feathers

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ozzy

feathers

#1 Post by ozzy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 pm

i have bought some full length feathers and done a bit of experimenting with them..basically measured them and the cut them in equall lengths of three...pretty rough i admit but the end result was surprisingly good...improved arrow flight especially with broadheads,although a bit noisey..i guess they are pretty much a flu flu.question is what is the best part to use of the full length feather.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: feathers

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:50 pm

The full length feathers now days seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I only get one 5" flight out of them and I cut it out of the centre.

Jeff

ozzy

#3 Post by ozzy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm

thanks jeff...i will try and get some pics and post up...as they say pictures says a thousand words

jcm

#4 Post by jcm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Ozzy, Look forward to the pics.
Jeff,
It seems the go across most of the feather manufacturers.
A full length feathers - 7" to 8" if lucky 10".
Regards
John

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Yeah John. I've seen mention it has to do with how they mostly raise the turkeys now days.

Jeff

jcm

#6 Post by jcm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Thought it was the $$ motive.

Regards

John

Axefanatic

#7 Post by Axefanatic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Yeah John. I've seen mention it has to do with how they mostly raise the turkeys now days.

Jeff
I was about to ask if it was due to younger birds being harvested, then I read this.

Are there any other sources for natural feathers? Or is the commercially available stuff restricted to turkey?
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am

jcm wrote:Thought it was the $$ motive.
You are in a better position to know about that then I am John. I read it was to do with lack of supply because of the way they are raised. All I know is that the full length feathers of today are much shorter than they used to be.
Axefanatic wrote:Are there any other sources for natural feathers? Or is the commercially available stuff restricted to turkey?
I think for commercial use the turkey feathers are the most suitable I believe. For personal use there are a number of alternatives with Geese feathers being one of the better ones.

Jeff

Buranurra

#9 Post by Buranurra » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 am

When I did a working stint on a kibbutz in Israel around 18 years ago, some of the turkeys weighed in around 50kg!!! Vicious buggers, I was thankful I worked on the date palms! :biggrin:

I read that geese feathers are great as they have a far better water shedding capacity. I imagine that swan would be like really good if you could find shed ones.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

ozzy

#10 Post by ozzy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 am

as promised here is a pic.....only one feather though,they average 95mm long and i put as much twist on them as i can with my jig.they are pretty good in flight with broadheads and target points but are noisey,pretty much a flu flu i guess.....ugly looking but they work would like to pretty it up though
any suggestions

Fraser

#11 Post by Fraser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Has any one tried Magpie goose feathers? From Sep to Dec each year thousands are shoot during the goose season, I never thought about using the feathers when lived up there, but may be some one else has tried.

Cheers,

Fraser

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Ozzy, Make yourself a template out of two pieces of cardboard or tin plate. You then place a piece of the template each side of your fletch and cut around it with a sharp pair of scissors. This would tidy the flights up for you and they wouldn't get knocked around so much when being shot.
Fraser wrote:Has any one tried Magpie goose feathers?
A mate of mine got a permit one year to collect them and they made nice flights so long as you liked black. :biggrin:

Jeff

Fraser

#13 Post by Fraser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:12 pm

A mate of mine got a permit one year to collect them and they made nice flights so long as you liked black. :biggrin:

Jeff[/quote]

The normal process when you shoot them is to take the breast only, the rest of the carcass is left where it lies. Even after the pigs and dogs are finished with the scraps, the wings are left. All you would have to do is head to Harrison's dam, Howard swamp, or Lambells lagoon and pick up the feathers.

Now all I've got to do is travel 2000km at the right time of year to pick up a couple of hundred unground feathers :neutral: on second thought it might be cheaper to keep buying them :lol:

Fraser

ozzy

#14 Post by ozzy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Ozzy, Make yourself a template out of two pieces of cardboard or tin plate. You then place a piece of the template each side of your fletch and cut around it with a sharp pair of scissors. This would tidy the flights up for you and they wouldn't get knocked around so much when being shot.

Jeff
not a bad idea jeff just cant make me mind up on what shape have tried parabolic,sheild......both seem to fly a bit unstable till i tried these

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

ozzy wrote:have tried parabolic,sheild......both seem to fly a bit unstable till i tried these
Well to me that says that you haven't got your arrows matched to your bow as you certainly shouldn't need those size feathers to have stable arrow flight.

Jeff

ozzy

#16 Post by ozzy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
ozzy wrote:have tried parabolic,sheild......both seem to fly a bit unstable till i tried these
Well to me that says that you haven't got your arrows matched to your bow as you certainly shouldn't need those size feathers to have stable arrow flight.

Jeff
thats what i recon as well jeff ...will have to keep working on the spine before i worry about feathers i recon

little arrows

#17 Post by little arrows » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:00 pm

ozzy as Jeff just mentioned I was going to ask if you were sure the spine of the arrow was correct - perhaps it isn't.

With the turkey feathers, the breaders are getting more money from meat, so the feathers are suffering, plus they "trim" the right wing feathers to stop them flying, which is why they have left wing mainly in the US. However, we are buying both right and left wing full length feathers, both are getting shorter in length as time goes on.

cheers
sue

GrahameA

#18 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 am

Morning All
ozzy wrote:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Ozzy, Make yourself a template out of two pieces of cardboard or tin plate. You then place a piece of the template each side of your fletch and cut around it with a sharp pair of scissors. This would tidy the flights up for you and they wouldn't get knocked around so much when being shot.

Jeff
not a bad idea jeff just cant make me mind up on what shape have tried parabolic,sheild......both seem to fly a bit unstable till i tried these
Only a small percentage of those feathers will be of use. You would probably find it cheaper to buy some Goose (probably Canadian) feather from some of the feather merchants.s
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Fraser

#19 Post by Fraser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:28 am

Hi Grahame, I'm basically thinking out loud. I shoot hundreds of geese when I lived up there and never used the feathers. I've been using full length feathers that I bought from Tradbits, most of them seam to be of a lot better quality than what is normal these days, most of them are about 9" long.

Fraser

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:23 am

Fraser wrote:I've been using full length feathers that I bought from Tradbits, most of them seam to be of a lot better quality than what is normal these days, most of them are about 9" long.
The full length feathers we used to be able to get were around 12".

Jeff

Fraser

#21 Post by Fraser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I now there are problems with feathers now, according to the true flight sight it because of the way the turkeys are raised. All I get is 1 5" fletch for me, and a 2.5" for the kids per feather.

Fraser