100# Hunting recurve, what would it be like?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

100# Hunting recurve, what would it be like?

#1 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:21 pm

gday all

i really enjoy shooting heavier bows. my heaviest is about 72# at my draw. I remember seeing an 80# martin hunter a while ago, for sale, and I have just located a 100# Martin Hunter 62" recurve.

i have this bow in 60#. It shoots fairly heavy arrows quite fast, has good cast and is a pleasure to shoot. i use it at the field archery range.

has anyone shot or seen a 100# modern laminated hunting recurve ? shot one even? I can only imagine it moves a very very heavy arrow at quite a rate. the arrow calculator tool i have, which is pretty close compared to my actual observations, indicates that the bow would send a 1000gr arrow on its way at 180fps plus. this would take some stopping!

any thoughts?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

woodie

Re: 100# Hunting recurve, what would it be like?

#2 Post by woodie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 pm

I have not seen a recurve of that poundage but I have seen a 150# laminated longbow, arrows from that take some stoping.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Fraser

#3 Post by Fraser » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 am

Fanto, I'm not sure about the performance of a 100# recurve, but I am currently shooting a 95# laminated longbow. I would expect that a recurve would have a slightly better performance than my longbow. Any way my bow spits out a 900gr+ arrow in the 180-190fps bracket, I have shot arrows of 1150gr, and they still fly fine. The down range performance of a heavy bow is different to the performance of light (60lb) bows, the trajectory of the arrow doesn't drop away after 40m like it does with a light bow. Unfortunetly if you miss the target the arrow doesn't stop in hurry. I have only taken it hunting once and haven't taken a pig with it yet, so I can't comment on it's terminal performance, but the penitratation it has shown so far has been fairly ominous.

I hope that satifies some of your curiosity.

Cheers,

Fraser

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 am

Fraser
it does, thanks. Im really interested in a heavy bow , im going to try to buy it.

What is the construction of your arrows? I was thinking about a carbon inside an alloy?

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

scuzz

#5 Post by scuzz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 am

Hi

I shoot a 75lb norsman with 29 1/2 inch draw. My arrows are 820gr.
Around the range it is noticeable that my arrows fly quite quickly, hit the target hard with noticeable penetration, and have very flat trajectory. I could only imagine a recurve of 100# to contain the benefits of a higher poundage even more so.

But note that if your overbowed than you will suffer accuracy troubles. I have been away from archery for 4 years, but am starting to get back into it again now. Four years ago i was able to draw this bow to anchor and hold for as long as i like, but now i am overbowed as anchoring each time is quite a feat. I do however believe that practicing with the higher weight on a regular basis, does allow you to eventually draw it comfortably. Just like any other kind of weight training i guess.

Scuzz

Fraser

#6 Post by Fraser » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 am

Fanto, I'm using 3/8" tasie oak at 34" with a 190gr 23/64 field tip and 6" feathers. The shafts them self normally wiegh around 700 grains. I've been useing 190gr ribteks for broadheads. By the spin charts I think you would only have the choice of Easton FMJ dangerous game in 250's and Grizly stiks, might be touch and go with the eastons though. I can't use carbons with a broadhead, hits the front of the bow before I get to full draw.

I've found shooting the heavy bow to be very satisfying, It's not as hard as people say and doesn't cause pain in my shoulders (if you slap your above the gaurd it will draw blood!) It's well worth the efort and intimidates the crap out of the wheely bow shooters!

Cheers

Fraser

Fanto

#7 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:33 am

Fraser,

I like the sound of all of all of that! By alloy over carbon im talking about a home made arrow where i would glue a carbon arrow inside an alloy arrow. this is apparently common for dangerous game/ heavy bows. It would be good to try the tas oak 3/8 also. a lot less mucking about too.

Scuzz,

I too like the heavy draw weight. took a few months to build strength to shoot 50 and 60# bows, but the step to 72# plus was a piece of cake, no accuracy change. I recok another 25# or so will take some time to work up to. I think i will be able to more or less draw it to anchor, but i think i will have a lot of work to do to get accuracy and consistency, as well as endurance!

flyne

#8 Post by flyne » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 am

Fanto I've shot long bows in the 100#+ range on and off over the years and they are great fun.
For arrows at the moment I have grizzly stick safari and some woods from Wallace woods I haven't made them up yet as the new bow only got shipped today it's a takedown Bama hunter that's come in at 102#@29 in the past I used Easton power flights in side game getters with 290grn up front and they wear a bit stiff but heavy and next time I think I will get a doz arrow dynamics hammer head heavy wich are around 175 static spine and are tapered so I would be able to run ufoc
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

dan76

#9 Post by dan76 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey fanto

I built an arrow the other day for my testing out of my recurve and at my draw lengh it is about 85#( it is 76# at 28, 84# at @28amo) and i used a 2117 gamegetter alloy stuffed with a easton powerflight and a 150gr tip gives 770gr and if you want more irrigation tube up the powerflight will bump it to around 1000gr and then add a 315 gr head and you got a bloody big heavy arrow.

Dan

And yes i would like to own a 100# recurve too, thats why i am going to build one one day :biggrin:

slinkymalinky

#10 Post by slinkymalinky » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:55 pm

I must be eating the wrong kind of breakfast cereal. The mere thought of trying to draw a 100# bow (or even 75# for that matter) makes my shoulders ache. If this is the trad archery version of who has the biggest sports car... I think I'd better go out and buy myself a new dress :biggrin:

Can't wait to catch up at a trad shoot and see some of these monsters in action.
"There is no spoon"

dan76

#11 Post by dan76 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Nah I own a mini 8) i don't have to prove anything :lol:

Honestly you don't have to shoot huge weight bows but it is fun.

Dan

Fraser

#12 Post by Fraser » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Fanto, I gave up on carbon as I could not get them long enough. The Tas oak I have been using is lengths of 1200mm dowel, you have to sort through about 30 to find 6 good ones, but at $2.07 ea I'm not complaining. It's quite robust as well, I don't seem to break many arrows.

I'm seriously addicted to heavy bows now, I've already ordered the next bow, a trilam warbow 140# @ 36". I have no idea where this madness is going to end, but I don't care, I like it!!!!

Fanto

#13 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:33 pm

All

thanks for the input here, especially the tipoff on the Arrow dynamics, looks like the only heavy weight production shaft under .300 spine to me, and at .175 perfect for 100lb Id guess. I wouldnt want to shoot a 100lb bow under 1000grains and it would be nice to go to 1100 or 1200 if I want and this arrow may just allow it.

the 100# bow in question is up for auction, Ill have a crack. Might have to get a mate in the US to ship it for me.

Its not a contest, this heavy bow business, it just floats my boat is all and its nice to see im not alone!

cheers!

Buranurra

#14 Post by Buranurra » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi FAnto

You can get 8gr insert tubes from 3R that might help?

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3Rivers+C ... eitem.html
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Fraser

#15 Post by Fraser » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Good luck with auction Fanto, It'll be intresting to the performance and if you can get 3 x 5" fletching to work, I couldn't. 1000gr arrows can take alot to stabilise.

Cheers,

Fraser

flyne

#16 Post by flyne » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Alaskan bow hunting supply's also do a 175 but they cost a lot more then arrow dynamics
For the same thing
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Fanto

#17 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Buranurra wrote:Hi FAnto

You can get 8gr insert tubes from 3R that might help?

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3Rivers+C ... eitem.html

thanks Jase. I really don't know what will be needed. the weight tubes apparently lower static spine, but don't add to FOC and don't add strength. if you read the Ashby reports, which use many arrows in this weight category, Dr. Ashby finds that 1) arrows with internal footings made of material like nylon rod, tightly fitting, a few inches long, resist breakage on hard inlace and that 2) UFOC (ultra FOC) arrows in excess of 25% FOC need little in the way of feathers to stabilise them. this is an idea that the Papau New Guineans are all over like a rash- 1000gr arrows 1000gr plus points, heavy bows, no feathers - Yeehaa!!

it'll be fun to experiment if I get it past USPS, customs, and the treasury!

Gene-o

#18 Post by Gene-o » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey guys, I got a mates recurve for sale and its got 80# limbs on it if ya into heavy bows. Its a Schafer Silver Tip take down.

Geneo :wink:

Fanto

#19 Post by Fanto » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 am

Geneo

Im sure its a nice bow,

just a little on the light side :lol:

Roadie

#20 Post by Roadie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm

110 Lbs ELB War bow at Full Draw using a cloth Yard Arrow decides to Shatter on you, Man that Hurts, that is why I am only using 50lbs now. Try shooting it for 4 days, 90 arrows a Day, I would be interested to Know how you go. Unless you are Hunting Elephants, anything around the 50lbs mark will get you most Ferals in Australia, if you know what you are doing. Cheers Roadie.

Fanto

#21 Post by Fanto » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Roadie,

Ouch!!

i shoot 60-100 a day at 72#.

Regarding the need for the poundage on ferals, I know its not needed. i take my 55# bow hunting. its lighter to carry.

