arrow set up for chunky boars

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ontothepigs

arrow set up for chunky boars

#1 Post by ontothepigs » Tue May 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Just looking for some advice:
I shoot a 65# mamba at 28" and I draw closer to 29".
I have 4 vanes at 4"
Let's just assume the arrows haven't been trimmed so are full length
arrows are heritage 350's

Questions :
What lengh should I cut the arrows to (I will be getting the shop to cut it)
What total arrow weight should I be aiming for, which brings me to my next question.
Any thoughts on broadhead weight considering the above

Cheers in advance
Flatline #52
Java man Falcon #52 @ 29, 60"

Muz1970

Re: arrow set up for chunky boars

#2 Post by Muz1970 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 am

G'day mate, your arrow length comes last. If you have a 29" draw your arrows should be >30". But the length will need to be tuned for correct arrow flight.

Most hunting arrow set-ups aim for 10 grains of arrow weight for every lb of bow weight. So your pulling approximately 68lbs@29" so your arrow weight should be up around 680 grains. So you do the maths.....but for example

Heritage 350 shafts weigh 11.45 grains/inch so at 30" they come in at 343gn + 10gn insert + 10 gn of feathers + 10gn nock gives you 373gn (approx) of arrow weight. Leaving you 310gn for broadhead options. Also consider by adding all this weight to your arrow your weakening the spine and may require a stiffer shaft.

You need a good solid two blade broadhead, the choices are endless. You could use a 190gn broadhead and a 100gn steel broadhead adaptor. Another option is to add weight to the front of the arrow. What ever you choose try and get matched field points of very similar weights so you can bare shaft your arrows and determine the correct arrow length for optimum flight.

End of the day you want perfect arrow flight plus arrow integrity ( no weak spots ).

Least your only chasing 680, I'm after 850.

Cheers Muz

bstan86

#3 Post by bstan86 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 am

agree totally with muz.

also - no-one can really tell you what arrow/point/adaptor/length etc. combo you'll need - impossible.

IMO the only way to find out for sure is bareshaft testing. Do a search on it there are heaps of places where you can find how to do it.

i also like heavy arrows, strong 2-blades and super high FOC for hunting, but at the end of the day what i put on front of the arrow is dictated by the tuning - it must fly straight!

good luck with it.

ontothepigs

#4 Post by ontothepigs » Wed May 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks guys. I will Def have to check into bare shaft tuning again. I got the 350 after advice from the shop. I might have to have a good look at it, get the weights I am chasing and go.from there.

Thanks for the help.
Flatline #52
Java man Falcon #52 @ 29, 60"