Peoples thoughts on Lars Andersen's shooting style?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Re: Peoples thoughts on Lars Andersen's shooting style?

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:18 am

This same clip was posted 2 days ago. See http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15383 . There was only one response to the original thread.

What do I think about Lars Andersen's shooting style? I think he is shooting a very light draw weight bow and he rarely even comes close to reaching full draw. His flamboyant flourishes after he shoots is probably more suited to a stage presentation than anywhere else. I also believe he must be using arrows with square off ends, rather than arrows with typical nocks, as I can't believe than anyone could nock proper nocks as quickly as that. I believe his hypothesis about the history of archery in war is largely untrue. He bases his beliefs on a few old paintings and statues which may or may not be realistic. I believe that throughout history archers involved in warfare have opted to use relatively heavy bows, not the very lightweight bows that Lars prefers. If he tried to do the same tricks with a 60 or 70lb bow, his speed would drop considerably. Having said all that, he is still a remarkable archer, with phenomenal speed with reasonable accuracy. I don't believe his methods have much to do with traditional archery as we know it, other than he uses a traditional bow.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:18 pm

I agree with much of what Mick says.

His style isn't much use for Bowhunting IMO.

Jeff

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:55 pm

You can see that he is shooting very low poundage when he swings the arrow against the bow riser by how floppy/soft it is. And he shoots with a pinch grip. But like anything lots of practice and specialized gear to suit the situation.
Still impressive though.
Matt

Mattkaye

#5 Post by Mattkaye » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm

I will say, that I'm not a fan of it at all. Maby im just a "Hater" but to me it seems all for show. Most of his shots are very close from 5-20 metres and I know I don't even need to look to shoot that far now, also his form is terrible and totally inconsistent. I just imagin it's going to encourage a lot of impressionable people to start messing around with bows doing "stunts". And with enough takes anyone could make a video of all their best shots and put it together and it would look pretty good.

Also shooting an arrow out the air, seriously! Can't wait to hear on the news that a kid has tried this and got himself seriously hurt/dead!

slowhand

#6 Post by slowhand » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

He is good , better tan many of us but not as good as he wants us to believe
pay attention @ 3:06 few frames missing (the guy in white T shirt)
regardless
My respect
Trickster and seductress we
tapdancing on mine field every day...
in volatile sway...
Young and Freud would kill each other over us,
yet somehow we just stay...
on our way...

ron300wm

#7 Post by ron300wm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Slowhand is it the lack of arrow that was not shoot

perry

#8 Post by perry » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Matt, I know plenty of Traditional Archers that only want to Shoot from 5 Metres to 20 Metres, they still look at the Target plenty Hard :mrgreen:

Maybe Lars knows something most of us don't ??????? I think we need to look past the Flash and see if he might actually be onto something. To my Eyes it's very Strange also.

I understand why folks are critical or skeptical when presented with something they have not seen before. There is enough information out there in Internet Land, in Libraries etc to back up a lot of what he is doing, look for it yourselves - I have seen footage of and read enough to have my eyes opened real wide on how limited the Western Archery we practice is.

Give him a heavier Bow and I think you'll find he has it worked out, he may well be slower, so what !!! I'll lay odds he'll be plenty faster than I could ever dream of being. Take fast Draw Pistol Shooters, they all shoot very reduced almost zero Recoil Loads, they are trying to be fast and Accurate, you cant be that Fast with Fire Belching Full Bore Loads. What about that Hungarian Fella Kassai, what he does is strange to Western Traditional Archers Eyes also, he just doesn't Hype up his Clips. Only way to expand ones horizons is too keep an open Mind.

A couple of Years ago I researched how a Bow was Shot across the Eurasian Steppe, Asia and in the Middle East, it Plain did my feeble Western Biased nearly 4 Decades in Archery Mind in. Push come to Shove I was not prepared to Walk away from Archery as I knew it and learn an Alternative Method.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Kendaric

#9 Post by Kendaric » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:28 pm

You tube response debunking Lar's claims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4

Stu Ballz

#10 Post by Stu Ballz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:24 pm

:clap:

Roadie

#11 Post by Roadie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:32 pm

I like, she is great. Cheers Roadie.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Kendaric wrote:You tube response debunking Lar's claims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4
Good to see somebody countering some of the incorrect info in his video.

Jeff

perry

#13 Post by perry » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:45 pm

None the less Archery as most of us practice has it's limitations and this has been highlighted. He is very skilled and I'd like to see him shoot without all the Flash and the 1/2" wide Nocks. I'm actually not that interested in the Flashy Bits, just the bits and pieces of Techniques he has adapted, like She says do what works. Take Kassai for instance, I was taught not to pass the Arrow between the String and Riser, yet doing this as Kassai does puts the Fingers in a better position to get the Arrow Nocked more quickly, cuts down on movement and allows a faster Arrow to be Shot.

We live in an information overload Age so why not take advantage of this and see if we can incorporate some of these Techniques and advance our Skills. My time Shooting is virtually done due to Medical issues so I cant but I'd dearly love to see some Ozbowers adopt some of these Techniques and hand it to the next generation. I know Rob McKenzie and his Son Simon where practicing passing the Arrow between String and Riser and where getting encouraging results.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

ron300wm

#14 Post by ron300wm » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:03 pm

He is a good archer . But a better illusionist .

littlejohn59

#15 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:49 pm

I found it entertaining.....Regardless,.....the man has put in the hard yards.

perry

#16 Post by perry » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:21 am

Folks here's a similar thread on the Asian Traditional Archery Forum, some interesting Posts

http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2736

While your there have a good look around

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

scuzz

#17 Post by scuzz » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:44 pm

I havn't read the other thread links, but this is my view.

I think he's skill in fast shooting is impressive, and I think such a shooting style would me highly effective in a busy close-combat situation. I wouldn't have any hesitation to praise him on his achievement if he had have presented the video in a different light. The whole "this is the only true way of traditional archery" theme of the video is pig headed and simply nonsense. If he had have said "this is where I researched, and this is what I have achieved, and these are the benefits in comparison to the average traditional archer of today" I believe he would have a lot more respect from the traditional community.

It would be nice to see an impressive english longbowmen shooting the average poundage of the era (was it 120lb?) with the associated bod-kin heads and arrows, and showing the impact difference on the targets he was shooting. And even accuracy differences at the longer ranges, i've always found I received flatter projectory with higher weight.

:twocents-mytwocents:

Cheers,
Scuzz

perry

#18 Post by perry » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:52 am

Just wondering if anyone read Bebe's post in the link I supplied ? where he confirms some of Lars Andersons claims and Skills demonstrated as legitimate. Overall they where not particularly complimentary though.

I have this Book http://books.google.com.au/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y which quotes references and gives details from centuries old Middle Eastern and Asian manuscripts the Skillsets required of Military Archers so there is information out there.

Like I said before keep I don't care for the flashy bits in the Footage, just the methods used. Keep an open mind, there is much to learn from the past if you want to look for it

regards

- Charles Darwin