Amazing what a difference a string makes

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

slinkymalinky

Amazing what a difference a string makes

#1 Post by slinkymalinky » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm

I've just received an 8 strand D10 string from SBD Bow Strings, for my 50# Hoyt Gamemaster. I bought it on a recommendation from a member on another forum, as a way to help quieten my bow (out of the box, Gamemasters are cannons... just ask the people who stand near me at our undercover club practice range).

Well it's worked... almost too well. The noise has pretty well vanished (the SBD skinny string came with recurve wraps and string silencers too)

BUT with the old string (a fast flight supplied with the bow) I had my arrows tuned spot on. I was shooting 29.5" .500 spine arrows with a 125gn tip; and 29.5" .400 spine arrows with a 220gn tip. After just spending some time bareshaft testing with the new string, both arrows are now waaay soft. Courtesy of the faster string but I had no idea the difference would be so significant. To carry a 125gn tip, I now need 30" .400 spine arrows and I'm going to have to get a few 340 spine shafts to have any hope of getting an arrow that will carry a heavy broadhead at any length I can shoot (29.5" +)

No real question to ask... just thought it was a really interesting observation and a trap for young players (like me)... get the bow set up how you want BEFORE you cut your arrows. I'm going to try to swap a set of .500 spine FMJs if I can because I really like the silence of this new string but failing that, my first hunt in 2 weeks will be with the old string, more noise or not (If I have to pick between accuracy and stealth, I'll choose accuracy).

If anyone's interested in swapping some arrows, have a look in the Trade Blanket forum.

Cheers, Tony
PS... SBD strings are well worth a look.
"There is no spoon"

clinton miller

Re: Amazing what a difference a string makes

#2 Post by clinton miller » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 pm

yep, skinny strings are good. noticed the same thing when i switched from a 16 strand dacron rope.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

perry

Re: Amazing what a difference a string makes

#3 Post by perry » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Pleased that your Gamemaster has finally been Tamed. The Skinny String Craze was raging a while back, never tried it myself but I have read many examples such as yours.

Is your new string Double Served Tony so the Arrows fit the serving better ?

Next time you need a String Tony put out the word Mate, their is plenty of Folks who would be willing to teach you how to make your own Flemish String, myself included. Dead set easy and a great deal cheaper.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin