Off the shelf

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

lanky

Off the shelf

#1 Post by lanky » Mon May 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi all, wanting to start shooting off the shelf of my Samick Sage, other than my nocking point, what else do i need to change?? And im using Easton Powerflights 400's , i have read that carbons dont fly well of a shelf???
Wherever you go......there you are!

Ronster

Re: Off the shelf

#2 Post by Ronster » Mon May 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi Lanky, apart from getting the nocking point right, using different materials can affect arrow flight. Soft and spongy may make the arrow fly to the right and hard material fly to the left.
But the best advice I can offer, is to get on the Internet and type in "Arrow Tuning" and you will find lots of results that will help you.
Bare shafting is my preffered method to tune an arrow to the bow, and you can improve on that by paper tuning.
I have no trouble shooting carbons after tuning them to the Bow and use both woods and carbons extensively.

PS all my carbons have 3" feathers for my Trad bow and Tradtech Galaxy (Trad ILF) and I use 2.5" of Vanes and 3" feathers on my Win & Win ILF Bow!

Ronster
Last edited by Ronster on Thu May 16, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Fraser

#3 Post by Fraser » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi Lanky, I've used thoughs shafts of the shelf of one of my long bows and they work fine. What length feathers are you currently using? What # bow?

Fraser

lanky

#4 Post by lanky » Tue May 14, 2013 6:56 pm

It's a 35lb recurve but at my draw length it's probably closer to 40lb, the Eastons have 2" xpv vanes, I'm worried the vanes will end up shearing off on the shelf?
Wherever you go......there you are!

Fraser

#5 Post by Fraser » Tue May 14, 2013 7:49 pm

The vanes may come off, they will how ever kick the end of the arrow out as they pass the shelf. You'll need to get a fletching jig and try a couple of different length feathers, you'll probably end up using 3" or 4".

Fraser

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Evening.

Be aware that some Trad comps require 12" of fletch and in most cases require wood shafts and feather fletches. I just use wood shaftsand 4" feathers and that becomes a non-issue.
lanky wrote:Hi all, wanting to start shooting off the shelf of my Samick Sage, other than my nocking point, what else do i need to change?? And im using Easton Powerflights 400's , i have read that carbons dont fly well of a shelf???
My experience suggests that shaft material is not a determinator in arrow flight. Shooting carbon shafts close to my skin is not something I do. I am happy to shoot carbon shaft off an elevated rest.

On a similar line fletchs made from feathers or vanes from plastic both work and will shoot the same. However, contact with either is not desired and contact with vanes normally give a larger effect due to the less 'give' in them.

Be aware that feathers have considerable more drag from the same profile/area compared to vanes.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

littlejohn59

#7 Post by littlejohn59 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:32 am

Hey Lanky
:shock: :surprised: It just goes to prove you shouldn't believe everything you read.

Tuning of all arrows to the bow that you shoot is required.

""Its all about tuning""

Carbons fly fine. On the shelf or off the shelf.

Have a read of the below link. Its more geared for the recurve but the same principles apply.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/img/downlo ... _guide.pdf

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 15, 2013 6:32 am

Morning.
littlejohn59 wrote: :shock: :surprised: It just goes to prove you shouldn't believe everything you read.

Tuning of all arrows to the bow that you shoot is required.

""Its all about tuning""

Yep.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Ronster

#9 Post by Ronster » Wed May 15, 2013 6:33 am

PS all my carbons have 3" feathers for my Trad bow and Tradtech Galaxy (Trad ILF)
Hi Lanky, off the shelf use only feathers! save the vanes for past centre shot target bows or compunds using extended rests that keep the arrow clear of the riser.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

wishsong

#10 Post by wishsong » Wed May 15, 2013 9:33 am

Can't add much to what the others have said . Like Graham , I am use carbons off elevated rests , but off the shelf its mainly wood and sometimes alloys . But a carbon will fly just dandy off the shelf .
But tune it up first ... saves so much time in the long run .

there are some configurations of vaned fletching that some have luck with off the shelf apparently , but on the whole Ronster last comment said it best !