recurve set up

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ozzy

recurve set up

#1 Post by ozzy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:32 pm

after a few years of trying and not trying to set my recurve up ,i have been getting a few goats with the compound bow lately

i want to have a crack at them with the curve....need some help,bow is samick phantom #50@28 shooting off the shelf
@ -3/16 my draw is 26''...i like wood arrows currently using 50/55@26.5 49gr wood screw adaptor and 150gr tuskers..shoots ok but feel it needs improvement...wouldnt mind trying allums too, any suggestions to try with wood,allums.carbon.already done stu millers just wondering what you blokes recon

Mick Smith

Re: recurve set up

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:07 pm

ozzy wrote:after a few years of trying and not trying to set my recurve up ,i have been getting a few goats with the compound bow lately

i want to have a crack at them with the curve....need some help,bow is samick phantom #50@28 shooting off the shelf
@ -3/16 my draw is 26''...i like wood arrows currently using 50/55@26.5 49gr wood screw adaptor and 150gr tuskers..shoots ok but feel it needs improvement...wouldnt mind trying allums too, any suggestions to try with wood,allums.carbon.already done stu millers just wondering what you blokes recon
In what way do you feel your wooden arrows need improvement ozzy? Are they shooting accurately for you?

Your bow has a draw weight of 50# @ 28 inches, so at your draw length of 26 inches you would be drawing about 45#. If you went for shafts spined at 45/50# they would be underspined because of your all up point weight of 200g. I believe that you are probably using the correct spined arrows for your set up. If you wish to persevere with wood arrows, I suggest that you buy the best matching shafts that you can obtain, ie, shafts that are both hand spine tested and individually weighed and weight matched. In my experience, wood arrows can be as efficient as synthetic arrows, if enough care is taken when building them, but if you want to experiment with synthetics, you might have some difficulties in making up an arrow that's heavy enough to shoot medium game from your relatively light recurve. Of course, you could always add some weight to them though.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:12 pm

I agree with Mick's comments. With wood shafts you could perhaps try one spine range above and below what you are using now and see which ones fly spot on for you.

One other thing with your recurve ensure that your nocks are not too tight on the string as this can affect arrow flight. They should lightly grip the string so the arrow doesn't come off the string too easily but should not be tight.

Jeff

ozzy

#4 Post by ozzy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 pm

thank you gentlemen...after shooting a fair few arrows this afternoon, i agree mick that 50/55 is the go and the total arrow weight is around the 500 mark ........would this be enough for goats my range is about 20 yards max that i feel confident in hitting where i want to

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't need to tell you that you definitely need very sharp broadheads. Other than that, I'm sure your equipment will do the job, if you can do your part and put your arrow in the right place.

It sounds like you're shooting well at 20 metres, so if you can limit your shots to around this distance you will do well, IMO.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I don't need to tell you that you definitely need very sharp broadheads. Other than that, I'm sure your equipment will do the job, if you can do your part and put your arrow in the right place.

It sounds like you're shooting well at 20 metres, so if you can limit your shots to around this distance you will do well, IMO.
I'll second that. :biggrin:

Jeff