High wrist or low wrist

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

High wrist or low wrist

#1 Post by matt61 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:30 pm

How do you tell if you hold a bow with a high wrist or a low wrist or standard grip.
Matt

DylanK

Re: High wrist or low wrist

#2 Post by DylanK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:36 pm

I think a low wrist is basically when your holding a pole upright. The more forward the handle points the higher you raise your wrist.

This is my understanding of it.

Dylan

wal

#3 Post by wal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Matt,

i thought high wrist was virtually straight with the contact point in the web between thumb and pointer and low was when there is a lot of contact further into the hand on the pad below the thumb. :oops: :oops: if that makes any sense now I read it over, but I don't claim to be any guru .

You heading to Bendigo this weekend ??

Cheers
Wayne

nathan billy

#4 Post by nathan billy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:20 pm

I have a low wrist hold but only the area between my thumb and index finger touch the bow. Dylan I think you right high wrist means exactly that, your wrist, not you hand is almost or at completely horizontal with thumb and index finger, if that makes sense?
I hunt in the water and want to hunt on land

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:32 am

My understanding of the terminology is :D a high wrist grip is like a pistol recurve grip where as a low wrist grip is a straight longbow style.
Steve

Ausarcher

#6 Post by Ausarcher » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Low wrist is basically if you were to raise your hand up to make a stop signal and then placed your hand into the bow where as a high grip is just the opposite and you have your hand more in line or flat.

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 am

Matt61,

A picture would explain much better than words here. A low wrist grip looks like a punching fist. All the knuckles are on the same vertical plane. It is the commonest way to hold a straight handled bow.

On the other hand, a high wrist grip is used usually on pistol grip or semi-pistol grip handles of bows like compounds and recurves. The fist is sloped forward with a horizontal (imaginary) line running along the top of the forearm and out over the top of the fist with the whole (or almost) of the fist below this line.

In the low wrist grip, the bow is drawn against the line of the forearm bow called the Ulna in a line with the 'heel' of the fist, whereas, in the high wrist grip, the bow is drawn against the line of the bone called the Radius. It is balanced against the web between the thumb and first finger and into the ball of the thumb called the 'thenar prominence'.

Dennis La Varenne
Attachments
LOW WRITS vs HIGH WRIST GRIPS.jpg
LOW WRITS vs HIGH WRIST GRIPS.jpg (65.16 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

matt61

#8 Post by matt61 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,Going by the picture you sent Dennis I shoot my bow with a low wrist grip, I also shoot with a bent bow arm.
Matt

Dennis La Varenne

#9 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Matt,

Nothing wrong with the bent bow arm. It is a natural shock absorber.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.