American Semi Longbow (ASL)

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

American Semi Longbow (ASL)

#1 Post by greybeard » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:13 pm

Members may have already watched this video.

Shooting three under would appear to be popular. At about 2min24sec into the video Paul McHargue appears to have the plastic nock very close to the eyeball.

Daryl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkbkLv5V6Eg

[Admin move this post to videos it is not appropriate under this heading]
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: American Semi Longbow (ASL)

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:21 am

Yes I watched the video sometime in the last couple of months. A bit of an infomercial for the brand bows they are shooting really. Other than Ben the other archers were pretty much shooting equipment, and in a style, that is just so foreign to what the simple longbow represents, IMO.

Rather than a simple bare bow, instinctive shooting with a fluid shooting style they were using what I would call a target archery style. I mean the aiming, three fingers under and sighting down the arrow and using target style arrows etc. Using a bow quiver on a longbow completely changes how the bow shoots and feels also. Having the nock of the arrow so close to the eye is not for me either.

In saying this, each to their own of course.

To me the joy of shooting a longbow is in its unencumbered simplicity!

With longbow in hand, a back quiver full of arrows and a wander in the Aussie bush; doesn't get much better than that. :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:50 pm

Jeff,

I only ever used a back quiver when in the bush but for some years now I have used a hip quiver when walking the archery ranges.

A bow quiver may have some benefits when ambushing game from a hide or tree stands as opposed to tracking game on the ground.

Some of the archers in the video appeared to use a relaxed or almost open grip on the bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:45 pm

I always used a back quiver for hunting and at archery ranges but as I got older I needed to carry more water when hunting and used a camelbak backpack water supply so had to use a different sort of quiver and ended up using a Fred Asbell quiver which is basically a bow quiver hung over the shoulder on a strap with the quiver under my arm. It worked well.

I've always used a firm closed fist around the handle of my bows as they seemed to shoot best like that.

Jeff

Kendaric

#5 Post by Kendaric » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 pm

Yes, gun barreling an arrow so close to the eye risks potential eye damage should the nock explode upon release. I'm not sure if it is correct or not, but it was my understanding some some shooting disciplines don't allow it because of the potential danger.

At least they got the type of bow type right lol.

I see that Wikipedia has updated their definition of the ASL too, as opposed to the Amercian flat bow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbow

The American longbow, also known as the American semi-longbow (ASL), and sometimes incorrectly called the American flatbow (see above for the correct definition of flatbow), was developed in the 1930s. It resulted from scientific investigation into the best cross-sectional shape for a bow limb. This research was expected to explain why the English longbow's D-section was superior to all other extant designs. Instead, it showed that the best cross-section was a simple rectangle.[2] The American longbow was developed by applying these research findings to the English longbow. The result was a more efficient and stable bow which can be made from more common woods. Because of its coincidental resemblance to some Native American bows, the American longbow was sometimes referred to as the semi-Indian bow, though the Indian bow was generally shorter. The label semi-Indian bow is more in reference to the flatbow,[3] not the longbow.

One of the primary differences between an American longbow and a flatbow - is that the flatbow has wide limbs and a narrow handle section.[4][5] The American longbow has narrow limbs and a handle that is of similar width.

The American longbow was popularised by Howard Hill and quickly displaced the English longbow as the preferred bow for target shooting at the time. Howard himself referred to it as a semi-longbow.[6] It was not long before Howard started to use fiberglass on the back and belly of his bows. Consequently, the ASL is sometimes referred to as a Hill style bow.

The American Longbow is not to be confused with what is now marketed as a modern longbow or hybrid longbow which is just modern marketing pseudo term for what was called a semi-recurve prior to the 90's. IFFA (The International Field Archery Association) does not recognize the modern or hybrid longbow as a longbow,[7] and hence these are shot in recurve divisions.[8]

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:45 am

Kendaric wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 pm The American Longbow is not to be confused with what is now marketed as a modern longbow or hybrid longbow which is just modern marketing pseudo term for what was called a semi-recurve prior to the 90's. IFFA (The International Field Archery Association) does not recognize the modern or hybrid longbow as a longbow,[7] and hence these are shot in recurve divisions.[8][/i]
Well that is good to read; finally someone has put forth the truth. The late Dennis La Varenne and I have said the above for many many years and were howled down and verbally attacked for saying such a thing. Our Traditional Archery history clearly shows that the bows we are talking about were called semi-recurves. It's a shame our Traditional Archery Australia doesn't correct their mistake and remove their Modern Longbow division and place those archers into the Recurve Division where they belong.

Jeff