Breaking in a self bow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fraser

Breaking in a self bow

#1 Post by Fraser » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi All, I'm being given a ELB self bow made of Osage orange for my birthday. I've never used a self bow before, is there away that a self bow needs to be broken in/treated before shooting it for the first time?

Cheers,

Fraser.

longbow steve

Re: Breaking in a self bow

#2 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi Fraser, it should be all bet done as a part of the building process but factors such as your draw length and whether or not you put pressure on your bow hand (heeling the bow etc) can have an effect on tiller. If the bow is not being made for you specifically they tend to be over built to take the abuse that they will likely get from such factors and or other people shooting the bow.
I look forward to seeing what you get. Cheers Steve

Fraser

#3 Post by Fraser » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks Steve, it's being made to suit my longer draw length (32"). The reason I asked is I'd read some recommendations after doing a google search and wondered if they where normal. Called for stringing the bow, rubbing it down with warm wax, letting it sit strung for 1/2 hour, shooting 12 arrows 1/2 draw, 12 arrows 3/4 draw, and finally 12 arrows at full draw. I can't see how waxing the the bow would help if it has been properly sealed.

Cheers,

Fraser

Buranurra

#4 Post by Buranurra » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm

Can't wait to see the bow!

I can't see how any of the "breaking-in" info you found can do any harm. I dunno about the warm wax though but anything that adds a bit a insurance or confidence in looking after the bow sounds worthwhile to me.

Now, get pics pronto :lol:

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Perhaps do whatever the bowyers recommends. Some care needs to be taken but that sounds more like ritual rather than anything necessary :smile: . Steve

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Fraser wrote: I can't see how waxing the the bow would help if it has been properly sealed.

I reckon if it is sealed properly you don't need to do anything else but

[*]stringing and sitting the bow with a couple of gentle pre draws not to full draw length

[*]Un-stringing it as soon as it is not in use.

[*]Not leaving strung for extended periods of time

[*]Not using it in temperatures over 30 degrees.

These points have got to help the longevity of the bow, but this is what I understand there may be a couple of other guidelines others can offer.

I guess when you buy any self bow of any kind you would be unreasonable to expect a life time unconditional warranty so you do need to pay some attention as to how you would look after it.

It sounds like you have got a beautiful animal there mate, once you have got to know it I reckon you will have a special place for this one. I have had some really amazing lessons from mine Congrats mate :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fraser

#7 Post by Fraser » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks guys, once I've got it and got it sorted out I'll post some pics.I'm hoping that all that is required to look after a self bow is common sense. It's 15# heavier than my current glass backed longbow, so it will be interesting to see who they compare. I've always wanted one of these bows so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Cheers,

Fraser

bodkin

#8 Post by bodkin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Fraser wrote:Thanks guys, once I've got it and got it sorted out I'll post some pics.I'm hoping that all that is required to look after a self bow is common sense. It's 15# heavier than my current glass backed longbow, so it will be interesting to see who they compare. I've always wanted one of these bows so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Cheers,

Fraser
Hi Fraser, this is my first post to this site and I know I'm late. Just thought I'd say from my experience that it's really important to warm up a selfbow every time before use. I do a gentle progressive draw method for a few minutes slowly building up to full draw length. I've broken a few bows over the years by picking them up and going straight to full draw without thinking. Bang! Incidently the progressive draw also works well for the archer, because it's warming up your muscles as well. Heavy bows can damage the user, especially in cold weather. Have fun and good shooting.

kerrille

#9 Post by kerrille » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:28 am

A couple of years ago a well known bowyer from england came here and was teaching us how to make elb's and how to shoot warbows ,before you shoot any all wood bow you should warm them up ,you can do this when you string it ,if you use a stringer just slowly bend and straighten the bow a few times ,or alse just do as said before draw it back to half then slowly all the way ,he also said never let anyone else use your bow as it gets a memory and knows whos shooting it .when we were at his classes a bloke strung his bow and pulled it full draw past his ear ,there was a very loud bang as the bow exploded and he got a blood nose and a huge cut across his forehead ,steave stratten just looked up said d/head i told him and kept instructing ,now there is a number of blokes on this site who seen that happen and i think it will stay with us for a long time hay len ,a beautifull all wood yew bow destroyed because someone wouldnt listen.

......nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Fraser

#10 Post by Fraser » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi Nev and Bodkin, I understand what your both saying. Roadie sent me a PM a month or so a go detailing how to break the bow in. Once it was strung I loosed thirty arrow at half draw, thirty at 3/4 draw, and thirty at full draw plus a few more. I used a bowyers knot on the bottom bow nock so it got strung and re-strung a few times as I worked out the string length, first time I strung it I ended up with a 1" brace height. Currently have a 7" brace height and I'm excepecting some string stretch when I use it this afternoon. I want about 6" brace but we'll see how it shoots.

Going to warm up with the lite bow use the heavy bow and then warm down again with the lite bow. The bow ended up being 120# so I need to do some strength work.

Fraser.

bodkin

#11 Post by bodkin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Fraser wrote:Hi Nev and Bodkin, I understand what your both saying. Roadie sent me a PM a month or so a go detailing how to break the bow in. Once it was strung I loosed thirty arrow at half draw, thirty at 3/4 draw, and thirty at full draw plus a few more. I used a bowyers knot on the bottom bow nock so it got strung and re-strung a few times as I worked out the string length, first time I strung it I ended up with a 1" brace height. Currently have a 7" brace height and I'm excepecting some string stretch when I use it this afternoon. I want about 6" brace but we'll see how it shoots.

Going to warm up with the lite bow use the heavy bow and then warm down again with the lite bow. The bow ended up being 120# so I need to do some strength work.

Fraser.
Hi Fraser, I think you should be careful with a 7" brace height if the bow is new. I never go over 6" until it gets a bit of set. Just a thought. Good shooting

Fraser

#12 Post by Fraser » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi Bodkin, was playing with it before and it seams to have settled at just over 5", I had to redo the bowyers not which was part of the reason. I've noticed that the tiller had changed a little since I've started, top and bottom have similar brace now.

Fraser.

Gilly

#13 Post by Gilly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:42 pm

hazard wrote: I reckon if it is sealed properly you don't need to do anything else but

[*]stringing and sitting the bow with a couple of gentle pre draws not to full draw length

[*]Un-stringing it as soon as it is not in use.

[*]Not leaving strung for extended periods of time

[*]Not using it in temperatures over 30 degrees.

These points have got to help the longevity of the bow, but this is what I understand there may be a couple of other guidelines others can offer.

I guess when you buy any self bow of any kind you would be unreasonable to expect a life time unconditional warranty so you do need to pay some attention as to how you would look after it.

It sounds like you have got a beautiful animal there mate, once you have got to know it I reckon you will have a special place for this one. I have had some really amazing lessons from mine Congrats mate :mrgreen:

Hazard
All of the above [*] items are very important. While you can never tell how long a self bow will last, adhering to these will certainly help.

Fraser

#14 Post by Fraser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Hilly, not using it in temps above 30c is going to be a problem. I live in Mackay.

Fraser.

Gilly

#15 Post by Gilly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:50 pm

It is Osage so it may be OK as long as you stick to the other rules!
I won't shoot my Yew bow at all in the summer as I don't want to risk it! :lol:

Fraser

#16 Post by Fraser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Fair call, I've been keeping the wax up to it, only had it a few days and no sign of problems yet, still getting the hang of it though.

Fraser.

Gilly

#17 Post by Gilly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Fraser wrote:Fair call, I've been keeping the wax up to it, only had it a few days and no sign of problems yet, still getting the hang of it though.

Fraser.
At the end of the day, enjoy your bow, that's the main thing! :wink:
Will you be coming down to the HVTA Gathering in June?

Fraser

#18 Post by Fraser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 pm

What's the HVTA gathering and where is it?

Fraser.

Gilly

#19 Post by Gilly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Fraser wrote:What's the HVTA gathering and where is it?

Fraser.
I'm sure a lot of people will describe it differently but basically is a comp that is held over the Queen's birthday long weekend, it's a blast, lots of like-minded people shooting traditional equipment, there is also axe and knife throwing, a huge raffle, great canteen etc.
It's at the HVTA site, if you google Hunter Valley Traditional Archers you will be able to get a map.

Fraser

#20 Post by Fraser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Hoping to get as far south as the Caboolture shoot this year. Might have trouble convincing the wife to travel 3000km with 4 kids to the hunter.

Fraser

bodkin

#21 Post by bodkin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Gilly wrote:It is Osage so it may be OK as long as you stick to the other rules!
I haven't heard about high temperatures affecting bows before. What happens? I'm intrigued. It's cold where I live.

Fraser

#22 Post by Fraser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Bodkin, I'm far from a timber expert, but my guess is that the extra expansion could alow for moisture to get in. Doesn't help that the high temps come with high humidity.

There is probably some one out there with a better description of the problem. Happy to here other ideas.

Fraser.

hazard

#23 Post by hazard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm

bodkin wrote:
Gilly wrote:It is Osage so it may be OK as long as you stick to the other rules!
I haven't heard about high temperatures affecting bows before. What happens? I'm intrigued. It's cold where I live.
You find more string follow, and loss of poundage slightly the longer you leave it strung or use it.

Think of it as a living creature and if your feeling the heat the fibres in the bow are also even trees react to changes in temperature, If its a cold day the poundage will hold better or feel stiffer.

Leave it a couple of hours unstrung and it all goes back to where it has been shot into. But too much heat in a yew bow isn't as kind as if it was osage so I understand.

Gilly

#24 Post by Gilly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:00 am

hazard wrote:
bodkin wrote:
You find more string follow, and loss of poundage slightly the longer you leave it strung or use it.

Think of it as a living creature and if your feeling the heat the fibres in the bow are also even trees react to changes in temperature, If its a cold day the poundage will hold better or feel stiffer.

Leave it a couple of hours unstrung and it all goes back to where it has been shot into. But too much heat in a yew bow isn't as kind as if it was osage so I understand.
Spot on!

Fraser

#25 Post by Fraser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:36 am

A little of topic, but does any one know if some one has made a heavy self bow out of one the Australian timbers: Brigalow, Gidgee, or something else?

Fraser

Gilly

#26 Post by Gilly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 am

I personally have no idea but I will ask around. I'm sure its been done.
There will be guys on here that would know too.

Fraser

#27 Post by Fraser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 am

Was just curious, I know lite bows have been made of brigalow before.

Fraser

longbow steve

#28 Post by longbow steve » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 am

Brigalow will make a heavy bow. I haven't seen a Gidgee bow but I reckon it will be of similar quality to Brigalow. Steve

Fraser

#29 Post by Fraser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:31 pm

I'll have to get the bowyers bible and start reading.

Fraser

hazard

#30 Post by hazard » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Rob Nicoll put Purple Gidgee in the riser of my recurve but as for the application of a self bow, I would ask him. I havent seen it anywhere else.

I consider him quite knowledgable when it comes to the hands on value of the timber.

Hazard