Long bow arrows - spine ect

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ontothepigs

Long bow arrows - spine ect

#1 Post by ontothepigs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Just wondering on arrow spine and arrow length. I will be shooting a #50 longbow (@28) with a draw of 29". What length arrows should I be shooting? I will be using broadheads. Prob 125gr. Also assuming it is off the shelf what spine arrow would I need. Considering the answer to the arrow length question above, including the 125 gr head, 3 x 4" parabolic feathers what spine arrows should I be shooting (an idea for carbon, alloy and wood arrows would be good. Gives me options then.)

If I had some would arrows for a #65 recurve that I didn't end up using, assuming they are a good length, what weight head would I need to be able to use them in the lighter bow? They have 4" x 4 shield cut.

Cheers
Flatline #52
Java man Falcon #52 @ 29, 60"

Ronster

Re: Long bow arrows - spine ect

#2 Post by Ronster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi Craig, have a look at this attachment, it will probably answer your questions. There are several other sites on the internet where you can get this info. Easton Archery is another good one.
You may find several differing opinions from people with different needs, for example Target shooters as oppsed to Hunters.
Tuning an arrow to the bow for me is an absolute must.

Ronster
Attachments
Arrow Spine.doc
(12 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

ontothepigs

#3 Post by ontothepigs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 am

Cheers Ron, that looks good!
Flatline #52

Jim

#4 Post by Jim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:00 am

Hey mate, a spine chart like the one I've attached can be a handy guide to point you in the right direction.

Hope it helps!

Jim
Attachments
ArrowCharts.pdf
(449.66 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:23 am

If you were going to use woods I would suggest you start with around 60-65# because with your 29" draw and allowing an inch clearance for the broadhead your arras would be 30" long. Also since you were wanting them for hunting I would suggest 3 X 5" feathers rather 4".

Jeff

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:31 am

G'day I have a 50lb longbow, mild reflex/deflex it is not cut tol centre, it's about 1/8" before centre. Your mamba is cut 3/16 past centre.

I shoot .500 spine carbons, 30" long. I draw 28" . I'm using gt hunter xt shafts they are hence very light arrows and very quick, will be good for small game and target shooting.

I use 125 broadheads.

If you want to hunt goats or pigs or deer I would not use these arrows. I would go to .400 spine, and use 225grain broadheads (or 125 heads plus 100gr inserts) to get closer to a 500gr arrow. For better penetration.

Cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

ontothepigs

#7 Post by ontothepigs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:20 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:If you were going to use woods I would suggest you start with around 60-65# because with your 29" draw and allowing an inch clearance for the broadhead your arras would be 30" long. Also since you were wanting them for hunting I would suggest 3 X 5" feathers rather 4".

Jeff
Thanks for that Jeff, so only go to about 30" on the arrow? Sounds good. I was only going to use the 4" because I had some laying around and I'm broke, ha ha. I was hoping with the tusker spirit, the lower profile wouldn't need to be stabilised as much.

Cheers
Flatline #52

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 am

ontothepigs wrote:Thanks for that Jeff, so only go to about 30" on the arrow?
If you have a 29" draw allow an inch clearance for the broadhead and that would make your arrows 30" to the back of the broadhead. You would need to cut them longer to allow for tapering etc.
ontothepigs wrote:I was only going to use the 4" because I had some laying around and I'm broke, ha ha.
You can use 4" flights no problems. I just prefer 5" in case I do a bad release etc as I want the arra to straighten up as soon as possible so it hits the animal when flying straight so as to achieve maximum penetration.

Jeff

Fanto

#9 Post by Fanto » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:00 pm

If you have 4" feathers, put 4 of them on. That way you don't have to worry about aligning the nock, since there is no cock feather. Popular with big game hunters is the 4 fletch , for this reason I believe
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

ontothepigs

#10 Post by ontothepigs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks for both of those posts Fanto. I might be coming into a longbow so was wondering if I could use stuff around the shed so I don't have to buy new stuff. The mambas arrows are flying pretty well.

I do like 4 feathers, I also like shield cut even though people say they are noisy. I don't seem to notice them that much, I have 4 x 4" shield cut on the mamba arrows and it looks good.

Wouldn't mind making some wood arrows but time is an issue with a growing young family. Would be satisfying.
Flatline #52

Fanto

#11 Post by Fanto » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:28 pm

welcome, all the best with it.

I loved my mamba, it was only 55lbs and gee it was quick! your bow must be a beast! my tips got destroyed by fastflite string, the older mambas dont have phenolic tip overlays and fastflite just cuts them to bits

cheers

ontothepigs

#12 Post by ontothepigs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Fanto wrote:welcome, all the best with it.

I loved my mamba, it was only 55lbs and gee it was quick! your bow must be a beast! my tips got destroyed by fastflite string, the older mambas dont have phenolic tip overlays and fastflite just cuts them to bits

cheers
The Mamba is definitely a beast, it spits the arrows out with venom. The #65 has done steam, just running the standard string.
Flatline #52

ontothepigs

#13 Post by ontothepigs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 pm

ontothepigs wrote:
Fanto wrote:welcome, all the best with it.

cheers
The Mamba is definitely a beast, it spits the arrows out with venom. The #65 has done steam, just running the standard string.
Only problem with writing these on the phone. Substitute some for done above.
Flatline #52