Feathers in the Rain

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Feathers in the Rain

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Further to the members post re bows in the rain what do youall use to weather proof feathers?
Cheers
Last edited by Ian Turner on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stu Ballz

Re: Feathers in the fain

#2 Post by Stu Ballz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I have used hair spray before but the scent is sure to do you in in the field

little arrows

Re: Feathers in the fain

#3 Post by little arrows » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 pm

I cover the bulk of the arrows with a Fletch cover to keep them dry (hand dyed calico outside, with sealed top plastic inner) and just keep using the same arrow as is ..... flights lay down yes, I do not touch the flights and they recover when dry.

cheers
sue

fletch cover and matching armguard made for a customer ;)
resize_01.JPG
resize_01.JPG (39.9 KiB) Viewed 7195 times

woodie

Re: Feathers in the Rain

#4 Post by woodie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I spray my feathers with silicone spray. it works well.
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi mate what spray is that and wherdaya gitit?
Cheers

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Ian
Hardware stores sell Silicone spray - there is a small drawback, feathers are then not reusable. Which I guess probably isn't a problem anyway.
cheers
sue

Roadie

#7 Post by Roadie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 pm

I use my wife's hair spray on the feathers, it keeps her hair neat and tidy in the rain and it works well on my feathers as well. Cheers Roadie

temudjin

#8 Post by temudjin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm

3 Rivers Archery sell a powder that weatherproofs feathers called Bohning Feather Dry... you can find it at this link:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/feather- ... owder.html

I have a bottle but have never used it so don't know if it works but might be worth a look as its specifically designed for feathers.

Ronster

#9 Post by Ronster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 pm

IMHO, if you bare shaft tune your arrows they will still fly straight when wet. I have used powder some years back and feathers never come back the same.

Ronster :character-
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

perry

#10 Post by perry » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 am

Rons on the money, properly Spined Target Arrows will still fly well when the Feathers lay Flat in the Rain. The real trouble is we are mostly using domestic stripped and dyed Turkey Feathers so all natural oils have been removed. I am getting my NSWDPI R Licence and a Waterbirds Permit soon so I will be able to get some naturally Water resistant Feathers from Ducks. I'd love to legally get hold of some wild Goose or Swan Feathers but not in my neck of the Woods.

Has anyone used Magpie Geese Feathers ?
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Ian Turner

#11 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi Perry, Ron, you are right of course but i gave up trying to bareshaft tune with woods because i was breaking shafts all to often.
Could be thaty my target was to hard and wouldnt allow the arrow to flex on hitting so it snapped.

Cheers

perry

#12 Post by perry » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm

I use a shot out 3D Target and never shoot more than 7 Arrow length's with unfletched Arrow Shafts until I have the brace height and nock height set correctly. Also long experience and a spine jig allow me to be in the ball park from the start. I find longer Arrows are also more forgiving of spine.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Ian Turner

#13 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 am

Hi Perry i too have a spine jig and i try to get close to what i think will work but i think that like you i need a soft target so that the front of the arrow doesnt stop dead whilst the rest is still wobbling and hence the snapping.
Carbons and aluminiums seem fine tho cheers

Axe

#14 Post by Axe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am

I do nothing other than "tap'' the arrow against my leg to remove excess water off the feathers, arrows shoot fine...the obvious other option in the rain is to use vanes,contrary to some opinions they do work.
The powder, IMHO, it is rubbish and should be handled carefully as it is not something one needs to inhale.
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"