Bow String Length

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

bigfella

Bow String Length

#1 Post by bigfella » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:46 pm

I have a 62" recurve , decided to replace the string . The old string measured 56" and the bow had a 7 1/2 " brace . The recomended string length is 59 " , with the new string the brace height is 5 1/2 " . The shorter brace height has the feathers sitting on the shelf . What"s the answer ? Thanks for the help
Tim

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bow String Length

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:09 pm

bigfella wrote:I have a 62" recurve , decided to replace the string . The old string measured 56" and the bow had a 7 1/2 " brace . The recomended string length is 59 " , with the new string the brace height is 5 1/2 " . The shorter brace height has the feathers sitting on the shelf . What"s the answer ?
Buy a 56" string.

Depending on the manufacturer of your bow it may not conform to the AMO [Now ATA] standard measuring system.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

morganp

Re: Bow String Length

#3 Post by morganp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:12 pm

The answer is to send it back and tell them their recommendation was unfortunately wrong and to then get what you need made up. The rule of thumb is indeed 'recurve bow, nock to nock less 3 inches' which gives 59 on your 62 inch nock-to-nock bow - but as pointed out to me recently, it is always best to brace up to your wanted BH and then measure!

Is it an endless string? Doesn't matter which way you twist it then so start at around one twist for every 3 inches of bow length - i.e. for a 69" bow, 23 twists. You can then pick up a bit of brace-height by twisting it tighter. You CAN twist a few dozen extra twists and still get decent performance despite what some may say. Try that first perhaps as your string may be loose but it takes a very large number twists to get a large difference in BH. I have before now just re-knotted an end of a string but it depends on string-type and your bow nock if that is safe/satisfactory. Check your serving and arrow nock height afterwards as well.