Back tension?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fraser

Back tension?

#1 Post by Fraser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi all, has any one got any tricks for maintaining back tension? I noticed today that my release is much better when drawing half way back to my ear ( using up all 34" of arrow") then when I use a conventional anchor point. I'm guessing that I have better back tension at the longer draw. Are there tricks to maintaining back tension with a normal draw? Or will it be easier to just shoot with the longer draw?

Fraser.

perry

Re: Back tension?

#2 Post by perry » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 pm

I think what you are describing with the longer draw is simply better alignment. Effectively your Elbow has come more behind you. Do a simple experiment and stand in front of a Mirror, then watch the position of your Elbow with an under the Chin Anchor, your standard Anchor and then the extended Draw.

I'll qualify the word Anchor by adding that one should never stop Drawing the Bow. You don't continuously increase your Draw Length, their is a point where you need to lock into a repeatable Anchor Point but keep an continuous expansion going

The secret to a good release has it's root in a solid Bowarm. Try pushing slightly with your Bow Arm throughout the Draw and until you are ready to Loose. If you do it correctly your Bowarm will be rock solid, your Release Hand will come back slightly and most importantly your Fingers will point down slightly - this is an indicator of the beginnings of Back Tension. There is much more to it but this is a start.

Find some footage of Howard Hill, he used the Swing Draw. He started Drawing with the Bow held low at his hip, as he approached Full Draw approx 6" from Anchor his Bow Arm had swung up and was on Target. This method allows the Muscles of the Back and Shoulders to work more effectively and promotes that "Push" I was talking of than the stand and deliver type draw many Archers use. This stand and deliver draw as I call it shooting heavy Bows wrecked my Shoulder

I highly recommend the Masters of the Barebow series of DVD's, there is more info on them regarding Back Tension than I could type in a month. I hope others chime in as they may offer other insights

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Fraser

#3 Post by Fraser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks Jacko, that explains a few things for me.

Fraser

Fraser

#4 Post by Fraser » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks Jacko, the swing draw works a treat.

Fraser