I just like shooting a heavy bow!

cheers

Roadie

#22 Post by Roadie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:43 pm

While we are young we consider ourselves Bullett Proof, as we get Older we tend to compromise, and beleive me when something goes Bang, just consider this, Just imagine some one Belting you between the shoulder Blades with a 15lbs sledge Hammer. It takes awhile to consider picking up a Bow again. GOOD Luck with your efforts to shoot something over 100lbs drawweight, don't Rush it. Cheers Roadie.

Fanto

#23 Post by Fanto » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm

thanks for the encouragement Roadie.

i had a limb fail once, the sting split the limb of the flat recurve into 3 pieces. one second i was nicely composed, approaching full draw, concentrating on the target, arrow just about at anchor. the next second i was surrounded by my bow, string and glove, all in different places on the ground and i was left standing, confused, sore with an arrow in my right hand!

cheers

hazard

#24 Post by hazard » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Choose wisely the reason you would shoot a heavier poundage bow :wink:

I prefer the poundage a little bit heavier but if I am shooting for 4 days straight I would use my 66# limbs.

I do how ever practice with 80# at home and shoot at least 40-80 arrows a week, but I am not a competitor shooting days in succession I just do it for my own enjoyment and the love of the sport.

Age will take its toll eventually but I will accept what it is when it falls, but I believe the benefits of practicing with a higher poundage helps quite a bit when you drop back in weight shooting many rounds.

Don't let others insecurity hold you back if this is what you enjoy. There will always be the 'Aussy Knocker" itching to say "I told you so" I hear them frequently.

A very wise and close mentor to me as I grew up used to shoot a 100# bow way beyond his 60's and it was other health reasons not his back and shoulders that eventually stopped him.

We are not bullet proof as Roadie said build into it wisely.
Roadie wrote:GOOD Luck with your efforts to shoot something over 100lbs draw weight, don't Rush it. Cheers Roadie

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fraser

#25 Post by Fraser » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 am

Hi Hazard, the main reason I shoot a heavy bow is that I'm about twice the size of the so called average person. It fells like I'm cheeting my self when I shoot a 60lb bow. I know that 30/40 years down the track I will have to drop back to a lighter bow. No one will tell the prop forwards at the local rugby club to stop lifting heavy weights, but when it comes to archery, the moment you consider shooting over 70lb people condem you for it. We don't all have the same physical capabilities.

I don't want to start an argument or offend any body, but Fanto has made the chioce to to shoot a heavy bow, and if it dosen't work out you can all tell him I told you so at a later date.

Fanto one thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to get much thicker shooting glove/tab, I found out the hard way.

Cheers,

Fraser

Fanto

#26 Post by Fanto » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 am

cheers Fraser.

ive got one of these HH gloves on the way. Im using a Neet trad. glove with douuble thickness cordovan tips. the HH glove also has a nylon insert. the neet glove took deep grooves, which is affecting release.

if this glove isnt enough im going to try an american leathers tuff-shot. ugly but they say its tough.
Attachments
51f3c383af3cc74369bda4c50c0fdd24.jpg
51f3c383af3cc74369bda4c50c0fdd24.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 9012 times

Fanto

#27 Post by Fanto » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:39 am

Fanto wrote:cheers Fraser. good points well made. why shoot over 40lb for target? why over 50 for hunting? it makes no sense unless you enjoy it. I also like shooting my wife's 30lb "horsebow." maybe im mad? no one can say for sure...

ive got one of these HH gloves on the way. Im using a Neet trad. glove with douuble thickness cordovan tips. the HH glove also has a nylon insert. the neet glove took deep grooves, which is affecting release.

if this glove isnt enough im going to try an american leathers tuff-shot. ugly but they say its tough.

Buranurra

#28 Post by Buranurra » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi Fanto

THe Saunders pak tab are not too bad, they have extra layers that you add for heavier bows. Pretty cheap to try. I also have the full shot shooting glove which is a great piece of kit.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Fraser

#29 Post by Fraser » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Fanto, I'm told the cordovan tiped gloves work well for heavy bows. I was useing you stock stand deer skin glove, and when I started to have problems I cut of the fingers of a riggers glove and placed them inside my shooting glove as a stop gap solution, it worked so well I haven't bothered to replace it.

Those groves your talking about in your glove, I ended up with those in my fingers when using the deer skin glove alone! Then about 4-5 days later I'd lose patches of skin of my finger tips as if they had been burnt! :surprised: You'll really need to get the glove sorted early or it will make the whole experience quit painful.

I've never understood the preference for light draw weights in archery, If we flip over to the world of firearms, small caliber weapons are frowned upon from an animal welfare point of view.

Have you worked out a strategy for working up to 100lb yet?

Cheers,

Fraser.

Roadie

#30 Post by Roadie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Why not Try Making your own FINGER TAB, I know some of my Fellow War Bow Archers swear by them. CHeers Roadie.