New archer buying his first traditional bow! Wisdom sought..

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Stix N Stringz

New archer buying his first traditional bow! Wisdom sought..

#1 Post by Stix N Stringz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey guys i have recently taken up archery with an intent to hunt in the future (when i can hit the things i am aiming at...) i have joined my local archery club and been practicing and now i am looking to get my first bow. Now i think i would like to pursue the traditional route and i have been mostly practicing instinctive aiming which i really enjoy and have managed to hit the target even :lol:

Now i have been busily researching and reading lots about the best options and looking around. Unfortunately i live in a rural area with no ready access to an archery store. i have shot a recurve and a compound bow and enjoyed both but i love the appeal of the traditional option for now.

So i have been looking at the bear recurve takedown. Mostly because of the possibility of getting two sets of limbs(one at around 35# and one at 55#) enabling me to use the lower poundage limbs to refine my technique and practice and then move onto the heavier limbs when i am ready to hunt...

Does this make sense and is this a good strategy? Is the bear takedown recurve a good idea (i know the price is the upper end of the range) Is this likely to meet my needs for a while? And i guess are there some other ideas people could recommend! Thanks guys Stix

woodie

Re: New archer buying his first traditional bow! Wisdom soug

#2 Post by woodie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Welcome to Ozbow.
There is nothing wrong with going that way but you could get in touch with John McDonald of AMSO128 and see what he can put you onto. He won't lead you astray.
Woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Stix N Stringz

#3 Post by Stix N Stringz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks for the advice mate! i am showing my newness here but what is AMSO128?? sorry! Cheers Stix

woodie

#4 Post by woodie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Click on the link on the front page it is McDonald Archery.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Kendaric

#5 Post by Kendaric » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Stix N Stringz wrote: So i have been looking at the bear recurve takedown. Mostly because of the possibility of getting two sets of limbs(one at around 35# and one at 55#) enabling me to use the lower poundage limbs to refine my technique and practice and then move onto the heavier limbs when i am ready to hunt...
Excellent strategy.

Stix N Stringz

#6 Post by Stix N Stringz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:08 pm

now i just need an excellent riser and limbs....

some people on another forum have recommended an ilf riser and limbs to enable maximum flexibility over time...

i looked at the tradtech 19"riser and various limbs... same theory will apply but might enable me more limb options in the future... however it feels a little "untraditional"? however it would enable me to have longbow and recurve limbs which would be nice...

i have a long draw and am fairly tall so a few people have recommended longer AMO? so i guess i am looking towards 62-64"?

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by kerry » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Problem with going the ILF route is they aren't kosha at most trad shoots . Welcome to archery anyhooo.
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:20 pm

g'day,

so where are you in this wide brown land of ours, - could help where people send you, and which club, may also influence your choices.

cheers
sue

Stix N Stringz

#9 Post by Stix N Stringz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:02 pm

I am in Northern Country SA. i have been along to my local archery club in Whyalla.

I have become a member there and will shoot recreationally for practice. But at the moment i have very little interest in tournaments or things like that. I am mostly looking to learn sound technique and practice to hunt...

but the bug has bitten me pretty good so who knows some social events one day might be good! i don't really know anything about that side of archery yet though...

Thanks for the welcome and advice folks!

Cheers Stix

Jim

#10 Post by Jim » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Mate, I'd suggest getting a samick sage with two sets of limbs, just like your idea with the bear. You could buy that for less than just a set of bear limbs. Then after you've been shooting a while you'll have had more exposure to different bows and ideas and will be more confident dropping some serious money on a decent bow that will suit you well.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Stix N Stringz

#11 Post by Stix N Stringz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Yeah there seems to be a few suggestions similar, i have looked at the tradtech pinnacle II with some ILF limbs (longbow or recurve...), i am also looking at some "backyard" bow makers like some of the guys i have seen on here...

The only problem i have is i a not really sure what my bow criteria is except for not going too heavy in the poundage...

Is there anything wrong with going the more "cottage" type bows or is that better done when i have a good idea of my optimal bow criteria??

Cheers Stix

Sabinus

#12 Post by Sabinus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:27 pm

G'day mate,

It would be hard to go wrong with the plan of a take-down with the capacity for different sets of limbs and therefore draw weights. Sounds like you're not on a super restrictive budget which will give you choices as well. I know this is a little nit-picky of me, but the term 'cottage bow' conjures images for me of quaint, hobbyist imitations of the real thing. Don't be fooled. trawl through the traditional crafts section of this forum and you'll see that our bowyers are producing bespoke-quality, stunningly crafted, totally deadly glass laminate bows. Given you're in regional SA, the one guy that springs to mind I think is from Port Augusta (Billy Bows?)who posts here and makes hybrid and deflex/reflex bows (in other words kind of a combo of the best qualities of a longbow and a recurve)- they look magnificent. Dealing with a bowyer one on one is a great way of getting a bow that will work best for yourself, and that includes getting the right draw weight.

Anyway, keep us up to date with how you go and welcome to traditional archery.

Darren

BowmanBjorn

#13 Post by BowmanBjorn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Give john McDonald a call, he has just landed a bunch of samick recurves. I purchased one for my wife recently and she's beginning to shoot well.... Maybe a little to well!

John is a gentleman and will te you the gear you need without all the adds crap.
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

BowmanBjorn

#14 Post by BowmanBjorn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:34 pm

For that matter if you want something really nice check out Norseman bows by Nick. A friend shots one and it's a sweet thing.
Centaur Triple carbon elite 2pce 60# @30"
Thunderstick MOAB 50# @30"
Flat line Raptor 45# @30"
Norseman Wrath 2pce 54# @30"
Norseman trilam ELB 104# @ 32"

Stix N Stringz

#15 Post by Stix N Stringz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Cheers for the advice guys, I have gotten to shoot afew different bows and I am "borrowing" a bear Montana to build up my weight and develop the technique a bit and then I will start to look for something to suit my specific needs, and I can highly recommend billy bows they look amazing in person and is very high on my list of possibilities! Cheers Stix

Sabinus

#16 Post by Sabinus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:47 am

I had a chance to shot a Bear Montana a few months back- it was only 40lbs but thought is was really good!

Fanto

#17 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Hey Stix

have you checked out ArcheryMart? based in adelaide, as am I.

James the owner loves the trad bows. He has a few in there. He sells predator bows, bear and martin amoungst others. all good choices. the predator has a very deep pistol grip.

he will let you shoot them too.

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

stickshooter

#18 Post by stickshooter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi Stix if you'v got the cash go get that Bear Takedown there a great bow that won't let you down.
Cheaper in the long run than to go up through the rat pack of cheapies :biggrin:

atlas_melbourne

Re: New archer buying his first traditional bow! Wisdom sought..

#19 Post by atlas_melbourne » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Hey StixnStrings and others,

Man I wish i'd read this earlier. I am totally new and asked some similar questions on another post (sorry moderators :( )
I literally decided on the same set up. Bear archery take down and 2 sets of limbs - 35 and 55. I am heavily considering a Samick Sage 35, despite their obvious un-reliabilities, because for 200 bucks i really can't argue. what a good place to start. Thanks to all the great minds on this forum that so openly welcomed me and gave so much good advice.
Anyway it's very affirming to hear you have the same questions and are attracted to the same set up.

Can I ask if you've bought a bow yet?
What gear are you using and how are you finding it as a beginner?
Have you started hunting yet?

Cheers,

Ash