How Do You Grip Your Bows?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

CraigH

How Do You Grip Your Bows?

#1 Post by CraigH » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:14 pm

I hold my longbows with a firm grip, not over tight, but with a solid hold. Locator grips the same way.

For my recurves with the pistol grips, generally I hold them with the first couple of fingers, with a loose to medium grip and let the bow shoot itself. (But holding a touch firmer them my compounds.)

How do you hold your bows? Do you shoot / hold your longbows different than your recurves?

longbowinfected

Re: How Do You Grip Your Bows?

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:27 pm

I hardly grip the bow at all.

I make sure my bow hand is located under the arrow in exactly the same spot by building up a line of self amalgamated rubber

I use a bow sling.
Made of three millimetre bungee cord.
I hold all bows the same way.......between thumb and forefinger gripped by or at the joint of the thumb and corresponding joint of the forefinger.
It really stops "torqueing" the bow.
My bow arm is locked and in line with my drawing arm.
No canting.
Mediterranean release anchored under my chin. The string touches my hat brim and my nose.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

flyne

#3 Post by flyne » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Simple answer is I dont hold them at all lol but my prostetic holds every bow the same only change the degree of cant for some bows
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

DavidM

#4 Post by DavidM » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Longbow
“Choke it like a snake”

Recurve (barebow)
“Finger sling and let the bow jump to target”
Practicing on my 5 yard indoor range the other day, but wasn’t wearing a finger sling, Bow jump to target alright :oops:

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Two years in a row Ion Stokes forgot to put on his finger sling on his longbow for the first practice session for the AA National Target tournament. Bow goes sailing out twenty metres in front...........arrow hits target, bow hits turf....sighs and gasps....shock all round.
Great archer.
Funny times.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:12 am

Morning.
CraigH wrote:I hold my longbows with a firm grip, not over tight, but with a solid hold. Locator grips the same way.

For my recurves with the pistol grips, generally I hold them with the first couple of fingers, with a loose to medium grip and let the bow shoot itself. (But holding a touch firmer them my compounds.)

How do you hold your bows? Do you shoot / hold your longbows different than your recurves?
My view.

Why do you hold them differently? In my case I try to hold all bows the same - a consistent grip. However, I will vary it slightly depending on the style I am shooting. (It is a bad habit that I need to work on to eliminate.)

There is a plethora of information on holding your bow with information why that is a suggested method. I would suggest having a read/look at some of the material written by some of, the acknowledged, more knowledgeable people.

e.g. There are reasons why bow slings are used and equally there are reasons why some are better than others - and it is better if you read and find out the reasoning rather than me putting forward my opinion. Equally there are reasons why some people do not use bow slings and accept the detrimental effect it has on their release.

A lot of comments about something being good/bad or something being better/worse is not backed up by solid evidence. (Consider the discussion regarding Fast Flite String occuring at the moment. http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14911)
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

DavidM

#7 Post by DavidM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:49 am

I like Rod Jenkins school of thought , when he says go to the blank bale and try different ways of holding the bow, and let the bow tell you how it wants to be held. Everybody is different, so you need to work out what is best for you.

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 am

Hi.
DavidM wrote:I like Rod Jenkins school of thought .....
The danger with that approach is that you get a singular viewpoint.

IMHO People tend to not not read/look at enough information to observe the trends that come through and they jump to conclusions rapidly without considering why something is said.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

AndyF

#9 Post by AndyF » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am

I shoot with a fairly light grip, pressure through the base of thumb and holding the bow with two fingers. I also shoot with a high wrist for some reason - probably because I find it's easier to get a little forward pressure that way.

