four feathers off the shelf?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Lukefenech

four feathers off the shelf?

#1 Post by Lukefenech » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Wondering if any of my learned friends out there have had success with four feathers shooting off the shelf. I am going to try tomorrow for interests sake. 4" shield cut all at 90 degrees.

I always liked 4 vanes with my wheelie bow because nock orientation was always correct. I didn't have to look at all, just click it onto the string and I knew it was right.

Cheers.

Luke

UPTHETOP

Re: four feathers off the shelf?

#2 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Very much the same Luke you may benefit when shooting a speed round or when hunting and you need a quick shot away it doesn't mater how it goes on the string it is the same both sides of the arrow. The only difference MAYBE a little more drag and noise from the arrow due to it having 16 inches of feather surface instead of 12. But this would be minimal at a short distance.
Good to see you posting on the site mate and not getting to wet up there at the moment.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Lukefenech

#3 Post by Lukefenech » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:20 pm

UPTHETOP wrote:Very much the same Luke you may benefit when shooting a speed round or when hunting and you need a quick shot away it doesn't mater how it goes on the string it is the same both sides of the arrow. The only difference MAYBE a little more drag and noise from the arrow due to it having 16 inches of feather surface instead of 12. But this would be minimal at a short distance.
Good to see you posting on the site mate and not getting to wet up there at the moment.

Cheers Wayno

Thanks Wayno, It's hammering down here at the moment but I try not to complain about rain too much. Water is so precious.

I will experiment tomorrow and see how I go.

Kind regards.

BowmanBjorn

#4 Post by BowmanBjorn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 pm

I shoot both 3 and 4 feather configs off the shelf on my flat bow.

The 3 feathers are faster and drop less at distance but the 3 feather arrows straighten up much more Quickly and are great out to around 20-25m

I can't tell any difference with noise but the extra drag is noticeable as the arrow begins to drop more at longer shot distances.
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

Lukefenech

#5 Post by Lukefenech » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:28 am

BowmanBjorn wrote:I shoot both 3 and 4 feather configs off the shelf on my flat bow.

The 3 feathers are faster and drop less at distance but the 3 feather arrows straighten up much more Quickly and are great out to around 20-25m

I can't tell any difference with noise but the extra drag is noticeable as the arrow begins to drop more at longer shot distances.
Hey Bowmanbjorn, you are in Cairns also!!

Kendaric

#6 Post by Kendaric » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Only thing is, some may say that the only problem with 4 fletches on timber arrows is that you may not be aware so easily of the grain orientation, whether the grain run out is up (preferred) or down (potentially more dangerous).

Nock out indicator could be good here and or odd colour for the outer pair of fletches.

Some also don't seem to concern themselves with grain orientation.

Whilst it may be a rare thing for timber arrow to shear apart, should it actually happen, I'd prefer it to shear up and away from my bowarm, and not down and into it.

Lukefenech

#7 Post by Lukefenech » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Kendaric wrote:Only thing is, some may say that the only problem with 4 fletches on timber arrows is that you may not be aware so easily of the grain orientation, whether the grain run out is up (preferred) or down (potentially more dangerous).

Nock out indicator could be good here and or odd colour for the outer pair of fletches.

Some also don't seem to concern themselves with grain orientation.

Whilst it may be a rare thing for timber arrow to shear apart, should it actually happen, I'd prefer it to shear up and away from my bowarm, and not down and into it.

Good info Kendrick, at this stage though I am still using carbon arrows. I am going to concentrate on being able to shoot to an acceptable level first and then learn the added art/skill of making and shooting wood shafts. It's challenging enough at the moment!!

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Since I've been bare shaft tuning my arrows, I've found that I don't need anywhere near as much fletching as I once used, as my arrows don't even really need fletching to fly well. With this in mind, when I made my last set of 12 arrows, I cut my 4 inch fletches very low, to about half the normal height. This way I still had the regulation 12 inches of fletching for those times when the rules dictated that I needed it, yet I didn't have anywhere near the same amount of drag acting on slowing my arrows down at longer ranges. It worked very well.

Of course, you would need to own a 'Little Chopper' fletch making tool in order to be able to do it. I've owned one for years. To make the low, streamlined fletches, all you have to do is cut an elongated ramp shaped strip of cardboard that is then taped onto the cutter where the base of the feather sits, so the feather sits that little bit higher and consequently the final cut is however high you might want to make it, depending on how high you make the cardboard strip.

These super low fletches would be perfect to put on your 4 x 4 inch fletched arrows. My Little Chopper has paid for itself many times over the years in which I've owned it. You will get 2 x 4 inch fletches from each full length feather, which cuts the costs immensely.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

toby

#9 Post by toby » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:50 am

As Kendaric mentioned it is important on wood arrows with the grain orientation & run out for safety & if you really want to be technical when you spine wood shafts yourself you will see there is a stiffer & weaker side to most shafts & you can mark this as some actually shoot cock feather in on there trad gear. This variation can vary a bit between shafts & would make a slight difference over a set of arrows. Not that I shoot good enough to notice the difference that much.

Speed & Noise between 3 & 4 Fletch depend more on fletch shape, height & surface area than on how many fletches you have.

Bare shaft tuning can reduce the need for the amount of fletching height & surface area required to have an arrow recover from archers paradox, but I still prefer to have more fletching on any hunting arrows with large wide broad heads especially if shooting at close distances, it's not as important for shooting field points.

Four 4" fletches are great on hunting arrows for some of the modern low brace height recurves & three 4" fletches for field points
(5" fletches actually touch the shelf of one of my bows).

By the way when shooting carbons on a traditional bow you should still check the spine as I have come across quite a variation in some shafts. As an example when a manufacturer marks a shaft suitable for between 35lb - 55lb that is a large variation. Shot on a compound with a centre shot drop away rest the shaft reacts differently to being shot off the shelf on a long bow. Shaft length, Point weight & fletching become a little more important.
Lyonel

perry

#10 Post by perry » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:16 pm

I often use 4.5' Feathers because of my Selfbows low Brace, 4 Fletch, 120 / 60 degree's. Its been years since I shot 4 x 90 Degree Fletches. No problem off my Hand or off the Shelf.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin