where they land

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

texx

where they land

#1 Post by texx » Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 pm

is there a particular reason why my arrows that dont hit the spot mostly seem to go wide to the left and or a bit high . its seems that very few go low and or right .
this new bow seems to like my crappy old arrows that i put together very wrongly . i never fletched them properly its all over the place but they are shooting better than my good arras . the daggy old ones are some that i knocked together for my fist bow (a self bow)a couple of years ago, they are lighter in spine and i bit lighter in weight than my new arrows so that will be part of it but the fletching is way off 4 of them go real good and 2 of them dont ( those 2 go high and wide most of the time ).
think i will strip the old daggy ones down and redo the fletching maybe swap the points for a bit lighter too because they are about 12 per# at the moment . anyway back to the question why are they all going left or should i just move the target left next time .
Attachments
P1010090.JPG
P1010090.JPG (74.2 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
always seems to happen when its least expected most

ron300wm

Re: where they land

#2 Post by ron300wm » Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 pm

I don't know much about arrows . But my be the spine of the arrow :?:

woodie

#3 Post by woodie » Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 pm

I think that may be because they are over spined, I think. So the arrow shaft can not flex as much as it passes the bow riser so it will flick off. But as I said I think that is what is happening.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Ronster

#4 Post by Ronster » Tue May 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Texx, get on the internet and download The Easton Arrow Tuning and Maintenance Guide and all shall be revealed.
Just make sure that your form is good, loose grip, hold until arrow arrives at Target etc.

Hope this helps. Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

texx

#5 Post by texx » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

yeah still working on form and that could be the biggest of my probs . as i am only just getting started still trying to find what suits me best , its all fun though .

johno

Ronster

#6 Post by Ronster » Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Texx, you have nailed it! Yes its fun, it is what it is all about.
I cant get enough of it myself, and when it gets you it gets you good.
Let it happen, and get into making your own strings and arrows, cresting and it just gets better.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

texx

#7 Post by texx » Tue May 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Ronster wrote:Texx, you have nailed it! Yes its fun, it is what it is all about.
I cant get enough of it myself, and when it gets you it gets you good.
Let it happen, and get into making your own strings and arrows, cresting and it just gets better.

Ronster
yeah well its the making part that i do enjoy , more than the shooting part anyway.but i think i need to do some shooting to understand better what i am making if that makes sense .
johno

littlejohn59

#8 Post by littlejohn59 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

hey texx
there is a reason why your arrows dont hit the spot.. its called tuning.
Alter the Nocking point and too stiff an arrow.

Arrows should fly pretty well spot on without fletches perhaps a smidgen weak up to 30 odd metres.Obviously your crap arrows are more in tune with your new bow than your new arrows.

Like Ronster suggested have a read of the easton arrow guide and maintenance guide.

As a quick and rough tell tale increase the brace height by putting in more twists in the string it should weaken the arrow thus bringing the impact of the arrow to the right.

scuzz

#9 Post by scuzz » Tue May 21, 2013 10:50 pm

The fact that you say the arrows are lighter in spine makes me think that it is just that. Im not sure what you shoot, but more centre-shot recurves seem to have more forgiveness in arrow spine than a selfbow/longbow where the arrow needs to bend more.

If its only a few lbs spine, i generally sand it down with coarse sandpaper. Its less work than i first thought. Well unless there those wood painted alloys, then i wouldnt recommend it. :razz:

As for lightening the point, be careful. If the weight forward of centre is too small you can have flight problems.

Scuzz

perry

#10 Post by perry » Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 am

Here's a handy Link to a checklist of what can go wrong for you texx. There are many and varied reasons for missing as you describe. I'd start with Bare Shaft Testing Arrow Spine then narrow it from there

http://www.angelfire.com/clone/archery/ ... group.html

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 am

Morning Texx.

I suggest you number the arrows and then plot where they land for a number of iterations.

Then compare the physical properties for them. eg Do the ones that are softly spined always shoot left and by how much. Are the heavier arrows low and right?

Or can the variation in the shots be partially attributed to the archer. You could consider fitting a draw check to assist in getting a consistent draw length
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

temudjin

#12 Post by temudjin » Wed May 22, 2013 10:24 am

The link from Perry will be very helpful - just remember where they talk about arrows landing right or left this is for an archer who draws RIGHT handed. If you draw LEFT handed they will be opposite for you.

The other thing is just to work on fixing one thing at a time. If you have a number of variables on the go at the same time it's very easy to get confused.

And of course remember to have fun!!

Ronster

#13 Post by Ronster » Wed May 22, 2013 7:16 pm

As for lightening the point, be careful. If the weight forward of centre is too small you can have flight problems.
It all comes back to tuning and form.

Ronster

rodlonq

#14 Post by rodlonq » Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Johno,

If you start putting all them arras in that big black dot you'll have to make a new set every week cos most of 'em will be broken :biggrin:. A problem I don't have unfortunately :oops: .

Cheers...... Rod