shoot better with heavy bows or lighter bows?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

shoot better with heavy bows or lighter bows?

#1 Post by Fanto » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:45 pm

gday

I like shooting heavy bows around 70# but have recently got and started shooting a 50lb longbow. its helped my various injuries to recover fully whilst allowing me to keep shooting .

over the weekend i shot a heavy longbow about 73# and the 50lb bow one after another and i shot far better groups with the heavier bow.

is there some form issue perhaps that the ligher bow shows but the heavy bow masks?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: shoot better with heavy bows or lighter bows?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Your release is the first thing that comes to mind. I find it easier to get a cleaner release with heavier poundage bows.

Jeff

Ronster

#3 Post by Ronster » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:44 pm

I have heard others say the same as Jeff about a cleaner release with heavier bows, but I am a target shooter, so light works for me.
A bonus with lighter bow, is that I can shoot all day long, and then some.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:59 pm

that makes sense. ill take some video and have a look.

I did notice that i think about loosing with the lighter bow. with the heavy bow it just happens! no surprise there
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

dan76

#5 Post by dan76 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm

That"s right Fanto, if you use back tension on a heavy bow and pull through with that tension it's almost like you are unable to hold it anymore and the release is a surprise, as good back tension releases are supposed to be. But light bows the release is more forced.

Dan

I like shooting heavy bows too :biggrin:

Fraser

#6 Post by Fraser » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Nearly missed this one, I definitely shoot better with a heavy bow, my form is all over the shop with a light bow. And like others have said I find my release to be the main improvement.

Fraser

Kendaric

#7 Post by Kendaric » Thu May 29, 2014 5:11 pm

One thing to consider with bow poundage -

at the ABA National Safari 2014, the people that came first were shooting "lower poundage" bows.

The Trad recurve champion was shooting a 36# recurve.

The Trad Longbow champion was shooting a 40# longbow.

Both these shooters won both the ABA target and ABA 3D events.

These poundages are also suitable for hunting at close range for most game - especially when you consider that the average hunting shot was taken from 10-15 yards with trad gear.

wishsong

#8 Post by wishsong » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 pm

What Kendaric said

scuzz

#9 Post by scuzz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:06 pm

I've found that shooting a bow that is heavier seems to encourage a premature release and that dropping to a lighter bow for practicing purposes helps to inbed the good habit of a consistant anchor.

I see what Kendaric is saying about a lighter poundage, and i have no doubt that you can be competitive in events, and take Australian game with a lighter poundage. But i have always been the most competitive, confident and accurate, shooting a higher poundage. Having said this I have only shot 3D - one shot - type of events. I think if i were to enter an event that involved shooting more arrows, then i would drop my poundage by 10-15lbs.