Form video uploaded - help sought

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

Form video uploaded - help sought

#1 Post by Fanto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Gday all

I've been filming my shooting a little and trying to improve my form by looking at it and trying to fix things.

heres a recent one, sorry its sideways I have no editing software for video and cannot work it out!!

Id like to hear what those in the know think needs work,

cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nngV0MW ... e=youtu.be
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fraser

Re: Form video uploaded - help sought

#2 Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Fanto does that bow have a locator style handle?

Fraser.

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Fraser

yeah it does. best grip I've ever used. I never ever have to think about how i hold that bow.

heres a pic of one:

http://www.stotlerarchery.com/media/ima ... myrtle.JPG

mines leather wrapped. its also a takedown. they start with a one piece and cut it up into 3 bits.

its 69# at 27 and I'm drawing it to 28.5 so maybe 73#. its cored with bamboo and carbon, and its really smooth drawing, much much smoother than my 60# martin recurve. I've had a couple of months off with an AC joint injury from the stupid 110# Hunter I though id learn to shoot... loving it again now

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fraser

#4 Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm not sure if it applies to that sort grip, it's a problem that Jeff picked up with my form, until know I've been shooting Howard Hill longbows. This what I found, others will correct me if I'm wrong, when you hold the bow essentially with the of your forefinger and thumb, you increase the chance of the bow torquing, you need the rest of your palm in contact with the handle. How are the arrows hitting the target?

Like I said the style of grip you are using my preclude every thing I've just said.

Fraser.

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 pm

fraser

yes i have battled bow torque, but not having problems with it any more. its much much less disruptive on a longbow than recurve. my mamba is really sensitive to torque because it has fine narrow little tips and its very easy to pull them off centre and spray arrows everywhere.

Fraser

#6 Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Fanto, What are the arrows doing?

Fraser

Fanto

#7 Post by Fanto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55 pm

oh, i forgot. actually they were grouping ok today. i shoot two at a time, and more often than not they were within 2-3" of each other , only a few outside of the 6" target /gold zone.

on the other hand, every now and then one ends up 8" from where it was aimed! id like to stamp out those shots.

there is no pattern to the misses either, left, right high and low

cheers

Fraser

#8 Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Have you ever had a problem with dropping your arm straight after the shoot? Do you always loose at the same time in your breathing cycle ie: at he bottom of the breath?

Fraser.

Fanto

#9 Post by Fanto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 pm

fraser,

yes i did have a bow arm dropping issue I've been working on. looking back on those videos again, I wonder if my string elbow is a little high? perhaps causing the problem

I always breathe half way in, stop, draw, breathe in some more, loose during the inhale.

this breathing bit is a new innovation in the past month. it makes for a noticeably better release.

Fraser

#10 Post by Fraser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:32 am

The breathing technique comes from rifle shooting. You need to loose at the bottom of your exhaled breath. That is the most consistent point.

Fraser.

Fanto

#11 Post by Fanto » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 am

Really?

ive been following the teachings of Byron Ferguson and Arne from tradgang (an archery coach) who both concur that one should inhale and release as it causes the chest to expand, assists with continuing the draw through the shot and facilitates a clean release

there are obvoiusly many different schools of thought

Fraser

#12 Post by Fraser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 pm

When we where teaching people to shoot the reason for shooting at the bottom of the breath was that, the faster the heart rate the deeper the breath, ie inconsistency. All fine on the range when your heart rate is under control to shoot at the top of your breath, that may not be the case in the field.

That's my take on it, and since I've doing it that way so long I'm not likely to change.

Fraser

Fanto

#13 Post by Fanto » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Fraser,

what you say makes sense. inhaling up to release doesnt come naturally to me, i have to work at it. Ill try loosing at the end of exhale and see how i go

Fraser

#14 Post by Fraser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:15 pm

It works for me, I don't have to think about it, and then I can concentrate on other issues in my form.

I normally have had the odd issue with bow torqu when using HH longbows, regardless of draw wieght, yet with the warbow, no bow torque. Can't wait to fix the bow nocks so than I can weigh it and keep playing with it.

Fraser

perry

#15 Post by perry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

I saw 2 different Release's. The first one immediately after release your Fingers where briefly held straight forward, maybe a little creep forward as well - both indicators of a loss of back tension , then you thought about it and then made a 2nd movement and finished your Follow through. The way you threw the Bow to the inside is also an indicator of a loss of back tension

The 2nd shot was much cleaner. 2 shots is not a big enough sample but I would suggest you practice pushing through the Shot with your Bow Arm, this will aid Back Tension greatly. The secret to a good release is all in your Bow Arm. Pushing through your shot makes the muscles between your Shoulders work a little harder

Shooting at the bottom of a breath is the most steady way to shoot, lots of lessons to be learned from shooting Firearms can be applied to Archery. The Clue is to develop a Shot Sequence and repeat it exactly each shot. This way you will learn to tell what you did wrong on each Shot.

I also feel you need to be standing more upright, perhaps just holding your head a little higher may help you maintain consistent Back Tension due to your skeleton doing more work and your muscles less. Being more upright will allow better alignment

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Fanto

#16 Post by Fanto » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 am

thanks Jacko

I see exactly what you mean, plenty of work to do.

regards
damian