100# Hunting recurve, what would it be like?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fraser

Re: 100# Hunting recurve, what would it be like?

#61 Post by Fraser » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Jeff, I noticed that, the first shaft I ever made with the dowel cutter was extremely brittle. The rest have been ok, to break one I normaly have to ricochet of a tree to hit the second try sideways.

Fraser

Fanto

#62 Post by Fanto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Well,

she has arrived. 100# @28 Howatt Hunter.

Blonde actionwood riser, separating two limbs made from planks of maple. this thing is a beast!

i string my recurves step through, 60# piece of cake! 100# different story, it was a HUGE effort!

I can probably only get this bow to about 3/4 draw at the moment, pehaps a little less, and I look like my 13yo cousin trying to draw a grown up bow!

Ill post some pictures. this thing is an absolute beast. It must be 50# at 8" draw!

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fraser

#63 Post by Fraser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Can't wait to see the pic's, get your self a bow stringer, It'll take about half the effort to string it.

Cheers,

Fraser

Fanto

#64 Post by Fanto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 pm

Hey Fraser,

Ive got a bow stringer. I can not string the bow with the stringer. The thing is a fricken beast. Here are some draw weight measurements i took today.

22lb @ 11.5"
44lb @ 14"
66lb @ 18"
88lb@24"
100lb@27"
110lb@28"

one of the training methods that Marlon from tradgang taught me was to draw my 70lb bow and a light bow at the same time. I tried this tonight at the end of my practice session when I was tired. I drew the 70lb bow and a 30lb horsebow at the same time, to very near full draw. i can't get the 100# (110# :surprised: i should say) much past 22". Im finding that i can't get into my back muscles because the early weight is so heigh i just can't get my elbow around enough yet.

Ill keep plugging away, it'll come.

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Buranurra

#65 Post by Buranurra » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Top stuff mate, I will look forward to the pics. The "Bow Trainer" trains up to around 115# @28, and at $39 + Shipping it might help get you over the hump.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

flyne

#66 Post by flyne » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 am

Fanto we need pics mate :lol: :biggrin:
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Fraser

#67 Post by Fraser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:51 am

Hi Fanto, I found that if you shorten the length of the bow stringer until you can use your knees to take the initial strain. Once your standing upright you'll be able to hold the bow with one hand and sting it with the other.

Google warbows and have a look at the technique used to draw them (lots on youtube). Not sure if these techniques will work with a recurve, but I've found I can draw just about any thing using that technique. Never tried a 200lb bow though.

Keep plugging away and you'll get there. Make sure you do some chest excercises though (even just push ups) If you over develop the muscels on one side of joint and neglect the other side you can cause long term damage. (Footballers have found that if you develop your chest and not your back you'll have a higher risk of dislocated/sublocated shoulders, and ultimately shoulder reconstructions.)

Cheers,

Fraser

Fanto

#68 Post by Fanto » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Ill try that fraser. I actually hurt my left shoulder a little stringing it step through style.

If the 18 strand fastflight would ever quit stretching i would just leave it on!

Here is a draw force curve comparing the supposedly 100# hunter with a 111@32 warbow which I have no idea about other than it must be true because i found it on the interweb.

You can see that the hunter is around 10# heavier through the middle of the draw, and 20# heavier beyond 29"

I only interpolated the hunters draw weight at 29".Stacking? oh yeah. 10lbs per inch plus beyond 27". the hunter must be 150# @ 32.

so a 111#@ 32 warbow is a much, much lighter bow than this beast at long draw lengths.

:surprised:
Attachments
hunter100#.pdf
(31.01 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Fraser

#69 Post by Fraser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi Fanto, longbows have a more gradual buildup in poundage then a recurve, and ELB/warbows even more so than a glass backed longbow. Warbows are rated to 32" because that is the so called average draw length to the ear, much like 28" for other bows.

Certanly sounds that the hunter stacks fairly early, must be designed for a short draw length. What arrows are you using? some speeds would be interesting.

Cheers,

Fraser

Fanto

#70 Post by Fanto » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Fraser,

speeds will be interesting one day when I build up the fortitude, and arrows, to shoot from this bow. I put a clothes peg on an arrow today and to my surprise I actually managed to draw it to 26'' (about 90#) for a very brief and somewhat contorted moment.

for arrows I have got some 2219 aluminium's and I am planning to glue 3555 gt trads into them, making a 20gpi full metal jacket with a static spine around 130lbs maybe more. I will then use a brass insert (into the 3555, no brass available for 2219). if spine is still weak, I have made previously some 50gr weights with 6 inches of 6mm dowel glued into the back of them. Ill screw this into the back of the insert. Id like to use 300gr broad heads with 125gr cone adapters.

