Getting a long bow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

BEAST

Getting a long bow

#1 Post by BEAST » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 pm

:Bow hey everyone I'm finally getting back into archery after a 5 year break lol I've finally come to my senses anyhow I'm staying clear from the compound and I'll be getting a widow but first I'm going to get a long bow always wanted one now it's time to bite the bullet my question is
Poundage what's the best poundage to start at I was thinking 60lb as I'm a big lad and draw 80lb on my compounds with easy now do you think 60lb is ok or should I op for a 50/55 lb bow my draw lenght is 27 with the traditional gear my old border was 55lb@27 and it was a easy bow to shoot
The main reason I'd like to start with 60lb is I can use heavier arrow shafts to get over that 600grn arrows I only hint pigs and sometimes goats but I've hit pigs with light-medium arrows 450/520grn and it killed them but that was with a compounds
Am I over thinking arrow weight ?
I hope this made sense haha
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

Jim

Re: Getting a long bow

#2 Post by Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:30 am

Well welcome back mate!

What kind of Long bow are you thinking about? Classic flat limbed or modern deflex/reflex?

If you've got a club or shop nearby there's nothing like try before you buy to see what you like.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

BEAST

#3 Post by BEAST » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Classic flat laid bow howard hill style with the D shape
And I've used them all before just never got around to getting one but it was only 40lb I used before only light as
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

perry

#4 Post by perry » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:24 pm

lots of quality Flatbows on the Market. The straight grip on the Hill style Bow can take some getting used too if you have been shooting Bows with Pistol type grips which is why I recommend starting at the lighter end of your draw weight scale.

I get the heavier Arrow thing and agree with Ashby's Penetration through Bone study 100% but to a degree you are overthinking. Ed talked about the reliability threshhold and you cant argue with facts. I don't know about where you Hunt but big solid Pigs are not exactly common where I Hunt and Goats are soft and I would not feel underarmed with correctly spined well weighted Arrows, sharp Broadheads and a well tuned Flatbow with any Pig that crossed my path. I Hunted for years with 45#ish and 550ish grain Arrows with no worries and our Ancestors have done similar for tens of thousands of years. Learn to shoot the Bow well first and go from there

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin