Brace height vs point of aim

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

BEAST

Brace height vs point of aim

#1 Post by BEAST » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am

Hey guys as most of you no I've been fiddling with bare shaft tune but I gave it away and I had a brace height of 6 1/2 on my border but I was getting the occasional arm slap that really started to hurt so I took it out to 6 3/4 (just shy of 7inch really) and now I consistently shoot right out at 40+ it's ruffly 6-9 inches right at 20 it's 2-4 inches right
Is it just me or do you think the brace would make such a dramatic effect on point of aim
Should I pack the stricken plate out to adjust it as I'm only usen Velcro fur on a 5/8 past center bow
Or trim arrows down maybe ..... I'm lost any ideas would help
I really don't want to adjust down brace as the arm slap sucks

There still grouping fine but just right
I put a verticals 3 inch line out at 40 shot a dozen arrows 9 of the arrows were in a fairy straight line on the right the other 3
were just poor releases
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

GrahameA

Re: Brace height vs point of aim

#2 Post by GrahameA » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Afternoon.

Border are an above average company. In my opinion I would go with their recommendation in all respects, their is a significantly better probability that they know more about their bows than anyone on this site.

Choose the appropriate brace height for your bow length.

http://www.borderbows.com/uploads/Strin ... t.pdf.html

Minimum Arrow Weight
http://www.borderbows.com/uploads/Minim ... s.pdf.html

Draw Length/Bow Length
http://www.borderbows.com/uploads/Bowle ... s.pdf.html

P.S.

Making Borders http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... er-Archery
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

BEAST

#3 Post by BEAST » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Already emailed Sid but it will be 2-3 werks before I hear back from him they get so busy but border website gives me a option of 6-7.3 on brace height
And I'm usen the exact shaft and arrow weight I was told to by sid the problem now comes down to tuneing I'm sure I'm not the only one with a border and a bows stil just a bow so I'm loking for advice on what how you guys think I should go about this :)
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

ROSCO

#4 Post by ROSCO » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm

http://www.worldarchery.org/UserFiles/D ... ipment.pdf

Hi
I would go back to 6 1/2'' see if they shoot left again, if so retune the bow.( looks like weak arrow for right hand shooter)
The above site is on tuning

Ross

BEAST

#5 Post by BEAST » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Cheers mate
Yep I went back to 6.5 they even fly better and are shooting back on target so I'll just keep it there and work on form or get a real good arm guard lol
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

DrAK DaRippa

#6 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Sat May 03, 2014 10:32 pm

well flying right is usually a sign of weak arrows is it not? in terms of being underspined that is.
and while i'm not certain, wouldn't increasing the brace height put more tension in the whole process? increasing the final "poundage"
it seems normal to me that the shorter string would make for a more powerful bow at a normal draw length

perhaps you could try two options with the same arrow shafts.
a change in points could easily over correct and be hard to match to the circumstances, due to the incremental point weights.
it would seem to me, reducing the arrow length very slightly and testing all the way could bring the paradox back towards the left.
i would not want to suggest how much, obviously the minimum arrow length would be just above a comfortable draw length so between the current length and the minimum length is the only space for change.

i think mucking around with the strike plate is counter not a good idea, that should really be as close to past centre as possible really...

the least destructive test would be a reduction of point weight, and ideally it does not go too far left.
then a reduction of length could be a destructive option for fine tuning the shafts.

i think the less your string can hit your arm the better, i'd say go for the higher brace if the bow will allow it without exploding or otherwise not enjoying itself

also i'd like to say that anything above may not be entirely accurate, it's just how i've come to understand the theory of the subject.

BEAST

#7 Post by BEAST » Sat May 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Yep I've sorted her out now I changed the striker plate to hard leather and thick enought so the string cuts perfectly down center of arrow (bow is cut past center)
And I went to a slightly heaver head and I've got the brace out at just shy of 7inchs and arrows are flying perfect and as long as I consentrate I'm shooting really well
Cheers
Norseman wrath longbow
Hoyt satori

ROSCO

#8 Post by ROSCO » Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi
Good to see you have work it out thats half the fun :smile: , I always learning something. And I have be shooting recurve for a while.

Here something I found the other day. May help somebody out picking a point weight( broad head) with carbons mostly. http://www.3riversarchery.com/spinecalculator.asp

If your bow not listed use generic recurve, long bow, etc

Also playing around with striker plate thickness, use Google to convert the plate thickness from mm to inches.

Ross

Dennis La Varenne

#9 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Beast,

Back to first principles, you are getting wrist slap from the string because its line of travel is too close to your bow arm. Open your stance a tiny bit by bringing your rear foot forward slightly. That will give the string greater clearance from your arm. You won't need very much at all - half a foot length will be plenty. Change nothing else.

You said that you changed back to the lower brace height and your bow resumed good shooting. The problem is that you still do know what caused the wrist slapping and you could easily fall back into doing that later. I have never come across a problem of string slapping which could not be fixed by a slightly more open stance.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.