First traditional bow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

longbowluke

First traditional bow

#1 Post by longbowluke » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey guys I'm just wondering if anyone has any good first bows, that are under $500. I'm knew to traditional archery and want to buy a bow for the purpose, I'm also open to opinions on longbow or recurve. Thanks for any help.

perry

Re: First traditional bow

#2 Post by perry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:17 am

The Samick and Internature Range of Bows are well made and value for money. Don't discount buying 2nd hand either, lots of great Bows to be had if you keep an eye out. I recommend something like a Samick Sage Takedown Recurve simply because you can buy yourself a Bow with lighter weight limbs and then for minimal outlay upgrade to a heavier set of Limbs economically. You then have the lighter draw weight Limbs on hand to go back to and work on developing good Form if required

Here'a link so you can see what they look like. They are an amazing Bow for the Price http://www.tradtecharchery.com/samick-s ... e-bow.html

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44 am

Morning.

If you want a first Longbow then contact John McDonald in Sydney or you could PM him he goes under the username of jcm.

He stocks:
* 3 Rivers Samick takedowns- Saga and Deer Master
* Cartel- Longbows- Viper and Viper DLX
* Ragim - Wolf Standard Longbow
wf71.jpg
wf71.jpg (42.75 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowluke

#4 Post by longbowluke » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks for the help guys

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:36 am

when buying an entry level bow, there are two really important things

1) the arrows are more important than the bow. once you get your draw length sorted and choose a bow, talk to the archery shop or ask around here or an archery club about arrow tuning. carbons are a good option because they are durable, consistent and easy to tune.

2) get a thin, fast-flite, flemish twist string. the difference is like driving around with half a ton of cement in your car, then taking it out. once you do, man it goes!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 am

nothing wrong with shooting woods. I do agree though that using a fast flight string either continuous loop or Flemish twist is the way to go for convenience and arrow speed over Dacron strings which tend to stretch more creating great variation in your brace height creating unnecessary flight variation.

Carbons and alloys are great to practice with but if you want to shoot competition at trad shoots or AA carbon arrows are not allowed. Get used to breaking arrows and learn to make your own strings and arrows.....will save you a lot of dough and it is enjoyable.

The second tier Samick longbows are pretty good bows considering the relatively small difference in the asking price. The difference between them and the lowest offering is quite pronounced. My daughter does not use hers now but I am not allowed to sell it. It was surprisingly smooth

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

AndyF

#7 Post by AndyF » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Bit of a late post. I started with a Bear Montana longbow which was about $400 I recall. Still have it.

It wasn't exactly in the same league as the bows I shoot these days, but it was perfectly adequate. I managed to fluke a gold at the World Masters Indoor with it anyway.

As someone has already pointed out though, good arrows are more important than a fancy bow.

A

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:31 pm

just send you a pm Luke.
cheers
sue