total arrow weight will be just shy of 1200gr ( without the dowel setup that adds 100gr more) and extreme FOC of 22%. I didn't get a 100# bow to see how fast 5gpp arrows will fly out of it... But don't worry, I will do it anyway! and the 675gr ones i shoot from the 70# bow. It should shoot 1000gr at around 170-180fps. I hope. If I can ever shoot this bow accurately I will be absolutely bursting to go find an enormous 'buff!

did you see the graph i posted? the hunter doesn't really "stack" early. The pain and misery come on in a consistent, and relentless way. It starts stacking at 27. then it stacks big. I used a big tub of water as a weight to for the test. at full draw the whole setup was terrifying and i looked at the bow, strung up from the verandah, with the huge tub of water hanging off the string and thought- how the heck am i going to undo all of this? :lol:

Fraser

#71 Post by Fraser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:36 am

Hi Fanto, It never occured to me to use a tup of water to weigh draw weight, pretty ingenious. You should have a go at making some timber shafts, it's not that hard. I just tried some made of kwila, a 5/16 arrow wieghs 950gr, I'm going to tapper the remaining shafts, unfinished and at 3/8 they currently wiegh 1050gr.

I think you'll get closer to 200fps than 170fps, but with a shorter draw length it hard to say.

Cheers,

Fraser.

Fraser

#72 Post by Fraser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 am

I did see the force draw curves, thats way I'm curious about arrow speed, looks preety intimidating on paper.

Fanto

#73 Post by Fanto » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:48 am

Fraser

I took some pictures but my i(diot)phone is in for repairs today, ill post them tonight.

Prior to this bow the heaviest bow I have ever seen in the flesh is a toss up between my own 69@27 stotler and a Martin Hatfield 70@28. the stotler is much, much less vicious than the Hatfield i shot. much like the Hunter, the hatfield felt relentless on the draw, like it was trying to accelarate the string from my fingers much more aggressively than the stotler.

happy days!

Fraser

#74 Post by Fraser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:03 am

Fanto, heavy recurves defenitly seem to be a rearity, any idea on broadheads? I'm going to try single bevel, found out that we have a furnace at work with which I can carburise and hard steel, so I might try to make my own, bigger and nast to go with a heavy bow.

Cheers,

Fraser

Fanto

#75 Post by Fanto » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Fraser I use outback Supreme FEs (single bevel 220gr) at the moment, not that I have got a shot away on a goat yet and they are actually harder to find at my spot in this hot weather, so have to wait a while for my first. I have shot these heads into a 4x2 at 180fps plus. They dont mind at all, split the 4x2, penetrated 1.5". they are tough, just not heavy enough.

im going to use Tuffheads for the reasons that they are strong and heavy, plus I can add 125 more grains with the steel BH adapter.

im on an EFOC bender because they shoot so well. Despite my sometimes inconsistent accuracy, the 25% FOC arrows I use always fly beautifully, like laser beams. the 15% FOC arrows i used to use were much, much more inconsistent out of my bow, no doubt on account of my form. And the science points to massive penetration gains, not that its an issue for me yet.

Some self made heads would be fantastic! perhaps you could use the same design as german kinetics and widowmakers - that is a field point with a slot cut down the middle, slip the blade in and secure with 2 screws. if you were making them for yourself you could probably even weld them together.

Fraser

#76 Post by Fraser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Fanto, I'm also going to UFOC arrows, but I'm going to drill out the center of front of the arrow and add a steel rod. I'm currently using 190gr ribteks, I have access to two cane farms up here, pigs and dingos on one, and pigs and the odd deer on the other. I'm already on holidays at the moment so I'm hopefully going to spend hunting over xmass.

The first prototype broad head blades I made up are 40mm wide and 105mm long with a tanto tip. Just made my first bullet point field tips out 12mm high speed steel, but I've got away to go yet, first head came in at 170gr.

I'm hopping to compare single and double bevel heads over these holidays.

Cheers,

Fraser

Fanto

#77 Post by Fanto » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Well,

as predicted by the archery shop keeper, I injured myself drawing the 110# bow.

It was too much for my left AC joint. Im not sure if it was the shooting or the stringing but it hurt like hell and until today i hadn't shot a bow for over a month.

Back to the nice light 60 and 70# bows!

cheers

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#78 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Sorry to hear that mate. Now please look after that shoulder and let it heal properly or you could have big problems for a long time to come.

Jeff

Buranurra

#79 Post by Buranurra » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Hats off to you for giving it a go mate. Sorry to hear of your injury/soreness and hope you recover soon.

BTW I wouldn't call 60 or 70 light :biggrin: ... well may after 110, but not to me.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Fraser

#80 Post by Fraser » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:41 am

Hi Fanto, sorry to hear about the shoulder, I'm assuming that you shoot right handed, so that would be the arm that holds the bow. Have they told you what you've done to it?

