carbon arrows for new long bow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

mac1

carbon arrows for new long bow

#1 Post by mac1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Guys
I have a new bow a Maddog praire prediter by Mike Mecredy in the USA http://www.maddogarchery.com/ it's reflex deflex modern long bow 60" 42#@ 27 my draw on this bow is 26", string is a dynaflight- 10 , brace height 7" . Im trying to buy some carbon arrows for 3D, target work and comps, something that's going to give a flat trajectory, but finding it a bit confusing. I down loaded Stu's calculater but doesn't work as I don't have Windows Excel. Any recommendation on brand , model where to purchase would be appreciated.
Cheers Mac

Fanto

Re: carbon arrows for new long bow

#2 Post by Fanto » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 am

gday

(assuiming that bow is cut 1/8 before centre.) (and according to Stu's calculator)

GT 1535s with 120gr points would have to be full length (30"). even then would be 10# overspine

if your bow is cut to centre then accoding to the calculator they will be spot on.

I have a 30# bow, cut 1/4 before centre, from which i shoot GT ultralight .600 (same spine as the 1535s) with a 120gr point. they actually fly pretty well but a little stiff. i think they would work well from your bow. these are light arrows, under 6grain per inch excluding point. no probs target shooting out to 60 yards with the 30lb bow
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

discord

#3 Post by discord » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Mac
Stu's calculator works fine with libreOffice/openOffice (free)
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?ty ... sion=4.0.2

Fanto makes a good point though, you really need to know the centre-cut for it to be accurate, including the thickness of the arrow plate.
HAIL ERIS!

mac1

#4 Post by mac1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Ok,the bow is 22mm wide the centre line is 11mm and shelf is cut 11 mm in but only at bottom of shelf the vertical part of shelf is on taper, so with arrow on self, top of arrow would be 2mm short of centre add strike plate thickness 1mm, that's 3mm short of centre at top of arrow and bottom of arrow cut to centre. Hope you can understand don't know how else to explain it.

Mac

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 pm

if you call it 3mm before centre, then thats just under 1/8th.

a 1535 will be a little stiff then id reckon, but I think you could make an ultralight 600 work at full length, if you dont mind high FOC (i like it) then you can pile on more point weight to tune if required

the trad series arrows behave a little stiffer than their black GT equivalents
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

discord

#6 Post by discord » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm

I had a bit of a play around with the calc for you....
Most carbons have a max spine deflection of .600", which would need a heap of point weight to work for you if cut to length. This won't give you the flat trajectory you're after as you'd be looking at about 12gpp.

You can get target shafts with a softer spines, but they are very light and the total arrow weight might be too low for your bow and cause some damage. They are designed for olympic-style recurves that can handle lighter arrows. The couplw I looked at (Easton Carbon One, CX Medallion) seem to have glue-in points that only go up to 100gr or so.

I think the trick will be to find a target shaft that has an insert that will accept standard screw-in points so you can go a bit heavier up front and find a happy medium :biggrin:
HAIL ERIS!

Fanto

#7 Post by Fanto » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:38 pm

chaps

a Gt ultralight 600 only weights about 180gr full length, so with feathers insert and nock its touching 200gr.

even with 150 up front, youve got 350gr which is under 9 grains per pound. a little on the heavy side for target but safe for the bow and not too noisy, realistic for hunting.

they are pretty tough little shafts too and the hardware is all really easy to get and you can screw a blunt or broadhead on.

discord

#8 Post by discord » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Have a look at Carbon Express Predator II 800. Lots of AU sellers and you will be able to cut them to length. The GT ultralights will leave 4" of arrow hanging out the front of the bow....
HAIL ERIS!

Fanto

#9 Post by Fanto » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 pm

good point discord.

those carbon expresses would be much better

RobHunter

#10 Post by RobHunter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi

IT related answer.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Opens MS office docs, never had a problem with format and its free. No spyware etc.
Will open open excell

Rgds

Rob

mac1

#11 Post by mac1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks Guys
I'II have a look at the predator 2 and thanks Rob I have downloaded open office
Mac