Magnetic arrow rest

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

lanky

Magnetic arrow rest

#1 Post by lanky » Tue May 21, 2013 7:04 pm

I was finding that the stick on arrow rest was bending up the vanes on my carbon arrows so I bought one of those magnetic ones with a little arm only to have the arm snap after 10 min of shooting!...bugger!, just get me a longbow already....
Wherever you go......there you are!

longbow steve

Re: Magnetic arrow rest

#2 Post by longbow steve » Tue May 21, 2013 7:28 pm

lanky wrote:I was finding that the stick on arrow rest was bending up the vanes on my carbon arrows so I bought one of those magnetic ones with a little arm only to have the arm snap after 10 min of shooting!...bugger!, just get me a longbow already....
Hi Lanky, you may need to raise your nocking point a touch or look at the spine/frequency of the arrows you are shooting in order to get better clearance. Steve

lanky

#3 Post by lanky » Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks Steve, I have some self adhesive felt pads that I will use, the arrows are scraping along the metal and I hope that will help

Ronster

#4 Post by Ronster » Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Lanky, you might also try turning the nock on the arrow a little at a time to see if you can get clearance through the rest that way.
Its worth a try!
Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Curvemeister

#5 Post by Curvemeister » Wed May 22, 2013 8:50 pm

when i use the plastic stick on type arrow rests , i always trim them down , i cut the rest to half the thickness , and cut the hook part right down so there is only a small part of it left to just hold the arrow.
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

daniel boon

#6 Post by daniel boon » Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I have a Spig ZT magnetic rest's on two of my bows, and don't think you could break one of those if you tried, you can't even bend them. On everything else I have the plastic Hoyt rest's, and do the same as Curvemeister. Both the ZT's and the Hoyt rests are less than 1/4" above the shelf, and have no prob's with clearance. I do shoot feathers 95% of the time. Sounds to me like your elbow is too high, and you are forcing the arrow down on release.
My son in-law was shooting one of my bows few weeks ago, and after about 10-15 shots he broke one of the Hoyt plastic rests. He had his elbow high, and when you watched him. you could see him forcing the arrow down. I haven't broken one yet, and a couple are 2-3 years old, and one I shoot all the time, be at least 5000+ shots on it. (might replace it just to be on the safe side)
Cheers Dan

lanky

#7 Post by lanky » Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks guys , i will buy another little plastic one and trim it right down, i will also turn the nocks slighly and keep a eye on my elbow!

Tom Alker

#8 Post by Tom Alker » Fri May 31, 2013 12:34 am

I had the same issue when starting with my new bow, I did what Curvemeister suggested and it fixed the prob instantly.
Perpetual Curiosity.