Eye dominance changing?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

Eye dominance changing?

#1 Post by rodlonq » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Up till recently I feel my right eye has always been fairly dominant. I do everything that depends on eye dominance (and everything else too) right handed. Just lately I have been occasionally experiencing some blurring of the target when practicing. Sometimes I even see two targets like when you hold your finger up only 3" in front of your nose. I don't hold at full draw for any length of time. In fact I usually loose as soon as I hit anchor or at the most just momentarily after. That is unless I am following a running boar target or such. I also have built the habit of picking a spot and it seems the harder I try the worse the problem is. If I just look at the whole target, it doesn't blur, but I don't hit the spot either. It is getting frustrating to the point where flinging arrows is not so much fun anymore and is adversely affecting my accuracy as well? I hope it all just goes away soon.

Is it possible my eye dominance is changing? Has this happened to anyone else? How did you get over it?

Cheers... Rod

bigbob

Re: Eye dominance changing?

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:07 pm

I don't have quite the same problem but shoot with both eyes open and sometimes find I've addressed the arrow with the left eye resulting in a wayward arrow. It is often not something i pick up on straight away either.Seems I 'swap' back and forth but I am definitely still right eye dominant.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Rod, It is easy to see which is your dominant eye by holding your arm out in front of you and pointing your finger at a small object (have both eyes open). After that close one eye and if your finger is still pointing at the object that is your dominant eye. Repeat with your other eye as your finger should then be pointing to the side of the object. If both eyes are similar your finger could be pointing at the object with either eye closed.

Do you shoot with glasses on? If so do they have multi-focal lenses? I ask as I had a mate who was having trouble with the double vision. He could shoot groups but they were to the left of where he wanted to hit (right hand shooter). One practice session I told him to take his glasses off and he immediately started to hit the mark. He ended up getting a set of single vision lenses for shooting which fixed his problem. I use glasses with multi-focal lenses and don't have a problem except the fact I have to wear glasses. :lol:

One other thing; you aren't unconsciously looking at the tip of your arrow when you really concentrate as that may cause the double vision?

I hope you get it sorted.

Jeff

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks for your input fellas. You may have it Jeff. I wear glasses with graduated lenses because my close up script is quite different to my distance script. I can't practically get away with single script lenses because I would constantly have to change glasses all the time. The thing is, I have been wearing them for years and never had this problem until just recently. Perhaps I am due for a trip to the optometrist to see if I need a new specification on my lenses. On one hand I hope so because I would like to start shooting straight again. On the other hand I only got new glasses and sunnies about 18 months ago and the cost is still hurting :shock: .

Cheers... Rod

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 pm

I very much doubt it will be your eyes changing their dominance Rod. It's possible I suppose, but I'd say your lack of target clarity would be more likely to be related to your eyesight changing. It can be hard to hit a target that you can't see properly. You need to have a sharp focus in order to be able to fully concentrate hitting that all important spot.

I too wear glasses. I had a pair of graduated lens glasses, but I just don't wear them. I got sick of tripping over everything and the way the images changed as I walked along made me feel seasick. For me, the best solution was to have two pairs of glasses, one for distance and one for reading.

I used to be able to shoot quite well, while wearing my distance glasses, but for some strange reason I now have difficulties. I've probably changed my form slightly and now when I look at the target it is located right on the edge of my glasses where the frame is. I probably need to open up my stance a bit, in order to see it more clearly. I've been shooting without my glasses lately and I know just how hard it can be to concentrate on a blurry target.

I hope you sort it out. It might pay to see your optician for advice. He's the expert.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Roadie

#6 Post by Roadie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Ay Rod have you had your Eyes checked for Cataracts, might pay to have them seen to. Cheers Roadie.

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Rod,

Get your eyes checked again at the optometrist. It is unusual for eyesight to change so dramatically in such a short time. I cannot offer any kind of prospective diagnosis because my Nursing training barely touched on Ophthalmology. But there are other systemic medical issues which can affect vision such as diabetes which can cause blockage of the small arteries behind the retina. That is only one cause. There are others and you may well need a referral.

Take it as a sign of nothing good and get looked at asap. With a small amount of good luck, it may well turn out to be nothing or transitory.

Get your eyes sorted and the shooting will take care of itself.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks for your input fellas. A lot of good advice there. Looks like I'm of to the Optometrist ASAP.

Cheers... Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:46 pm

rodlonq wrote:I wear glasses with graduated lenses because my close up script is quite different to my distance script.
Rod, I was meaning graduated lenses. I have similar problems to you script wise. The prices of glasses in Australia is outragous alright!!! :x

Please let us know what your optometrist thinks.

Jeff