Glove or Tab ?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ddrage1

Glove or Tab ?

#1 Post by ddrage1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:06 am

So now that i have lost my glove.
what are the merits of using a tab over a glove? is it shooting style or personal preference?

dean

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Glove or Tab ?

#2 Post by greybeard » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:50 am

Dean,

I think it is a matter of what you feel comfortable with and works for you.

I was always comfortable with the Bear Elk Skin Glove but they went off the market. Although I tried other brands they never felt right.

A fellow archer talked me into trying a tab which at first felt 'different' but after a few target rounds all was well.

For me the tab is excellent and I would not go back to a glove. There are a lot of different tabs available so it is a matter of which one feels right for you.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:23 am

Yes, as Daryl said, it comes down to personal preferences. I always used to wear a glove, then one day many years ago, I decided to try using a tab, just to see what they were like. These days I much prefer a tab. A tab isn't hot to wear in the summer. It leaves my hands relatively free, meaning I have more dexterity for doing other things. I like they way I can actually feel the nock of the arrow against my bare skin. A tab can be quickly taken off and dropped into my pocket when its not required.

Some very good archers swear by the glove and I trust their judgement. They must have some good points. I suggest that you try them both and then decide for yourself.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

toby

#4 Post by toby » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:17 am

Glove all the way. Both will do the job well so I guess its just personal choice, I have never lost a glove in the field but I have seen plenty of people loose there tabs. I remember hunting with a mate years ago who used a tab, he lost it the first morning of a four day hunt over Easter, it simply fell off his finger while walking through the bush & we back tracked but could not find it & it was the only one he had with him. He learnt that day to always carry an extra one.

The type of glove I use.
Attachments
Big Shot Glove.jpg
Big Shot Glove.jpg (106.3 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Last edited by toby on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyonel

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:25 am

I always carry an extra tab or two, I must admit. Having a spare is always handy when it's wet anyway.

One negative aspect of using a tab is they're a little slower to use when a quick second shot is required. A tab will often tend to fold over on itself when you're in a hurry, whereas a glove never will. The difference isn't huge, but it's there, IMO.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:19 pm

I have never found a comfortable Shooting Glove. The majority of my Shooting has been with Bare Fingers. I did have hard Hands from Work and many tens of thousands of Arrows but when I don't shoot much my Fingers soften up and I then use a Tab. It is a Homemade single layer of thin Kangaroo Hide. A few weeks, my Fingers harden up again and it goes back in the Quiver Pocket

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

littlejohn59

#7 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:43 pm

like so much in archery, much is personal tastes and comfortability. I suggest you try both types. Something to be aware of with a glove is the amount of finger padding. Gloves vary in thickness as does the type of finger padding. With a glove you want to be able to feel the string with your fingers yet not have the string hurt your fingers after a days shoot. Enjoy the quest.

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:41 pm

There's one more thing that I forgot to mention previously. One of the main reasons why I prefer to shoot with a tab is something you might not have considered. It has to do with aligning the arrow directly under my eye. I find I can do this more naturally with a tab, as there's nothing at the end of my fingers that hinders my anchor from getting as close as possible to my face. I push my finger into the corner of my mouth until the arrow is directly below my eye. When I try to do this wearing gloves, I struggle to be able to get the arrow under my eye, as it's too far to the right.

I find that when I'm using a tab, I will hold the string very close to the edge of the tab. By holding it closer to the edge, I find that I can also get the arrow under my eye more easily. Whereas, when I wear a glove, the non forgiving nature of the finger stalls on the glove make holding the string on the pads of my fingers is almost impossible. I have to hold the string on the inside of my first set of knuckles, which then places the arrow further to the right and away from under my eye.

It's nitty gritty stuff, I know, but it does make a difference.