Breaking in a self bow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fraser

Re: Breaking in a self bow

#31 Post by Fraser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Thanks Grayson.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Red Ash should also work fine IMO Fraser.

Jeff

Fraser

#33 Post by Fraser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm

I can't find much info on red ash Jeff, when I googled it, it said grew along most of he east coast, and had several comman names, including coppers wood, soap bush, and leather jacket. Are these the same tree your taking about?

Fraser.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#34 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Fraser wrote:it said grew along most of he east coast, and had several comman names, including coppers wood, soap bush, and leather jacket. Are these the same tree your taking about?
Yeah mate that is the one. Take a look at my post in this thread as I have photos attached of it. http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... sh#p131027

Jeff

Fraser

#35 Post by Fraser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 am

I know the tree Jeff, lots of it around here. What makes a better stave, the trunk or a limb?

Fraser.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#36 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 am

Definitely the trunk mate. You can just take the bark off and the outside of the tree is the back of the bow. This is a really old photo but is the only one I have on the computer of a Red Ash English longbow that Dennis La Varenne made my son back in the 90's. You can't see much detail but the back of the bow was the wood straight under the bark and you can see the limbs have a few wobbles in them.

Jeff
Attachments
Jay - self bow Billy web.jpg
Jay - self bow Billy web.jpg (240.74 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

Fraser

#37 Post by Fraser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks Jeff, what's good reading for making selfbows?

Fraser

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#38 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am

The Traditional Bowyers Bibles. There should be some good threads on hear from Daryl (Greybeard) and Dennis La Varenne also.

Jeff

Fraser

#39 Post by Fraser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks

job

#40 Post by job » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Fraser wrote:A little of topic, but does any one know if some one has made a heavy self bow out of one the Australian timbers: Brigalow, Gidgee, or something else?

Fraser
I'm based in Tassie so I'm not too well up on the Big Island's timbers, but I've heard some good reports on certain Wattles. When I make a selfbow I find it easier to work from a split stave. They tend to be stronger in my experience. I'm not sure what you'd classify as a heavy bow? I'm pretty sure Turbow, Cliff turpin, who's up your way (4034 wherever that is?) uses wattle. Maybe you could find out from him what species? I'd like to know myself. he does Spotted Gum board bows, but they're only light weight. For a warbow you'd want to be sure of your timber. They could give you a fair smack round the head! :wink:

Fraser

#41 Post by Fraser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:20 pm

job wrote:
Fraser wrote:A little of topic, but does any one know if some one has made a heavy self bow out of one the Australian timbers: Brigalow, Gidgee, or something else?

Fraser
I'm based in Tassie so I'm not too well up on the Big Island's timbers, but I've heard some good reports on certain Wattles. When I make a selfbow I find it easier to work from a split stave. They tend to be stronger in my experience. I'm not sure what you'd classify as a heavy bow? I'm pretty sure Turbow, Cliff turpin, who's up your way (4034 wherever that is?) uses wattle. Maybe you could find out from him what species? I'd like to know myself. he does Spotted Gum board bows, but they're only light weight. For a warbow you'd want to be sure of your timber. They could give you a fair smack round the head! :wink:
Job, the wieght of a heavy bow can be a bit debatable, most people call 80# and above heavy, but it depends on the person. I currently shot a 95# and a 120#. From what I can gather a lot of the acacias can make self bows. Going to have to do a fair bit of reading first.

Fraser.