Broad heads of same weight fly diffrent ????

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

BEAST

Broad heads of same weight fly diffrent ????

#1 Post by BEAST » Fri May 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Hey everyone I have Two diffrent kind of broadheads same weight ruffly that fly tottally differently is this normal ?
I'm shooting 215 widow makers and I got some 190gr ribteks with a ruffly 30 gr insert so about 220 now the widow makers hit were I'm aminng but the ribteks are grouping like freaks but
10inchs right
No I know there's 5 grain diffrence ruffly but that shouldn't really matter I thought
My arrows are 29 inch I do have some 29.5 inch arrows and the ribteks did favour the extra half inch with awesome grouping but at 25meters they all hit 10 inches right were the widow makers are spot in everytime

So is this common :)
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

morganp

Re: Broad heads of same weight fly diffrent ????

#2 Post by morganp » Sat May 17, 2014 9:55 am

It is common enough. Depends on equipment - how close bow is to center cut, how close static arrow spine is to optimum, how the weight of the broadhead and the weight distribution of broadhead and added inserts, weight forward etc. affect the dynamic spine and much more. The 1/2 inch arrow length difference will alter this too as can the diameter and weight of arrow itself in same spine range. Fletching too. And the distance of the targets as the arrows move through air and straighten out. Even the type of one broadhead shape and profile will fly different to another. Welcome to the fun of micro-tuning for your own bow and shooting style!

Usually the differences are not quite so pronounced but as yours are consistently so, I reckon you are right on the wavy line of spine tolerance and will thus get different results as you play with small changes of gear.

Go with what works best or else look forward to years of confusion and analysis and (usually) fun while you make 'em and shoot 'em.

BEAST

#3 Post by BEAST » Sat May 17, 2014 10:02 am

Yer I think it's best I end up going back to the widow makers shame thow I really like the look and lenght of the blade on the
190 ribteks

Funny thing is I thought going to recurve would be more simplistic then compounds hahaha what a surprise I had :)
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

morganp

#4 Post by morganp » Sat May 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Well no, not what I meant mate really, yes, go with the ones that work unless you aren't happy with them, and you are not - so use the broadhead you like because that is in some ways the most important bit as it penetrates the animal and does the damage, the rest is the delivery system.

Stick to the working ones for now because you want clean kills and success BUT try a few things when you have time and energy, drop spine a little and see what that does. Play with weight forward. Try different shafts. Use what you want and make it work by a bit of reading up and then trial and error. Good luck!

Jim

#5 Post by Jim » Sat May 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Hey beast,

If the total weight of the ribteks is greater you would expect the weakened spine shafts to hit a little to the right. What range are you shooting these groups? If it's 50m, no big deal. If it's 10m, something else must be going on.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

BEAST

#6 Post by BEAST » Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm shooting them at around 20-25 meters and I did play with it today with maxi fletch and sand thing 10 inches right but with the best groups I've ever shot I was knocking nocks they were that tight and there pretty close in weight maybe 5 grains diffrence
It has to be spine problem but I'm not sure were to start as there really close in weights

But I've decided not to play with them as I've got the widow makers tuned up great and flying really well and I've got a hunt in a few weeks so I'll use what works right now plus the arrows with the widow makers are ruffly 580grn they will blow threw goats and pigs at the distances I hunt at so they do
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

Jim

#7 Post by Jim » Sat May 17, 2014 8:37 pm

BEAST wrote:But I've decided not to play with them as I've got the widow makers tuned up great and flying really well and I've got a hunt in a few weeks so I'll use what works right now
Sounds like a good plan mate, all the best with the hunt :wink:

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby