeping my bow arm solid, before my little habit started to disappear. I wasn't worried about where my arrows were going, I was just concentrating on my bow arm.

I ended my day by shooting some very tight groups. 8)

My new technique is to hold my bow in the same position right through the sequence, to watch the arrow impact into the 'spot' with the bow in the same position that it was when I was at full draw.

There's always something to adversly effect your shooting. It seems to me, the longer you shoot, the more likely you are to have nasty little habits forming. The hardest part is recognising them.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Antonio

Re: The importance of a solid bow arm.

#2 Post by Antonio » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:30 am

Hi Mick that sounds good .This topic is a can of worms for me .I push and pull at the same time when drawing the bow .So with the pushing in strengthens my left bow arm .And with that extra exercise it makes it more steady for me .So my bow arm is alright .Its my bow grip that I am currently changing .I can't get to the archery range during the week so its on the week ends so I shoot on Sundays .Cause I live in the city .But every day I draw the bow 200 times and aim at a spot on the wall and let dow.so I am still working on my form .It helps .
The last few weeks I have changed my bow hand so its exactly like Howard hills bow hand .
Which is the knuckle of the thumb is in the center of the bow and my second joint of my bow hand fingers pointing at the target and is also in the center of the bow .
As it is an experiment in the progress I will tell you how it goes on Sunday .

Also on the range I will be working on just how much tork or grabbing the bow to hard will affect a shot .

Also I notice how much on Howard Hill and Byron Ferguson they seem to have theyr bow hand thumb sort of pointing at the target .I think I will leave it there before I start thinking to much .Thanks for the post Mick interesting stuff for me .

I will write about the release an other day as that is an other can of worms .There is stuff in there that I need to look at such as drawing back straight while releasing at the same time without the arrow coming forward before release or while I am drawing back not going side ways from my anchor .Its all a learning experience . :? :) :D

Dennis La Varenne

#3 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:50 am

Mick,

Howard Hill had a saying worth remembering about your problem - "Upon loosing the arrow, do nothing!"

In my better shooting days, my practice, following the Howard's dictum, was to still be in the aiming position when the arrow struck the target. I have lost that a fair bit now, but a bit of self-discipline would get me back into it again just as you found with your solution.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 am

Mick

We have all heard, "Practice makes Perfect". It is wrong!

Only, "Perfect Practice makes Perfect".

So now you need to spend a few months unlearning your bad habits.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

Good post Mick...

I have found that when you swap from field to short target to long distance target that you quickly notice your form and if it is off. Arthur Fisk taught me "push, pull, power, pose" and it works. I stare at my aim / impact point in my pre release position until I hear the arrow hit.
A lot of the "flourish" /raising/lowering your bow arm thing stems from quickly raising the head to watch the arrow combined with shooting lot of arows fast and getting ready for the next one before you have finished the first one. Your body starts to do all this whilst you are actually shooting the first arrow.......bad result.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

matt_d

#6 Post by matt_d » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:33 am

Mick, there's a mantra that I learned to keep in my mind years ago when I used to play golf competetively and have been able to transfer over to archery upon releasing and following through the shot. That is "shake hands with the target". It's a very simple thing to have in your mind, I find it works wonders with my consistency once it becomes ingrained. :)
Cheers,
Matt

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Matt, I use the push, pull, power, pose as a mantra as I shoot.

Keeps me focussed on the job and alows my subconscious to do what I practiced when tims get tough or performance is not what I practised or planned for.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

matt_d

#8 Post by matt_d » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Kevin, there's another mantra that gets taught a lot by the Koreans - Push the mountain, pull the tiger's tail.. Always liked that one! :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Yeah Mick, I find my bow arm moving at release is the cause of me shooting left (left handed) at times especially if I haven't been shooting much and need to build my strength up a bit.

Jeff

hue

#10 Post by hue » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:37 pm

hey Mick

you've just discovered what target archers call "post sighting"
keep your eye on the target and don't move the bow, nor your head, nor both!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:24 am

Howdy Hue

I didn't just discover it. I've know about the importance of this aspect of archery for a long time. In this instance, I was surprised at just how easily and how insidiously small bad habits can creep into your technique over a period of time. I was also surprised at the major effects unleashed by it.

How great would it be, to be able to develope a great technique and then be able to stick with it, through thick and thin, year after year. I suppose this is what our so called 'gun' archers do. They must have some way of maintaining their uniformity, in a stark contrast to others, such as myself, who seem to be constantly battling the 'dark side'. It's probably a mental disipline thing. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:57 am

Probably they have :
* more natural ability
* regularly practiced

That would probably do it.

Kevin