Hoyt ILF Limb Fittings

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Hoyt ILF Limb Fittings

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi All.

Often ILF limb fittings gets a mention and is usually followed by questions as to if is Trad or Not.

From a time viewpoint the arrival of the ILF fitting is well known.

Read this:

http://slrecord.typepad.com/the_second_ ... t-usa.html

As to it being "Traditional" or otherwise it is more of question how old something has to be to be considered "Traditional" and is age alone the requirement for something to be considered "Traditional".

Note; I have not mentioned limbs - that is a whole different question.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

Re: Hoyt ILF Limb Fittings

#2 Post by perry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 pm

G/Day Grahame, Interesting Link, thanks for posting. The contribution of Hoyt to Archery is amazing and we have all benefitted from the innovations Hoyt has introduced.

I like ILF for the versatility it has added to my Bow Stable. I'm not flush with Cash but for modest outlay I can change my dedicated Target Bow into a Hunting Bow supreme with a simple Limb swap. I have 2 Risers and 3 sets of Limbs, have invested well under $1000 and effectively have 6 Bows of very good quality that cover any situation on the Range or in the Bush I'm likely to find. For another couple of Hundred I can upgrade to a heavy set of Limbs if I ever get a chance to Hunt large Dangerous Game and still stay under that $1000 I mentioned earlier

I don't necessarily tie the Age of something to Tradition. When it suits Folks new Technology is adopted quickly and becomes Traditional almost as soon as it is introduced, Fibreglass Laminations, Fast Flyte String Material, Plastic Nocks and Phenolic in Risers are examples. I also think that Traditional is not only tied to Equipment but to the Skills used to make, and shoot it. To my mind these Skills are the most important part of the Tradition.

Tradition is not static, it evolves throughout the Ages. Each Generations contribution to the sum of knowledge and advancement of Technology ensures this. I think what upsets so many People is the pace of change. It's fair to say Archery has never advanced at the pace it has in the last 70 years hence the often touted "Line in the Sand". Give it another 20 Years and where will the Line in the Sand be drawn then ?? Will some new innovation have swept Traditional Archery and further blurred the link between past and present.

I'll bet that that there will still be plenty of Folks making quality Timber Arrows such as made by Steve Wallace, many will be making Primitive Bows and that many new innovations will be in common use in the materials used to make Bow Laminations, Riser Materials and the like.

I wonder how ILF will be viewed in 20 years, will it have been replaced, I already see Hoyt has variations on the Market.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin