Shooting in the rain

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

jesse1987

Shooting in the rain

#1 Post by jesse1987 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Probably a stupid question but would shooting a wooden recurve in the rain wreck it ?is there anything you can use as a preventative to stop any problems or nothing to worry about ? Cheers

woodie

Re: Shooting in the rain

#2 Post by woodie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:29 pm

It should be ok but you could give your bow a few coats of gun stock oil. I use that on my bows.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Kendaric

#3 Post by Kendaric » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 pm

jesse1987 wrote:Probably a stupid question but would shooting a wooden recurve in the rain wreck it ?is there anything you can use as a preventative to stop any problems or nothing to worry about ? Cheers
Are you talking about a laminated recurve or a selfbow?

The previous suggestion is good, or use a Danish or Scandinavian oil (which dries) or a beewax/oil polish combination, on a laminated recurve. Most laminated recurves have a protective coating anyway, of various types, be it an oil finish or acrylic finish (typical of entry level timber recurves on the later).

If a self bow, personally I would not shoot that in the rain regardless.

A good beeswax/oil polish combination you can make at home is:

3 parts beeswax
1 part carnauba wax
4 parts linseed oil
4 parts turps.

If a take down recurve - make sure you remove the limbs, when drying out and/or coating with polish.

Parrbd

#4 Post by Parrbd » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Dubbin works for me.

perry

#5 Post by perry » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am

you can also saturate a rag with the above Wax mix, keep it in a plastic Bag in your Quiver and wipe it over the Bow and even your Arrows.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin