New Arrows, May need some help.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Tom Alker

New Arrows, May need some help.

#1 Post by Tom Alker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:29 am

G'day, Going to get some new arrows for my ILF bow. Seeing as i will be moving into trad once i can afford a more traditional bow i though id get some arrows to work with while i wait.
I was thinking Easton Powerflights, I don't want to spend too much because i will be moving into more traditional archery but i thought i'd see what you guys thought.

Easton Powerflight Shafts dz: $55.00

I have vanes and will have to buy points but if you guys could point in me in a better direction or if you know of any better deals let me know. I will be going to wallacewoods for my trad arrows which will be wood - but that's later on.

As far as spine goes, From what i worked out for a 35-39lb bow with a 30 inch draw (I would like to keep them a bit long, 31-32") i would have to get the 400 - 500 spine. I wish i knew more about choosing the correct spine but that's just going off the chart, let me know if i'm wrong! Also - Tip weight? What grain? From what i've learned Front of Center is best for target archery so maybe a heavier grain?

Draw: 29.5"
Bow Weigh At Draw: 35lb
ILF Recurve.

Any help or opinions are welcome, Cheers!
Perpetual Curiosity.

discord

Re: New Arrows, May need some help.

#2 Post by discord » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 am

Hi mate
I started with the same setup, 70" 30#@28 ILF target bow.
I also have a 30" draw and I was using Beman Carbon Flash 750 arrows. I think I was paying about $7 each, fully fletched. They're really light and I was very happy with the pretty flat trajectory out of such a light bow. I did manage to break a couple by missing my target and hitting a big gum tree, but they're pretty tough. I lost a lot more than I broke when I was starting out :lol:
HAIL ERIS!

Tom Alker

#3 Post by Tom Alker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

Where did you get yours Discord?

Also, how good is Game of Thrones!

Cheers.
Perpetual Curiosity.

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

Gday

Theres no reason you cant setup and shoot your ILF rig "trad"

just get rid of the sights, plunger button and any other accessories.

Ive got bows ranging from 30lb - 100lb and i shoot Goldtip trads from all of them. they are strong, look good and the internal diameters are the same for all spines so all my inserts and nocks fit all my arrows.

the goldtip traditional 1535s would be the right spine for you and they should fly perfect with 125gr points at 30" long. dont forget that the nock adds 1/2" and the point another 1" so you will have an arrow 31.5 overall, which will make it safe from overdrawing and falling off the back of the shelf. you may want longer arrows later when you go hunting with broadheads, for added finger clearance, but if you want to hunt bunnies with blunts, the GTs at 30" will be perfectly fine.

also, if you go to a traditional bow, especially a longbow which is not cut to centre, every 1/8 of an inch either way of centre-cut changes your spine requirement by 5lbs. your ILF is cut 3/16 past centre, so if you go to a 50lb longbow cut 1/8 before centre, it will be a 2.5/8 change in spine requirement, which equates to 12.5lbs. so the arrows which worked on your old bow, will only be a couple of pounds underspined on a 50lb longbow. you can then tune the arrows, by reducing the point weight or shortening them.

cheers
cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Ronster

#5 Post by Ronster » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi Tom, The following info is copied directly from an arrow tuning instruction manual. You can get more info by going to the Easton site and downloading directly from them, info on their products etc.
All of the info you get will give a really good starting point. But Tuning the arrow to the bow will really make a difference particularly if your form is good.

Hope this helps.

Ronster

Spine

Refers to the degree of stiffness
Resistance to being bent

Every arrow bends and flexes as it leaves the bow – archers paradox
(More significant in longbows than center-shot bows where the arrow is fired around side of bow).
The string moves directly to center of bow
Arrow has move around bow
Continues to oscillate from side to side in flight – fishtailing

Wavering arrow flight smoothes out as arrow travels. It is therefore to get the arrow spine right so that the oscillation is kept to a minimum.

Too high an arrow spine and the arrow cannot flex correctly:
Less able to correct during travel.
Tail to close to riser on release contacts with bow.

Too low spine:
Arrow less able to dampen the flex – flex continues too long
Tail too far away from bow – accentuated movement

Three main factors of arrow spine:
Stiffness of shaft
Length of shaft
Weight of point

The first is measured without shooting the arrow – known as the static spine. This measurement affected by diameter of shaft, x-section and type of material.

Spine jig is required to measure amount of deflection based on 26” with a 2lb weight. (26/amount in inches = spine). Do need to know your actual draw weight rather than the bow draw weight.

Jig can only measure force-applied while at rest – not the same as forces on arrow in flight. This is the dynamic spine.

Arrow shaft bends as it is being pushed inwards from both ends – compression. [visual aid long and short stick] Lengthening the arrow causes weaker (or higher) spine. Shortening the arrow has opposite effect.

Compression results from string push and tip weight – Newton’s law of Motion: an object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted on by a force. In this case the object at rest is the tip of the arrow and the force is the string.

Heavier tip:
Requires a greater force to set into motion.
Greater compression and flexing of arrow.
Lowers arrow spine

Lighter tip:
Less compression when shot
Higher spine

Other factors to consider
Recurves are close to center shot. Longbows – arrow has to travel around the bow. With a longbow require lower spine.
String material. Dacron has give, Fast flight doesn’t. With Fast flight raise spine of arrow.
String thickness. If nock arrow too tight then extra energy required to move arrow off string. Stiffens spine.
Length of fletch – not sure about this one but have heard that it will contribute to spine – stiffer shaft.

Bare shaft test
15 yards
Unfletched arrows to the right – spine too weak.
Lower bow weight,
Up arrow point weight,
Lower number of strands of string,
Up brace height
Left impact – spine too stiff.
Up bow weight
Lower arrow point weight
Up number strands of string
Lower brace height

This is reversed for left-handed archers

If bare shafts do not group – check clearance and limb alignment.
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Tom Alker

#6 Post by Tom Alker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Cheers Rontanamo Bay, Good read i will definitely do the bare shaft tests on the arrows i have currently.
Perpetual Curiosity.

Tom Alker

#7 Post by Tom Alker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:20 pm

ive heard great things about Gold tip arrows! will def check them out. Cheers
Perpetual Curiosity.

Fanto

#8 Post by Fanto » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Hey tom

http://www.tradtecharchery.com/tradtech ... riser.html

thought about this option?

then if you want heavier limbs, sell the old bow.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Tom Alker

#9 Post by Tom Alker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Fanto wrote:Hey tom

http://www.tradtecharchery.com/tradtech ... riser.html

thought about this option?

then if you want heavier limbs, sell the old bow.
Im trying to sell my ilf to get a whole new bow, i'd like a 1 piece bow instead of a takedown. If i cant sell the ilf i have now then i will just buy some black max limbs then wait longer for a new riser. cheers.
Perpetual Curiosity.

perry

#10 Post by perry » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Tom I have one of those Pinnacle 2 Risers. I paired mine with a set of Deflex Reflex Limbs, real nice Rig. I might drag it out and give you a shot of it this weekend. A T/D is always handy to have, makes Traveling a whole lot easier. Just a shame so much controversy surrounds ILF Rigs like the Pinnacle, a very practical outfit.

I'm sure we'll discuss this thread in more detail tomorrow. Hopefully we will go a long way to getting your Stave Tillered tomorrow and set about making some Arrows for it

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Tom Alker

#11 Post by Tom Alker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Cheers perry. cya tomoz mate
Perpetual Curiosity.

Ronster

#12 Post by Ronster » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Tom I have one of those Pinnacle 2 Risers. I paired mine with a set of Deflex Reflex Limbs, real nice Rig. I might drag it out and give you a shot of it this weekend. A T/D is always handy to have, makes Traveling a whole lot easier. Just a shame so much controversy surrounds ILF Rigs like the Pinnacle, a very practical outfit.
Hi Perry and Tom, I own a Tradtech Galaxy and have Kaya Tropics attached, (ILF Limbs) comes out at approx 48# @28". This bow is a shooter, however will be sold when Dave hands me a new Raven Vanquish. They are a great bow and I am with Perry, Take Downs allow for changes of limb, Long bow or recurve and more to the point poundage. If you damage a one piece bow it is either a very expensive fix or a wall hanging.

A TD can be several bows, hunting or target. just with a minute and a change of limbs!

Just my opinion.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"