With my war bow, the default setting seems to be a crushed/compressed wrist grip :)

Andy

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:08 pm

I use a firm grip with my composite longbows and my self bows. I cant my bows and ensure I draw the bow so the drawing pressure is in line with my forearm.
GrahameA wrote:Equally there are reasons why some people do not use bow slings and accept the detrimental effect it has on their release.
Bow slings are for Target Archery and not for use when Bowhunting IMO.
GrahameA wrote:A lot of comments about something being good/bad or something being better/worse is not backed up by solid evidence. (Consider the discussion regarding Fast Flite String occuring at the moment. http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14911)
This is off subject but I felt I had to reply to your comment Grahame. There are at least four (including myself) very experienced archers that have replied in that thread stating that over many years (approx twenty years or more in some cases) they have not experienced any problems using Flemish Twist strings made of modern non stretch sting materials. These people aren't compulsive liars and I'm sure each one of them could produce any number of bows that have been shot with strings made of modern string materials.

What more solid evidence do you want?

Jeff

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi Jeff.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:
GrahameA wrote:Equally there are reasons why some people do not use bow slings and accept the detrimental effect it has on their release.
Bow slings are for Target Archery and not for use when Bowhunting IMO.
I do not disagree with what you say. The issue is that they have their place and there are several styles. So people should understand why they are used.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:
GrahameA wrote:A lot of comments about something being good/bad or something being better/worse is not backed up by solid evidence. (Consider the discussion regarding Fast Flite String occuring at the moment. http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14911)
This is off subject but I felt I had to reply to your comment Grahame. There are at least four (including myself) very experienced archers that have replied in that thread stating that over many years (approx twenty years or more in some cases) they have not experienced and problems using Flemish Twist strings made of modern non stretch sting materials. These people aren't compulsive liars and I'm sure each one of them could produce any number of bows that have been shot with strings made of modern string materials.

What more solid evidence do you want?
I would rather people understand why "Fast Flite" strings have a reputation as being unsuitable. You use them as do I and I do so for very good reasons. (And I understand why some people say don't use them.) There are many comments in many pieces of information - the Web, Books, Magazines - where people the comment to not use them is made but never why not and what sort of failure you will get. And if people really look closely "Fast Flite" as such has not been around for a few years.

I suggest that there is a lot of misinformation on many topics out there and people need to look at how reliable information is, what comments are based on and if they are applicable to their situation.

As I said in a post:
GrahameA wrote:IMHO People tend to not not read/look at enough information to observe the trends that come through and they jump to conclusions rapidly without considering why something is said.
Grahame.

CraigH

#12 Post by CraigH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 pm

GrahameA wrote:Why do you hold them differently? In my case I try to hold all bows the same - a consistent grip. However, I will vary it slightly depending on the style I am shooting. (It is a bad habit that I need to work on to eliminate.)[/i]
I hold them different, so I am comfortable and repeatable with that particular bow, depending on my goals, physical traits, shooting style, equipment set up and mind set.

Maybe I have girly hands, but I would find it hard to grip different designed bows all the same. Shooting a narrow throat recurve with a thick palm swell grip, compared to holding a vertical thin grip Mathews target wheelie bow, compared to a longbow with a locator grip, straight grip, dished grip, low heel grip, etc, are different for me. (Some held vertical, some canted, some are a heavy draw weights, some light, some with sights, some barebow.)

For me, being comfortable and repeatable (and having fun) for a particular bow is more important to me, then holding every different style bow exactly the same. But then, that's just me.

DavidM

#13 Post by DavidM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi Craig

I agree, not sure how you hold a Howard Hill style grip and a recurve pistol grip the same?

Kendaric

#14 Post by Kendaric » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 am

Whilst all grips from bow to bow may vary, I try to hold them basically all the same with regards placement within the hand, using the 'lifeline' as a guide to the outer egde of the grip, so that the meat of the thumb muscle takes most of the weight. This applies regardless of whether the grip is low, medium or high. This allows a constant guide and better string clearance of the bow arm. In all forms of archery, you generally want to avoid 'healing' the bow with the bottom of your hand near the wrist.

With barebow recurve or longbow field shooting, I only hold the bow enough to stop it jumping out of my hand. I'm not sure if finger slings are allows in Trad.

