nock height tuning

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

nock height tuning

#1 Post by Fanto » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:22 pm

gday

tearing my hair out today. arrows were flying wonky, sort of barrel-rolling so i thought nock point was a fair candidate

so came home, tied on a moveable nock point at 1/2" and shot. bareshafts grouping 3-6" low at 10 yards. hmm. moved down to zero, still in inch or two low, plus the arrow nock still high. started moving up bit by bit and about 5/16" seemed to be the best, with bareshafts a little low.

so my question, what nocking point do other similar recurve shooters use?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Ronster

Re: nock height tuning

#2 Post by Ronster » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Fanto, my nock point varies from bow to bow, but I always settle on what the bareshaft tuning comes up with.
Also I shoot 3 under, so my tiller also plays some part. Are you 3 under or split?

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Split. I settled on 3/8 today. Bare shafts grouped with the fletched ones, all in the target.

Cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:38 pm

I shoot split and nock below and use ⅜" above with all my bows.

Jeff

CraigH

#5 Post by CraigH » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:59 am

The same as Ronster, "what the bareshaft tuning comes up with." For me that is around 1/2" for split and 5/8", 3/4" for three under. Shelf or stick on rest makes a bit of a difference (must be my bad form, LOL) for me as well.