Best arrows for trad shoots?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Best arrows for trad shoots?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:02 pm

For general target shooting and trad events, what do you want from your arrows, other than the obvious requirement that they shoot straight?

The way I see it, arrow choice is like many things, you must always make compromises. I find that I'm often torn between wanting the flattest trajectory possible, to make those distant targets just that bit easier to hit. This means shooting some very light weight timber arrows made up on correctly spined 5/16'' shafts, 3 x4 inch fletches and a 100 grain point. Unfortunately, these arrows often tend to be a little erratic and unforgiving of poor releases, etc. The generally fly very well though. For clout events, I am often more or less forced to use these lightweight arrows just to make the 120 metre distance, but are they the best choice for all round target shooting?

On the other hand, more recently I have been using purposely designed 'heavy' arrows. The advantage of these heavy arrows is that they're very forgiving and predictable. They fly beautifully at short and long ranges. It's relatively easy to hit targets out to about 25/30 metres, but beyond that it's starts to be very hit and miss, literally. For my heavy arrows I opt for 11/32'' shafts spined one rating above the draw weight of my bow. I then fletch them with 3 x 5 inch fletches and a 160 grain point. Coincidently, these are basically the same as my hunting arrows, except the 160 grain field point is replaced with a 160 grain broadhead.

Of course, there's always the option of going somewhere between these two extremes, which I have also tried from time to time, with mixed results. It is an area that I intend to explore more thoroughly when I start using my new 45# bow though.

My current reasoning is that I should stop all this experimenting with different weight arrows and go with the 'heavy' option for everything, both hunting and target/trad shoots. The more I use these heavy arrows, the more I will become accustomed to their rainbow like trajectory and the more likely I will be able to achieve the consistency that I want. I suppose if I was a gap shooter it would make life easier, but I'm a dyed in the wool 'instinctive' shooter, who just looks at the spot I want to hit. I find it very hard to gap shoot effectively most of the time.

My vacillating on this subject probably warrants pity, but what the heck? What are your thoughts on this subject? What do you use and why?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Best arrows for trad shoots?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:40 pm

I have always used the same arras I hunt with.

Jeff

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 pm

I use my hunting arrows too.

Never shot clout but I'm only at 9gpp on a modern semi recurve, so reckon it'd make 120m ok.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Mick,

It has taken me 7 years to sort everything out to arrive at a point where I am very consistent.
I really feel a longbow loves a heavy arrow. Crosswinds do not affect four flights as much as three flights.
In fact using two flights at clout is more efficient than three. The thing is not to have a high profile.
The most difficult shooting I do is long distance target and uphill/downhill 40m field.
Not much of this applies to hunters. Clout at 145m in AA was easy with a 43# bow when there was no wind....rarely the case. With the extra grunt clout became a lot of fun. Far easier to use the same set of arrows for everything. Made much easier with boo arrows with screw in adapters.
I now have one set of alloys and similar four sets of boo arrows that can do everything [clout, target field and trad] set up around the same formula for everything in AA and trad. For bows ranging from 43# flat laid, 47# d/r, 53# d/r longbows [semi recurves for Jeff]. My boo arrows weigh a bit more than my alloys. One day I might use material to weight the insides of my allows but I get by without doing it. Being a gap shooter I record and remember the differences.
My formula is 4x 2.5 inch low profile feathers with 125 grain points and sometimes screw in adapters. Minimal overhang.......where the shaft meets the point is where it touches the outer edge of the leather pass by.
Heavy arrows around 10.5 or more grains to the pound for boo arrows. Around 8.5 grains per pound for my alloys. Heavier arrows with medieval release means most of my reference points go from point on at 60m to the top of my window for 5m. Half way for 30 metres. It makes my gap method much more efficient. I also try to hold much longer at longer distances as well as follow through longer.

I use 53# for clout and 60m target. Arrow velocity, flat trajectory and grunt are really important at longer distances. I can now average 40 plus per end at clout or in wind at clout and 60m and 50m target. Still not good enough to beat Guenter Licht but it gets me a lot closer.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Guy Layton

#5 Post by Guy Layton » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I then fletch them with 3 x 5 inch fletches and a 160 grain point. Coincidently, these are basically the same as my hunting arrows, except the 160 grain field point is replaced with a 160 grain broadhead.
Hi Mick,

Exactly my set up for hunting and target..... Only variance would be head weight depending on bow...!
Stickbow Hunter wrote:I have always used the same arras I hunt with.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

For me the only way to be consistent on the field course and hunt ethically in the scrub... 8)

Pretty much find my hunting arrow setup and replace broadhead with field point for trad archery events.... Seems to work for me.... :biggrin:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Hi Jeff,

For me the only way to be consistent on the field course and hunt ethically in the scrub...

Pretty much find my hunting arrow setup and replace broadhead with field point for trad archery events.... Seems to work for me....

Cheers Guy
Yep. Field rounds have always just been practise for hunting for me. :biggrin:

Jeff

clinton miller

#7 Post by clinton miller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:I have always used the same arras I hunt with.