If target shooting with a recurve or compound (a long time ago), I don't grip the bow at all, but allow the bow to jump from the hand and restained by the finger sling - you need a bow that will fall slowly forward for this - generally done with a front stabiliser. The theory being that the more you grip the bow, the more human error you impart into the shot.

One thing that was mentioned in previous posts, and I think it should also be clarified here, as it was also mentioned by Bryon Fergusion - there is a difference between solid hold and firm grip, they are not the same thing.

The problem I can see for me, with gripping a longbow hard is that due to less handle/riser mass (compared to a recurve), vibration is likely to be less absorbed by the handle, and more imparted up your bow arm, which I don't find pleasant. With my light grip on a longbow, vibration is not even noticed.

How a bow likes to be shot can often come down to how it likes to be shot with your current form, setup or tune.
Last edited by Kendaric on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Afternoon.
Kendaric wrote:Whilst all grips from bow to bow may vary, I try to hold them basically all the same ....

With barebow recurve or longbow field shooting, I only hold the bow enough to stop it jumping out of my hand. ...

... The theory being that the more you grip the bow, the more human error you impart into the shot.
I agree.
Grahame.

scuzz

#16 Post by scuzz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:42 pm

I can see why you would hold the bow as little as possible in field shooting, aiming at a stationary target and at a long distance. But at trad events (or possibly hunting situations) there are moving targets, speed shooting etc. I could see a 'field' type grip hindering fluency of a shot sequence in 'speed' situations and if you lead moving targets as I do, I think a 'field' type of grip would only hinder a moving bow arm.

I've found that a firm grip never hindered my accuracy so long as my alignment and anchor was true, and when shooting selfbows I find the firm grip tends to absorb some of the hand shock. I havn't shot a recurve for some time but I think I would hold one a little softer than a longbow or selfbow as I could see torque issues arising from a choke hold on a pistol grip.

Just my two cents worth.

Scuzz

GrahameA

Re: How Do You Grip Your Bows? An Addenda

#17 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Afternoon All.

An Addenda.

A suggestion.

There are a few "Archery Bodies" - e.g. AA, ABA, 3DAAA, TAA, FITA aka World Archery, NFAA, ... etc, etc.

Those organisations have a much larger store of knowledge and experience than individuals.

So it would seem reasonable that they would some material/recommended practices related to the Educating/Coaching their members so that:
a) they shoot in an "accurate" manner,
b) they encourage people to use techniques/etc. that are unlikely to cause issues for the archer.

May I suggest that people check out (on the Web or direct) what their Organisation has available for them. Or even look at what other Associations have available.
Grahame.

wishsong

#18 Post by wishsong » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:50 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi.
DavidM wrote:I like Rod Jenkins school of thought .....
The danger with that approach is that you get a singular viewpoint.

IMHO People tend to not not read/look at enough information to observe the trends that come through and they jump to conclusions rapidly without considering why something is said.
Jenkins approach is one of self discovery , learning what suits you and your bow as an individual . It's basis is in avoiding trends instead letting genuine shot feel and the results of such will let you know what works for you.

It is the very opposite of a singular viewpoint IMHO .....

little arrows

#19 Post by little arrows » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 pm

I really have just wanted to type - With my Hand - from the get go, however I resisted, until now. :smile:
I know I "hold" my longbow different to my recurve, as the handle shape lends itself to high wrist on the recurve and the R/D longbow I might get, whereas my flat layed longbow has a low wrist, and since my altercation with the log at the Gladstone shoot a couple of years ago my elbow now screams blue blinkin' murder if I try and hold anything with a low wrist grip. So there ya go.
Besides, each bow is individual and will soon let you know if it doesn't like being held that way - sort of like a female.... :lol:

cheers
sue

littlejohn59

#20 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:46 am

Ohh little arrows you are precious. I am going to leave your last comment alone.
However, I am going to state the obvious. The shape of the bow handle dictates how you hold the bow. Your only options are, do I hold it loosely or firm. Only you can decide that by shooting the bow. Once again my view.
I hold firm.