Distinction between Modern & Traditional Longbow in Trad

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Re: Distinction between Modern & Traditional Longbow in Trad

#61 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:The Day that TRAD Archery becomes that serious is the Day I walk away.
Everything is only as 'serious' as you want it to be.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

GrahameA

#62 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Afternoon Mick.

Not mentioning the word rules.
Mick Smith wrote:... Getting off track a bit, I'd still like to see an organisation, such as TAA, attempt to introduce some form of state and then a national trad competitions. ....
That requires some serious thought, and planning.
Mick Smith wrote:... I believe it's a natural progression for trad archery that could generate a lot of sponsorship and media coverage. ...
I am not so sure. Archery at the large level struggles .... the biggest markets are 'Hunting' in the US and FITA. Although I regularly hear comments that the Europeans are keen on 'Field'.

Given the experience of AA sponsorship it will be a challenge. (Translated ... darn hard.) Media coverage will be equally another challenge. Then again it depends on what is wanted. The days of 'Media' meaning Newspapers, Film and Television are dead, they are digging the graves at the moment. There is whole new game to learn.

If you look at FITA aka (World Archery) it has made the move away from traditional television and gone to YouTube. People who are interested can watch Video of every WA event and often live streamed Video. So the intermittent steps for Television/Video coverage are gone. (I am certain someone will find some other "Hoops" to jump through and "Roablocks" to put in the path.)
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

DavidM

#63 Post by DavidM » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:12 pm

"If you look at FITA aka (World Archery) it has made the move away from traditional television and gone to YouTube. People who are interested can watch Video of every WA event and often live streamed Video"

I'm one of them Graham. I watched Michael Fisher take out the bronze medal in barebow at the WA FITA Field the other night, Love it :biggrin:

Chase N. Nocks

#64 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:53 pm

kerrille wrote:all longbows as far as im concerned.

...nev..

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=engli ... B400%3B481.
Kerrille, thanks mate. this gave me a great chuckle. The drawings were interesting, I wonder what age and authenticity images that show that type of recurve are? Or are they simply flights if fancy? I wonder.

Just as an addition to this I do recall that they found, what the think, were reflexed longbows from the Mary Rose.

cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#65 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:48 pm

Chase N. Nocks wrote:Just as an addition to this I do recall that they found, what the think, were reflexed longbows from the Mary Rose.
None that I am aware of Troy.

Jeff

Roadie

#66 Post by Roadie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Same Here. Roadie.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#67 Post by greybeard » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Mick Smith wrote:Getting off track a bit, I'd still like to see an organisation, such as TAA, attempt to introduce some form of state and then a national trad competitions....
Check out the post dated Tuesday Jan 17 2006.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3221

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#68 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:01 am

Morning Daryl.
greybeard wrote:Check out the post dated Tuesday Jan 17 2006.
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3221
So back to TAA.

.... Just for the pure nostalgia of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_om3JLK_Zd0
Grahame.

Mick Smith

#69 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:24 am

State and national titles may or may not happen down the track. I'm sure it's something that a national body, such as TAA, would investigate at some time in the future, if they haven't already. I'm thinking though, why mess around with something that obviously works? I believe that trad shoots have fluctuated in popularity over recent years, with attendance levels dropping on some occasions, but generally I believe they will continue to grow and prosper as new people come onto the scene. In regards to state and national titles, perhaps it might be best to leave good enough alone, on second thoughts. I like things the way they are.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Chase N. Nocks

#70 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:12 am

Morning all,

Sorry I should have said I recall reading it.

I am sure I have seen this mentioned from a few different sources (one I am sure was from Robert Hardy)

This one http://www.archers-review.com/magazine- ... -mary-rose

And I am sure there was another place on the web but have not had any luck finding that one yet.

Just a curiosity that I have seen mentioned but nothing really in depth.

cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#71 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:36 am

The other remarkable thing was that a majority of the bows exhibit a "reflex" in the handle,
I could only see this reference in relation to reflex in the link you provided. A bow having reflex in the handle is in no way saying that it would have recurved tips.

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#72 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
The other remarkable thing was that a majority of the bows exhibit a "reflex" in the handle,
I could only see this reference in relation to reflex in the link you provided. A bow having reflex in the handle is in no way saying that it would have recurved tips.

Jeff
Hi Jeff.

No mate, I was just saying that the drawings with the recurved tips were interesting. I do not know their validity.

I wasn't claiming or suggesting that the reflexed longbows had recurve tips or constituted recurve in any way. Just that they were reflexed longbows.

Some might think that only straight laid bows can be longbows and others might extend that reflex characteristic to include R/D and D/R bows.

While I see them as distinct I have often wondered if all the exclusions found generally in Traditional Longbow divisions (ABA anyway) are justified.

in reference to earlier comments/questions in this topic.

In particular the exclusion of three fingers under shooting which of course has nothing to do with the bow itself.

Cheers
Troy
Last edited by Chase N. Nocks on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Shooting the Stickbow"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#73 Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Mick Smith wrote:State and national titles may or may not happen down the track. I'm sure it's something that a national body, such as TAA, would investigate at some time in the future, if they haven't already....
Mick, they have almost had nine years to get the ball rolling and it would appear that it hasn't progressed much further than a talk fest.
Mick Smith wrote:In regards to state and national titles, perhaps it might be best to leave good enough alone, on second thoughts. I like things the way they are.
I agree.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#74 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Afternoon Troy
Chase N. Nocks wrote:Sorry I should have said I recall reading it. ....
The other year, well mid 90's, there was an exhibition of Mary Rose artifacts at the (New) Queensland Museum. It toured other state as well.

Anyone who is/was interested in English Medieval Longbows, and old enough, would have gone to it and taken the opportunity to look at some of the bows that were there. There was also I seem to remember and Archery competition/demonstration in the grounds outside the Museum.
Grahame.

AndyF

#75 Post by AndyF » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:50 am

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of what's 'Trad' and what isn't to clear things up.

They're all reflex or deflex/reflex bows to some degree, so not 'longbows'. All constructed with the riser sandwiched between the limb laminations. But what's this? The maker of the Triple Crown has thought 'What if I make handle a bit bigger?' It's exactly this kind of untraditional, heretical, radical thinking that's causing so much confusion in traditional archery circles. This modernist, post 1966 Bounder should be burned at the stake over a pile of his own riser offcuts!

Appalled of Bondi. :biggrin:
Attachments
Triple Crown.jpg
Triple Crown.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Griffon.jpg
Griffon.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Norseman.jpg
Norseman.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 8413 times

littlejohn59

#76 Post by littlejohn59 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:The Day that TRAD Archery becomes that serious is the Day I walk away.
Everything is only as 'serious' as you want it to be.
Serious, Are you serious!
Attachments
WP_20140830_10_26_47_Pro_2.jpg
WP_20140830_10_26_47_Pro_2.jpg (83 KiB) Viewed 8392 times

Mick Smith

#77 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:14 pm

Oh dear! :shock: Well at least it isn't a rangefinder. :wink:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Trad Bound

#78 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 pm

A binocular is a optical instrument for providing a magnified view of distant objects, consisting of two similar telescopes, one for each eye, mounted on a single frame. The first binocular telescope was invented by J. P. Lemiere in 1825 :surprised:

Reference http://inventors.about.com/library/inve ... escope.htm

GrahameA

#79 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:56 am

Morning Mick.
Mick Smith wrote:Oh dear! :shock: Well at least it isn't a rangefinder. :wink:
Are you sure?
Range finding

Many binoculars have range finding reticle (scale) superimposed upon the view. This scale allows the distance to the object to be estimated if the object's height is known (or estimable). The common mariner 7×50 binoculars have these scales with the angle between marks equal to 5 mil.[16] One mil is equivalent to the angle between the top and bottom of an object one meter in height at a distance of 1000 meters.

Therefore to estimate the distance to an object that is a known height the formula is:

D = \frac{OH}{\text{Mil}}\times 1000

where:

D is the Distance to the object in meters.
OH is the known Object Height.
\text{Mil} is the angular height of the object in number of Mil.

With the typical 5 mil scale (each mark is 5 mil), a lighthouse that is 3 marks high that is known to be 120 meters tall is 8000 meters distance.

8000 \text{m} = \frac{120 \text{m}}{15 \text{mil}} \times 1000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binoculars

Irrespective there are probably easier ways to measure the distance - remember the Dambusters. Optical rangefinders work on simple principles. I am certain one could whip one up from a few bits of ply. Then again people could just use their fingers - it helps to know how tall/wide the object is. Or you could just use your laser http://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-50m- ... 9_p5660478 :roll:
Grahame.

Kendaric

#80 Post by Kendaric » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:07 pm

I cant see many people with modern longbows (semi-recurves) putting themselves into the recurve division in Trad.

I wonder why?

Mind you, I cant see anyone going out and deliberately buying a semi-recurve, I mean, why would you bother when you can buy a full recurve. A modern longbow sounds oh so much better :)

There is also truth in the argument that the top trad recurve and longbow shooters are normally points within each other - but I do think that the recurve riser lends itself better to semi sighted shooting like gap or point of aim.

Mick Smith

#81 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Kendaric wrote:I cant see many people with modern longbows (semi-recurves) putting themselves into the recurve division in Trad.

I wonder why?

Mind you, I cant see anyone going out and deliberately buying a semi-recurve, I mean, why would you bother when you can buy a full recurve. A modern longbow sounds oh so much better :)

There is also truth in the argument that the top trad recurve and longbow shooters are normally points within each other - but I do think that the recurve riser lends itself better to semi sighted shooting like gap or point of aim.
When I bought my new Toelke Whip, I bought it especially for trad comps. I could have bought any bow I liked, but I bought the Whip because I thought it would be the best bow for the job. I have never cared about the division in which I might be placed. For me it was irrelevant. I just wanted pure performance, mainly to counteract my increasing lack of strength due to getting older.

I thought about buying a recurve, so I explored the options available. Nearly all of the recurves that I looked at were shorter than my Whip, which is 66 inches long. As far as I could tell, none of the recurves could outperform the Whip by an appreciable margin. Whips are very efficient arrow flingers. It is a fact that most experienced tournament archers prefer a longer bow to a shorter bow. The reason for this is, longer bows are usually more forgiving than shorter bows. This fact alone, put most of the available recurves out of the running on my short list.

My short list of suitable bows was becoming shorter all the time. The fact that my Whip is technically a semi-recurve bow doesn't worry me in the slightest. I know it's right up there with the top performing bows available. Unfortunately, its owner is only a very mediocre performer.

Check out the scores from the recent Lilydale shoot. Look at the highest scores. They were shot with semi-recurves. This in itself doesn't mean all that much, as the best archers probably just happened to be using this type of bow and had they being using recurves the results might well be different. It does prove that semi-recurves can be highly efficient bows and they can hold their own with any type of bow, regardless of shooting styles.