Cheers,

Fraser

hotcam

#81 Post by hotcam » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Sorry to hear you damaged the joint, joints are painful (you know that already) and slow to heal. Mine was 60% after a few months,
I reinjured it and I didn't get back to 100% for over a year, maybe closer to two.
The only help/advice I can give is that you need to let it heal for months not weeks, and
get all the medical help you can. If you re-injure it by overworking it while it is still weak, you'll double the internal scarring etc.
Ligament scarring stays with you for the rest of your life, so it is worth 6 months to 2 years wait to get back to 100% strength.
Hopefully it is not the worst kind of tear but the easiest, and you don't get ongoing damage.

Fanto

#82 Post by Fanto » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 pm

thanks guys,

i took nearly 3 months off, and eased back into it, i didn't draw a bow over 25# until I was completely pain free a couple of weeks ago and have worked back up to it again

I have a very nice new wall ornament made out of zebra action wood and bo-tuff , you should see it....

Fraser

#83 Post by Fraser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:58 am

Good to see your back at Fanto, don't give up on heavy bows completely, just make the next one an 80#. I know your probably looking at bows again.

Fraser

Fanto

#84 Post by Fanto » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am

cheers Fraser,

I havent given up on heavy bows. That Martin was just too much. I did a graph comparing it to a 111# @ 32 warbow. the warbow was 15# lighter at 28"

what makes the hunter just outrageous is the 10# per inch of draw that it stacks on. I could get it to 26" but no further.

Next heavy bow will be a longbow of some sort, perhaps a straight laid flatbow, a Howard Hill maybe. and it will have Boo cores. ill aim for 80 or 90# . maybe in the spring.

cheers

Fraser

#85 Post by Fraser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Lots of Bowyers around to make you flat laid long bow, if your used to a locater grip it might be best to stay with one. Longbows are nicer at high weights.

Fraser

hazard

#86 Post by hazard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Fanto wrote:cheers Fraser,

I havent given up on heavy bows. That Martin was just too much. I did a graph comparing it to a 111# @ 32 warbow. the warbow was 15# lighter at 28"

what makes the hunter just outrageous is the 10# per inch of draw that it stacks on. I could get it to 26" but no further.

Next heavy bow will be a longbow of some sort, perhaps a straight laid flatbow, a Howard Hill maybe. and it will have Boo cores. ill aim for 80 or 90# . maybe in the spring.

cheers
I can tell you after ordering my Flatline 80@28# to take out a buff in the NT but plans turned to $hit and got 66# @28 limbs for my every day shooting but found myself over whelmed with the 80#!!!!! If you would have asked me that before I got the bow I would have laughed :confused:

Talk to Rob Nicoll I cant recommend him highly enough and I might add respectfully priced considering I got 2 sets of limbs.and a Riser that was extroadinarily elaborate.

It is by far the most compelling bow I have shot, though something not glass backed does have that something different and interesting but not better. I get over 196 FPS with an 870 gn arrow. :shock:

I still sometimes consider a 100# set for the same riser :wink:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fraser

#87 Post by Fraser » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 pm

hazard wrote:
Fanto wrote:cheers Fraser,

cheers
I can tell you after ordering my Flatline 80@28# to take out a buff in the NT but plans turned to $hit and got 66# @28 limbs for my every day shooting but found myself over whelmed with the 80#!!!!! If you would have asked me that before I got the bow I would have laughed :confused:

Talk to Rob Nicoll I cant recommend him highly enough and I might add respectfully priced considering I got 2 sets of limbs.and a Riser that was extroadinarily elaborate.

It is by far the most compelling bow I have shot, though something not glass backed does have that something different and interesting but not better. I get over 196 FPS with an 870 gn arrow. :shock:

I still sometimes consider a 100# set for the same riser :wink:

Hazard
That's pretty quick for a heavy arrow, what pound limbs?

Fraser.

job

#88 Post by job » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Fanto wrote:thanks guys,

I have a very nice new wall ornament made out of zebra action wood and bo-tuff , you should see it....
Just a thought, have you considered reducing the width of the limbs? I think you could probably get the weight down a fair bit by narrowing them, evenly of course.

hazard

#89 Post by hazard » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Fraser wrote:That's pretty quick for a heavy arrow, what pound limbs?
62" amo 80 # @ 28"

When I Chrono'd it I got only a variable of 3-5 pounds. over avout 6-8 shots.

I have never found 2 Chrono's that read Identical to each other some vary over 10 FPS. I got similar (Not exactly) but similar from another Chrono I was given by an old mate.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fraser

#90 Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:14 pm

hazard wrote:
Fraser wrote:That's pretty quick for a heavy arrow, what pound limbs?
62" amo 80 # @ 28"

When I Chrono'd it I got only a variable of 3-5 pounds. over avout 6-8 shots.

I have never found 2 Chrono's that read Identical to each other some vary over 10 FPS. I got similar (Not exactly) but similar from another Chrono I was given by an old mate.
That's hooting out of an 80# pound bow, is it 80# at your draw length? My 95# would be struggling to keep up with that.

Fraser.