serving

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ontothepigs

serving

#1 Post by ontothepigs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Hey guys, just trying to figure out what size serving material i need. I have heritage carbons i am shooting off a dacron string and the nocks are a bit too loose. It is a new second hand bow so couldnt tell you anything else about the string (and i dont know much about trad).

Dont really want to buy three spools.

Or....maybe a good question might be if you were going to buy one size spool of serving what would it be.

As it is an older bow it wont ever have fast flight strings on it.

Cheers
Flatline #52
Java man Falcon #52 @ 29, 60"

clinton miller

Re: serving

#2 Post by clinton miller » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 pm

is it the bow in your signature?

i've only ever used brownell No4 serving. i double serve and flie the nocks to get the desired nock fit.

being a dacron string it is probably a fatter string than the 8 strand D97 i use so single serving might be enough.

some people build overly fat strings to get the right nock fit but this robs the bow of performance. IMO it's better to double serve and/or file the nocks.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

ontothepigs

#3 Post by ontothepigs » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Thank Clint. I just bought the flatliner that was for sale on here, pumped with the purchase! I have never done any of this sort of stuff before and wanted to buy the right stuff the first time. Double serving might be the go, i wanted to have a crack at doing the knots and sorting it out for myself. Maybe if it was double served it might need the nocks filed. They are pretty loose at the moment, sliding on the served section of the string

Thanks again
Flatline #52
Java man Falcon #52 @ 29, 60"

clinton miller

#4 Post by clinton miller » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:57 pm

that bow would do better with a fastflight string over the dacron.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Tue May 12, 2015 5:59 pm

If I need to beef up a string to get good nock fit, I just do little serving of dental floss where the nock sits until I get just the right fit. It usually lasts for ages and is a cinch to replace.

Cheers... Rod