Jeff
x2

going to a club is hunting practise for me. i couldn't give a hoot about scores
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

AndyF

#8 Post by AndyF » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:36 am

Regardless of which bow weight I'm shooting (I have 48lb, 55lb longbows and a 70lb recurve) I generally find 10-11 grains per pound of draw weight works pretty well - whether it's Target, Fita Field, Trad or Clout for that matter. I usually fletch with 3 four inch feathers (helical), but five inch fletches are good for Trad shoots because the distances are short.

Andy

AndyF

#9 Post by AndyF » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:01 am

longbowinfected wrote:Mick,

I use 53# for clout and 60m target. Arrow velocity, flat trajectory and grunt are really important at longer distances. I can now average 40 plus per end at clout or in wind at clout and 60m and 50m target. Still not good enough to beat Guenter Licht but it gets me a lot closer.

Kevin
Are you absolutely certain about your 'I can now average 40 plus per end at clout and 60m and 50m target' Kev? I had a look at the scores for the 2013 State Open Target, Masters/Vets Target, State Short Course and State Clout on Archery NSW. Your maths seems out. :biggrin:
Last edited by AndyF on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:06 am

Same as Jeff :biggrin:

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I thought there would be quite a few members who would opt to match the weight and dynamics of their target/field arrows with their hunting arrows. It does make a lot of sense. Many 3D targets are set up a realistic hunting ranges and I have no doubt that a hunting weight arrow would be the best performer for just about anything out to 30m. Let's face it, though, not many of us would take a shot at real game at distances greater than this, yet we will often be required to shoot out to 50m during a trad shoot. This is where the heavy arrows start to become unstuck, in my view.

I knew that you, Kevin, had put a lot of thought and work into your arrows, so I'm happy that you have responded. A logical solution would be, like Andy, to shoot arrows that have a weight ratio that's consistent with the draw weight of the bow you're using. This would give you a very similar trajectory regardless of which bow you might happen to be using. You're remarks about using different numbers of fletches and very low profile fletches are interesting. I noticed the arrows that you were using at the clout event that you attended in Geelong a few years back and the fletches were just about non existent. I was shooting my 53# Whip that day, with my lightweight arrows described above. You might remember that I shot particularly well for the first half of the event and particularly poorly for the second half and that's because I just couldn't handle my 53# bow for an all day event. My form collapsed after lunch and I was having lots of trouble even making the distance. I was amazed that I still ended up coming 3rd overall. I will take a leaf out of your book when it comes to my next clout event and I will use lightweight arrows with extremely low profile fletches and a lighter bow. Talking about clout events, I will tell you an amusing story about my less memorable efforts when I attended the AA Victorian titles clout event a few years ago. I made up some special arrows for my 51# Mohawk bow that would only shoot a maximum of 145m. I reasoned that this would totally eliminate all my 'over' shots and increase my scores. Yep, you guessed it. I had to contend with a stiff headwind on the day of the event and despite overdrawing my arrows so they were almost slipping of the rest, I still couldn't make the distance. It was total stupidity in retrospect. :biggrin:

All this talk might make you think that I'm obsessed with winning, but that's not the case. I really don't care very much about winning or losing, but I do care about personal results and I do like my arrows to perform well.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Mick I now use bigger than Shark's fins. I use 4 x 2.5 inch but low profile for everything.....including broad heads and for clout. I do however bare shaft them out to 50m and down to 5 before I plonk on the feathers and they are a full 90 degrees apart.

Probably would not be allowed at other associations where they measure fletch length. What would they do if I put 4 x 3 inch feathers on and trimmed them so they were 2-3 mm high? Never understood the need for rules like that. No offence intended to those who are married to their rules. No trad group has ever complained about my gear.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks Kevin. I have made up very low profile clout arrows myself in the past, mainly for my children to use for clout events so they could make the required distance. I ended up lending them to some members of my club who were having problems making the distance to the clout. It has always been in the back of my mind to make up some to try for myself one day.

I found that I could make some very neat low profile fletches by fitting a cardboard spacer into my feather chopper that forces the feather to sit higher in the jig. I can easily adjust the profile by simply fitting different sized spacers.

I've always been a bit dubious about using low surface area fletches for anything other than clout arrows and that's probably because I have never taken enough trouble to bare shaft them properly. It looks like it will need to do a lot of work if I'm to have the most efficient arrows possible.

longbowinfected

#14 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Certainly worth the effort, especially if you shoot target, trad and hunt and love clout.
Most folk really only shoot relatively short distances. With bigger feathers that can really snap an arrow into line quickly. Once you get out to 50 metres big feathers begin to be a liability with all the extra drag so too if the shaft is thicker.

I intend to shoot all my indoor shoots using my heaviest bow and 6 feather flu flus with fat shafts as they are point on at the bottom of the 40cm face......cannot wait for another archer to complain about the screaming whizzzzz they make through the air.......sir his arrows are too loud and it is distracting me.

Kevin