Arrow plate and rest

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

RobHunter

Arrow plate and rest

#1 Post by RobHunter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Hey all

Just a question re what to use for the above. I have some felt floor protecters that are about 5mm thick. My bow string sits right on the sight window in alignment so if I
stick on the felt I guess it would change the arrow alignment. Will that effect the arrow spine weight I should use. I googled, but can't find an answer. Is it best to
have a very thin plate or a thick one?

I don't want to attach it and its wrong.

Rgds

Rob

longbow steve

Re: Arrow plate and rest

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi Rob, 5mm is pretty thick but have a shot with them and see if your impact point moves. A sharp razor blade should thing one down for you. Steve

ron300wm

#3 Post by ron300wm » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 pm

I have had a lot of practice with that problem bedding the riser to bring back to Center shot and elevation,
Use a slow drying glue . So you have time to move it.

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 pm

you can thin that felt with a sharp knife by cutting in half.

it makes a bow very quite
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

littlejohn59

#5 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:15 am

Hey Rob
I use double sided tape. I glue the felt to the tape. That way when its worn out you can remove the arrow plate without damaging the bow.

The spine shouldn't change but your knocking point will have to be adjusted and if you use sights them too will require adjusting.

RobHunter

#6 Post by RobHunter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks all

The advice really helped. My bow is shooting great. Alot quieter than before. I'm lucky enough to have
a back garden large enough for a 20m "range". Keep hitting the Bunny target on a regular basis.

I've wrapped the String, both ends with wool and made some really crappy silencers (they do make a difference).
The 3 wooden shafted arrows are alot quieter than the carbons, but the carbons fly out alot faster. As well as the
redzone 55/70's I have , I bought 3 Goldtip EH 7595's and fitted the 2 blade broadheads (125g) on them. They all seem to
follow the same flight path.

I am trying a weight increase on one of the redzones - Fish tank plastic tube with a timberlock nails Head cut off )fits very snuggly,
and pushed to the point. WIth a varmint buster head on it it weights 36 grams (555.5 grains). It seems to have better penetration
on a polystyrene target, only tried a few shots to see if the weight moved , which it didn't.

Rgds

Rob