Form and Alignment.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

CraigH

Form and Alignment.

#1 Post by CraigH » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:04 am

The Wedge Video. I thought this video was easy to understand about form and why good alignment is important. A bit dry, but interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pCejcb6DAI

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Form and Alignment.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am

Some interesting info in that one Craig even though I don't shoot target archery style.

Jeff

CraigH

#3 Post by CraigH » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks Jeff for your reply.

Sorry, I should have mentioned when I posted this video, the point I was trying to get across was to try and have good alignment / form, regardless of what equipment or style you use. Sure we have to modify it for our chosen gear, body and style, but the basics are the same. And I need all the help and practice I can get on this. LOL

I think we all would agree, regardless if you chase fur or paper, accuracy is important. My train of thought is, you achieve accuracy by practicing good shot sequence or form, and good form comes trying to maximize good alignment (or minimize bad alignment) for a start, while taking into account your equipment, chosen style and physical traits, etc.

Sometimes we get carried away with worrying about aiming, and disregard the basics of practicing shot sequence trying to get good alignment/form. I am not just meaning erect target style, good alignment works whether, canting or vertical bow, hunched over or standing erect, instinctive, gap or sights, shiny metal riser or wooden one, it's all good with good form.

G. Fred Asbell - Instinctive shooter and accomplished bowhunter, "We want to concentrate totally on form, on doing the same thing over and over again."

Pete Shepley founder of PSE and experienced bowhunter, "The shot has to be 5% aiming and 95 % process"

In Byron Ferguson's book, "Become The Arrow." there is a chunk of his shooting system explained, body position, Byron talking about the bow shoulder/ alignment, "Both shoulders should be parallel with the drawing elbow - eye - arrow - bow arm -target line." Byron uses blank bale training for consistency in form.

Al Henderson, Olympic archery coach, "It may be more important for hunters to practice form than for target shooters because in the field your shooting under totally uncontrollable conditions - fatigue, weather, hunger, tough positions."

John Schultz on talking about Howard Hill, "When Howard was nearly sixty years old, he would periodical go out and shoot 60 to 100 arrows for form." and "Howard stressed what every good athlete knows - the importance of form."

Having wrote all this, I do get carried away and try to analyze things too much, LOL, but good basics are good archery. Cheers.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm

CraigH wrote:Having wrote all this, I do get carried away and try to analyze things too much, LOL,….
Don't mind at all mate. You have put together some great info.
CraigH wrote:but good basics are good archery.
Absolutely!!!!

Jeff

CraigH

#5 Post by CraigH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks Jeff, cheers.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:46 am

Interesting video. It makes sense. I've never thought of form as a series of angles before, but that's indeed what we're dealing with.

For fast snap shots in the field, I've always just taken the shot without caring much about where my feet were and what sort of angles my body produced in relationship to the target. When I've been involved in competitions, in which time isn't a concern, I have taken as much care as possible to align my body to the target. On those occasions I have deliberately lined my shoulders up with the target. My toes were also aligned with the target, so that if you drew a line from one toe to the other, that line would continue on to the target.

After watching the video, I tried to emulate the recommended stance in a bid to reduce or even eliminate the unwanted angles mentioned. I've got to admit, it did feel better. My form felt more rigid and better balanced. I could concentrate more on the target, rather than being distracted by complaining muscles. I didn't feel the need to push my head back either. I didn't shoot much better though, but that's just do to my lack of ability.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.