What Do You Prefer, Dead Or Dynamic Release?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

CraigH

What Do You Prefer, Dead Or Dynamic Release?

#1 Post by CraigH » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:38 am

What do people prefer a dynamic or dead loose?

For those that don't know the difference; A Dead release (also called static release) is basically the release hand stays in the same anchor spot on your face. The fingers relax on release / loose, and nothing else moves. (Still having back tension, but not collapses, going forward)

A dynamic release is basically upon release, the hand fly's backwards, slides past their face. Some archers even touch their shoulder for conclusion.

I prefer a dynamic release, I feel with proper back tension this has helped my accuracy the most. Although I will have to ingrain it / blank bale it more, as some shots I revert back to old habits.

matt61

Re: What Do You Prefer, Dead Or Dynamic Release?

#2 Post by matt61 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 am

I shoot with a dead release, works best for me.

ron300wm

#3 Post by ron300wm » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:30 am

I shoot dead to

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:48 am

There is no such thing as 'Right" or Wrong" here just how much you can afford to pay your Lawyer :wink:

What ever works for you, as long as it is consistant.

I use dynamic.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

AndyD

#5 Post by AndyD » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I use dynamic - only because it allows me to pull through the release with better results.
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

scuzz

#6 Post by scuzz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 pm

I find it interesting to see that their is actual names for both :razz:

I shoot a Dead type of release. When practice i like to hold at full draw and feel everything from back tension, hand pressure, and off course my anchor. So for this reason the 'dead' release works for me because i like to feel all these things before i release. Continuing past my anchor would feel 'unstable' and seems inconsistent to me. Having said that, I have seen good shooters using both release styles.

Actually :idea: Maybe this 'dynamic' release would be a fraction quicker, so better for speed/running target shooting.

Scuzz

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Dynamic for me.

Jeff

Jim

#8 Post by Jim » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Mine is dead but I feel like this is a character flaw :wink:
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

CraigH

#9 Post by CraigH » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Yeah, have been good shooters that use static release and good shooters that use dynamic release.

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:53 pm

anchor point? what's that.... :biggrin:

my release is usually dead, and Steve's is dynamic.

something I did notice out on the course the other day, is how many people have a "dynamic" release, that seems to start off going back, however as the day wears on or the target is just a bit further away, their release goes out to the side.... yes I know it's form inconsistency, I just thought I'd mention it.

cheers
sue

alaninoz

#11 Post by alaninoz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 pm

A slight dynamic release. By that I mean that the release hand moves about 50mm - say from canine tooth to corner of jawbone.
Alan

Ronster

#12 Post by Ronster » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Dynamic for me when form is good, I wish that was always the case.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Goatchaser

#13 Post by Goatchaser » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm

little arrows wrote:anchor point? what's that.... :biggrin:

my release is usually dead, and Steve's is dynamic.

something I did notice out on the course the other day, is how many people have a "dynamic" release, that seems to start off going back, however as the day wears on or the target is just a bit further away, their release goes out to the side.... yes I know it's form inconsistency, I just thought I'd mention it.

cheers
sue
What you are talking of is mentioned in this video by Jeff Kavanagh, this is the vid that had me start shooting dynamic and I am liking it so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-RlMR_ga7w

Ronster

#14 Post by Ronster » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey, that guy can shoot! great Video, thanks for sharing.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Goatchaser

#15 Post by Goatchaser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 am

no worries, worth looking on his channel, he has a heap of good videos and tips. :wink:

perry

#16 Post by perry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:29 am

When I am shooting well and Form/ back tension is working my Release Hand does move slightly back but the most important thing is not that my Hand moves back some, a true indicator of a Back Tension Release is that your Fingers point slightly down. If your Fingers are pointing straight out/ ahead, you are not using Back Tension to Release the String.

It is plain as day on the opening shots in that video that that Gents Release is not Fluid. He has two distinct movements. One to release the string and then he moves his hand back again. So long as his Form is consistent he will shoot accurately. Real good shooting on display too, he's a good shot for sure

regards Jacko!
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 am

Morning All.

I used to shoot with a "Dead Release" (a few years ago) and now I do not. It took roughly a year to resolve the issue and I made the switch as a result of reading enough evidence to convince me that it was a better way to go - and I still hold that opinion.

IMHO There are a number of techniques/style/whatever to shooting a bow - the individual needs to decide which is the better for them.

If you are interested in your shooting and what is happening get hold of a Form-Master and see what happens on release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9YCudXt9I
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bear74

#18 Post by bear74 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 am

after watching that video my release is definitely dynamic, that is a great video by the way!
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

AndyF

#19 Post by AndyF » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm

My Tuppenceworth,

My release is dynamic, which as several people have pointed out, can be a fair indicator of getting the desired back tension. And as Grahame A says, a form master will show you instantly whether you have decent back tension - regardless of your release type. Put simply, if you don't have good back tension, the form master will pull your elbow/arm/hand forward on release.

Dead or dynamic doesn't matter. And from what I've read, no coach (certainly at Olympic level) teaches 'How To Release'. There's no such thing, as it simply happens too fast to be something you have control of. All that happens is the muscles in the back of your hand, and your forearm, relax. That's it, and the string is out of there. Gone.

If you have a naturally dynamic release, and good back tension, you should see your release hand move backwards (a little or a lot doesn't matter) and, importantly, 'inside' the line of the string (get someone to stand behind you and watch your elbow movement, that's the key bit). When people don't have good back tension, that's when they (regardless of a dynamic or dead release) tend to 'pluck' the string i.e. release the string with a sideways motion away from their face. It's a result of the shot starting to 'collapse', as you'll hear people mention. As Sue W mentions, this often happens towards the end of the day when people get tired. Amongst other things, the solution is to put the effort into keeping 'bow fit', or shoot a lighter bow (hence why target shooters don't use heavy bows, and compounds have 'let off').

If you do want want to develop a good release, it should come from concentrating on slowly and steadily squeezing your back muscles together into your release. It should NOT come from thinking about your hand after release and forcing it to make some elegant flourish, or whatever you think looks right. That's not dynamic, that's aesthetic.

Anyway, that's my understanding of it all. If I've got it totally wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Right better do some work.

A

Kendaric

#20 Post by Kendaric » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:23 pm

A dead release indicates a lack of back tension. But back tension is poorly understood for the most part anyway. Simply squeezing your shoulder blades together does not produce back tension, and having to force anything like that is likely to hurt yourself. Back tension will develop with good shooting form, and if your draw hand naturally moves back upon release, then you have back tension.

Having said all that, I have seen good shooters who have had either static or dynamic releases. A dynamic release is encouraged as good shooting form.
Last edited by Kendaric on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlejohn59

#21 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Hey CraigH I shoot a DEAD release or as dead as i can make it.
A dead release indicates a lack of back tension. But back tension is poorly understood for the most part
Hey there Kendaric.
Can i agree to disagree with you. Back tension is poorly understood, i agree. However a dead release does not indicate a lack of back tension in my opinion. (you can disagree with me if you wish coz it is a forum)
:smile:

Kendaric

#22 Post by Kendaric » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Lol, you can, because I'm not really sure either. It was more something that I had heard bandied around the traps. I tend to feel that it is an overrated topic, back tension this and back tension that - forcing things to happen. I see a dead release having certain advantages, and I can't see an explosive release (an overly dynamic release) being very helpful either, though some advocate it. Like anything related to accuracy, consistency and what you are comfortable maintaining is the key.
Last edited by Kendaric on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlejohn59

#23 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:21 pm

:oops:

bigbob

#24 Post by bigbob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 am

My release is as dead as, and can be likened to holding a bucket of sand and simply 'letting go' or refusing to hold the weight any longer. works great for me. As I anchor at the corner of mouth and usually have knuckle joint tucked into rear of cheek bone simply allowing that knuckle to 'float' out a little will result in arrows going left. On a similar matter an example of how the smallest things can alter outcomes. Recently got a new tab and kept shooting way left with it.On examination it was probably twice as thick as old one. Switching back to old one, which was still usable but missing finger spacer saw arrows going where intended. I will have to remove one 'leaf' from tab and practice shoot it in. Re the initial discussion I think what ever 'floats your boat 'is right for the individual.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com