Tuning carbon arrows

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Tuning carbon arrows

#1 Post by matt61 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Was mucking around yesterday with an Easton traditional 500 spine carbon arrow from 3Rivers.
The bare shaft was 31" long With an insert and a 125grn tip to start with, after shooting it and
then cutting off 6mm quite a few times I got it flying pretty good at 20 mtrs using the Easton
uni-nock. I then glue in traditional nock adapter and glued a Marco nock to the adapter and
shot it again and it shot crap :confused: After a few shots more I pulled the nock and adapter
out and put the Easton uni-nock back in,and it shot beautiful. The brain says weigh the bits,
the uni-nock weighs 12grns and the Marco nock and adapter weigh 20grns. I was amazed :shock:
that 8grns made such a difference and made the arrow fly indicating under spined , 8grns is
the weight of a couple of 4" feathers. Has anyone else noticed the same thing.
Matt

hazard

Re: Tuning carbon arrows

#2 Post by hazard » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey Matt
Yes! I put 30mm of alu shaft on the point and 10mm of shaft on the knock end to reinforce the ends and it made a lot of difference. I had to shorten the shafe nearly 1/2 an inch to compensate.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

flyne

Re: Tuning carbon arrows

#3 Post by flyne » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey Matt I had the same thing happen years ago shooting compound and It ended up being one of the nocks was tighter fit on the string then the other and I just files it out and was all good
Flyne
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing