Who consciously uses back tension to improve their accuracy?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Who consciously uses back tension to improve their accuracy?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:19 am

I've been doing a lot of experimentation in recent years in an effort to find out why my accuracy has often been less than optimal. My shooting has always been very inconsistent. One day I would shoot surprisingly well and the next day my results would be less than mediocre.

I'm now firmly convinced that by using back tension as a part of my normal routine, my shooting is now far more consistent than ever before.

The beauty of using back tension, I believe, is that it makes you more balanced and rigid when at full draw, with solid 'bone to bone' connections. It improves the angles involved between your shoulders and arms. It lessens the reliance on muscle tension to hold form and relies more on the skeletal structure instead.

Since adopting this technique, I have found that my releases seem smoother and my bow doesn't tend to jump to one side or the other, as it used to do. It's much easier to follow through, as my muscles aren't fighting each other to hold the bow still. A good follow though is totally essential for me. It also seems to give me a more consistent draw length, allowing me more accuracy on those very long shots.

More than anything else, it gives me the confidence that my arrow will probably land very close to where I want it to, every time.

Have you given it a go?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

littlejohn59

Re: Who consciously uses back tension to improve their accur

#2 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:03 am

yep

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:58 pm

littlejohn59 wrote:yep
It may only be one word, but it does tell me something. I've seen you shoot littlejohn59 and I've seen the results. Obviously, you are doing something right and perhaps using back tension goes some way towards explaining it.

It almost goes without saying that most target archers are very conscious of using back tension to improve their scores. It's not something that's new and it doesn't take any extra time or effort to shoot in this manner.

There's nothing mysterious about it either. It's just a matter of coming to a full draw and then pushing your shoulder blades together. This tends to lock them into a position that's repeatable every time you shoot. I find that it tends to add about an inch to my draw length too.

It's not a magic bullet. It won't suddenly turn you into a great shot, but it will help. You've still got to get the distance and the trajectory right. You've still got to focus on the target to ensure you're lined up to hit it. You've still got to make a good clean release. And, you've still got to follow though.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:01 pm

No Mick I do not do it consciously. The way I draw the bow lends itself as an automatic response.

cheers
sue

The Ranger

#5 Post by The Ranger » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Mick, I squeeze my shoulder blades together however I notice after about 30-40 arrows I start to get a bit slack and let my form slip. After that I need to concentrate on getting my form right and my shoulder blades together.
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:07 am

Yes, I know what you're saying. I was at my local range the other day and I started the day off with some, for me, excellent shooting. I was shooting at ABA paper animal targets at various distances and I was getting 20s and 18s every time.

Then the rot started to set in. I started getting a few 16s and then I started to wash on a few. It was frustrating. Then it occurred to me, I wasn't observing my earlier form. I got so carried away with enjoying the day, I'd forgotten about back tension. I had started to fall back into my old ways of shooting far too quickly and I wasn't following though at all. This method works well when snap shooting at moving targets, but it isn't a good technique when you've got the time to make the shot count.

Once I realised this, I consciously thought about what I was doing and guess what, I started getting 20s and 18s again. It's so easy to lose your concentration. I probably need to do a lot of blank bale work to get the technique totally ingrained into my head, but it's much more fun to shoot at targets.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:09 am

little arrows wrote:No Mick I do not do it consciously. The way I draw the bow lends itself as an automatic response.

cheers
sue

You're lucky Sue. That's the way it's meant to be. :wink:

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:23 am

Just to summarise this thread. It appears that only a very small proportion of our members use back tension as a part of their everyday form.

I think I know the reasons for this. I'd say that most trad archers would regard this technique as being more for target archers, as opposed to 3D shooting and hunting. It is true that the technique is used widely by target archers. It is used because it delivers provable results.

I'd go so far as to say, that if you didn't use this method for deliberate shooting at stationary targets, you are probably handicapping yourself. It's not the technique for hunting pigs in thick lignum or running rabbits in bracken though. It is a great technique for 3D shooting however.

If you haven't tried it, I would suggest that you study it up and give it a go. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

scuzz

#9 Post by scuzz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi Mick,

I find back tension is necessary to get the forearm of your draw-arm inline with your arrow. I find that without back tension your more prone to throwing your bow arm to the left (for a right hander) due to missalignment and possibly throwing your bow arm the other way through subconscious correction. I guess back tension could possibly be classed as an 'advanced' technique but I think it's a necessary part of anyones form who is serious about improving their accuracy, no matter what branch of archery you are involved in.

With practice back tension is an automated part of your draw sequence. I havn't hunted since I was a teenager (10 years ago) and I didn't hunt a great deal then so I'm not sure what your saying about hunting in thick environments, unless the environment is so thick that your not able to come to full draw due to a lack of space?

:twocents-mytwocents:

Cheers,
Scuzz

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Scuzz.

I suppose I was talking about situations where you have to shoot in a split second, or where you might not have the time or the ability to align your feet properly, or where you might not even have the time to come to a full draw. I must admit, I've never tried to use back tension in these circumstances, so maybe it is possible. I know that when I shoot at stationary targets I like to have my feet aligned perfectly, which in turn means my shoulders will be aligned just where I want them. This in turn, means that I am able to use back tension in the way that I'm familiar with.

Personally, I find that when I'm in a situation where I'm relying on my fast reflexes to get a shot away, I'm usually standing more front on and I tend to shoot the moment I reach my anchor. My feet could be anywhere. Most people would call this sort of shooting 'snap shooting'. You might say shooting in this manner is falling back into poor form and it probably is, but it is certainly quick. Perhaps I would be better off just shooting the one way all of the time, even if that meant forgoing the possibility of getting a shot away under some circumstances. You see, I've very much come from a hunting background. I would have described my normal method of shooting as snap shooting, right up until the time I decided to try a more deliberate technique, which includes the use of back tension. When I first started to shoot at targets I didn't change my technique initially. It took me a long time to realise that there might be a better way to shoot at targets that didn't move.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:37 pm

"Who consciously uses back tension..."

Mick, I realise it is part of a shooting technique but also I think it is 'horses for courses.'

How many people consciously use back tension when shooting at rolling discs, running targets and timed speed rounds?

I guess that success relies on the archers ability to be able to alternate between differing techniques particularly when it comes to hunting.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

littlejohn59

#12 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:02 pm

I read with interest...

Why is not possible to hunt using back tension?

Me thinks there is only 1 way to draw back a bow string and that is using muscles. The difference is which ones are doing the majority of work. Arm muscles or back muscles. Use your arm muscles and you will tire more quickly if shooting lots of arrows. As you tire you will tend to arrow creep and will tend to shoot lower as the days wears on. Use back muscles and you should tire less slower over a day. Back tension is great for when shooting a heavier bow weight.

Now when hunting you will probably loose a maximum of 2 or 3 arrows for the day. So using your arm muscles is not really critical. Archers can shoot at least 3 arrows per day without tiring. When hunting me thinks one important issue is getting your shoulders around so that they are pointing at your prey before you loose.

I agree with scuzz back tension does give a better alignment. However when hunting with adrenalin running high and the excitement of an upcoming kill we don't always do things technically right?....... do we? ...be honest now!

You are right Daryl. Whatever works and is accurate for you. by all means use it.

Just my :twocents-mytwocents: worth

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 pm

There are many situations when hunting, when you have all the time in the world to make the shot. This is when I will do everything within my ability to make the shot the very best it can be. I adopt my normal sequence procedure/mantra, which includes foot placement, shoulder alignment, slightly bent bow arm, good solid anchor, back tension and follow though. I did this not very long ago, when I whistled up a fox that would come no closer than 30 metres. My shot was good, but when the arrow landed, the fox was no longer there.

dartonian

#14 Post by dartonian » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:59 pm

Mick,

For target (field) shooting I find if I'm not shooting well then consciously going through the mantra of draw... anchor... lock ( lock the back muscles) as I'm shooting returns my form. Aiming is then something I don't actually think about in the shot process.
Whereas thinking about aiming is all I think about when I'm missing consistently!!!

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Yes Paul, there's always something you forget to do. Just the other day I found that some of my shots were going a bit to the left. It took me a while before I discovered that, although I was doing everything else all right, my release wasn't good, in that I was sometimes not coming to a good solid anchor. I was touching the corner of my mouth, but only just. This meant the nock on my arrow wasn't directly under my eye. Once I realised my small fault and started to anchor firmly my shooting improved heaps.

perry

#16 Post by perry » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 pm

I have always Practiced to develop an ingrained Shot Sequence. Idea being Back Tension is NOT a conscious decision.

I always struggled with correct Skeletal Alignment due to my Solid Physique not allowing it. Even attempting to Squeeze my Shoulder Blades together was not something I could do. Once I switched from a Stand and Deliver type Form as I was originally Coached to a Swing Draw as used by the likes of Howard Hill I found I could achieve consistent Back Tension. The Push / Pull going on with a Swing Draw sets your Back Muscles up to work more.

I was Coached initially to Stand Tall, rotate my Right Elbow and this would allow me to Squeeze my Shoulder Blades together, Not gunna happen - I Find if my Shooting goes off I have got Lazy with my Bow Arm, the clue is to keep pushing with it when at Anchor. Not so that your actively increasing your Draw but so that you Feel the Muscles between your Shoulder Blades work. Try it without a Bow, just stand as if at full Draw and push, you'll feel it !

An easy Check for correct Back Tension - after Release your will Fingers Point Down, if they point straight out - no Back Tension !

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin