Arrow advice needed again, sorry folks i dont get wiser!

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

g_r

Arrow advice needed again, sorry folks i dont get wiser!

#1 Post by g_r » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:52 am

Hi Folks,

i wanted to ask all those who know theire way round with alloy arrows.
THe new bow is a 50# recurve, i draw 53,4# @ my 29" draw (meassured). I shoot with a dacron string.
I tried 2216 Easton Legacies in 30 inches with 125gr. upfont. They shoot well though you notice they are heavy. I get good groupings and hit well BUT doing a papertuning, they behave to heavy in spine.

I also tried some 2314 in 30" and they were perfect in paper tuning and slightly silencer with the bow, i hit slightly more inconcistent.

What should i do?

I thought about adding point weight to the 2216s but i dont know if the arrow wont get to heavy and fall like a treetrunk out of the air..... :lol:
THX for help and sugestions!
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

longbow steve

Re: Arrow advice needed again, sorry folks i dont get wiser!

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 am

Hi g_r, To me those shafts would be over spined for your setup and sap performance due to weight.
I stay away from large diameter shafts as they are affected by wind drift more over long distance and dont aid in penetration in most hunting applications. A smaller diameter shaft with a thicker wall should also be more durable.
I use 2018's out of my 57# d/r (non centre shot) with 125 up front and they weigh in at 530gr.
If you can try these they should be about right but you may have to pack the shelf out to reduce centre shot. Steve

SlowBowInMO

#3 Post by SlowBowInMO » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:28 am

The 2216's would be much too stiff for that bow. Since you draw 29" I'd suggest a 2018 if you want to stick with aluminum. Being thinner in diameter they'll penetrate a bit better for you too. :mrgreen:
Braveheart Archery
www.braveheartarchery.us

Night Wing

#4 Post by Night Wing » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:10 am

g_r,

Here is something I ran across that just might help you. I was trying to tune my bow and the Easton charts for aluminum arrows are way too stiff. But, if I would have run across this earlier, it would have saved me from some aggravation.

http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/rich_text_3.html

This is my setup and I used the link above to fine tune my bow. My recurve bow is 42# @ 30". I shoot a 32" long aluminum arrow (before point is attached). I shoot a 150 grain point (broadhead) weight. Using the link above, I found a 2018 was perfect for my setup. If I want to drop down to a 125 grain point, I would use a 2016. I like the heavier arrow so a 2018 does it for me.

If I want to go to a 200 grain point or above (190 grain Tusker Concorde plus a Zwickey 36 grain long broadhead adapter), a lighter 2213 should be perfect and it's total arrow weight would weigh close to the 2018 so my trajectory should remain the same.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 185 fps. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 174 fps. GPP: 11.37

hue

#5 Post by hue » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:18 pm

great question g_r and the answers were pretty spot on. the easton charts are a guide only and with longbow, one should go lighter than recommended, however........
how long have you been shooting?
how consistent are you?
tuning is important for overall arrow performance, but a good tune can only be acheived with consistancy.....
do you have a constant relaxed hand?
is your bow shoulder into the target?
is your anchor the same?
is your brace consistant?
etc, etc
just some thoughts

Hue
I can only be who I am

g_r

#6 Post by g_r » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:50 pm

hue,

i also thought that my shooting abilitys might affect it, i think i ruled it out by only judging about average not single shots.

Ive been shooting for 4 years now with a 3/4 year braek due to operation.
My consistency is pretty good up to 15 yards, meaning i manage good groups and 90% spot on first shots, with longer distance its getting worse, still acceptable to 20 yards, then i go down the drain...
last 4 questions all "yes". Though i lately realised that after maybe 40-50 shots i do not get the same back-tension with my new recurve, just a matter of time i suppose.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

hue

#7 Post by hue » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:27 pm

yeah g_r

but your consistency must be the same at 90 meters as it is at 10 meters.
consistency is just that mate, what i mentioned in the above post and more!
sounds like you also need to practice at whatever your max. distance is, it could be that would be helpful too!

Hue
I can only be who I am