Arrow weight for self bows

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fraser

Arrow weight for self bows

#1 Post by Fraser » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi all, I know the normal rule of thump for trad archery when selecting arrows is 10gr per lb of draw weight. Does this hold true for self bows? Would 8gr per lb be to light? I have two sets of arrows I'm using with my current bow, quondong at 8gr and tas oak at 9gr. Thier spines will probably be suitable but I'm unsure of thier wieght. Little arrows is sending my some nice beefy man sized billets, but I just wanted at starting point on where to take them. Current bow is a HH style long bow with a shelf, and the new bow is an ELB 15# heavier.

Fraser

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Arrow weight for self bows

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:06 pm

IMO those weight arras will be fine. I do prefer heavier as it makes the bow feel nicer to shoot because more of the bows stored energy is used to push the arra so less left over and felt as hand shock. Also the heavier arras are better for hunting.

Jeff

Fraser

#3 Post by Fraser » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks Jeff, the lightest of quondong arrows is 800gr and the lightest of the tas oak are 900gr. Just didn't want to damage the bow by shooting a too lite arrow out of it.

Fraser

Kingsley

#4 Post by Kingsley » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi Fraser today I found one of your tree stumps that you must have lost I will get it to you the next time I see you.

Kingsley

Fraser

#5 Post by Fraser » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks Kingsley, I had an upset little boy this morning, we where all set to come out for the 3d shot, but 4 year olds and torrential rain don't mix. Shame really, he's getting quite good for his age and doesn't need my help any more. We should be out for the 3rd of March shoot.

Fraser