How Fast

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

dan76

How Fast

#1 Post by dan76 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey guys just a question, If you had a 76# recurve shooting a 770 grain arrow what sort of fps would you expect to get out of it.
I guess what I want to know is at that poundage and arrow weight what is considered "fast" or "slow". I put my recurve through the crono the other day and was a little surprised by the results, I thought it would be faster :confused: . I would like to see what you think before I post my results.

Danny

longbow steve

Re: How Fast

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:01 pm

My 20 year old howatt hunter 65# shoots 650gr arrow at 180 fps and I consider it fast however in the hands of someone else it may only shoot 175 fps or less due to poor release etc.
So what was the speed of your bow? Steve

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:19 pm

something to keep in mind. One may want the fastest bow on earth, however, is it 1. controllable and 2. accurate?
No point having speed without accuracy. You just miss faster........... :smile:

cheers
sue

dan76

#4 Post by dan76 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:29 pm

It averaged
171 fps with the 770gr arrow
181 fps with a 643gr arrow
214 fps with a 470grn arrow
and my 550grn woods came in at 184 fps

Dan

ps and yes it is very good to shoot, draws smooth. But i may be biased as i did build it myself :biggrin:

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Dan, thats pretty good and on par with most mass produced bows. Have we seen pics of it yet :smile: ?

dan76

#6 Post by dan76 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:46 pm

No not yet i just had a photography friend take some photos of it today, so when she puts them on a disc for me i will post them up. I usually don't post my stuff as i am too critical of my work.

Dan

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:25 pm

little arrows wrote:something to keep in mind. One may want the fastest bow on earth, however, is it 1. controllable and 2. accurate?
No point having speed without accuracy. You just miss faster........... :smile:

cheers
sue
Sue has a very good point here, you have a healthy poundage and a proportionate velocity. I would rather the characteristics you have described than something super quick and twitchy as blazers.

Speed isn't always the answer, just a trend we get fixated on, If you can hit the mark you have all you need.

Well done mate you have a well built reliable bow, I trust it will serve you well 8)

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

littlejohn59

#8 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:49 am

little arrows nailed it right on........accuracy is the name of the game.......dam she is knowledgable. My woods and aluminium/carbons 610 grains travel at 177 and 178 fps out of a 52# longbow

Trad Bound

#9 Post by Trad Bound » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:55 am

littlejohn59 wrote:little arrows nailed it right on........accuracy is the name of the game.......dam she is knowledgable. My woods and aluminium/carbons 610 grains travel at 177 and 178 fps out of a 52# longbow
And from experience he can hit what he aims at :surprised: :wink: :wink:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Dan,

I would disregard arrow velocity for the moment and find out which arrow mass brings out the best qualities in the bow i.e. stable shooting platform, minimal or no hand shock, limb vibration etc.

Shoot the arrows down range at 50 yards and using point of aim on the bulls eye note the point of impact of the arrows.
From the above you can then choose the arrow that best suits your needs.

My 43# Greybeard take down recurve averages 172 fps using 502 grain wooden arrows.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

littlejohn59

#11 Post by littlejohn59 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:40 am

:oops: tradbound

Fanto

#12 Post by Fanto » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 am

dan76

id expect 170odd fps. from a recurve at 10g.p.p

my 60lb shoots 9gpp at 183, i have a 73@ my draw r/d bamboo/carbon flat bow slinging 670gr arras, ill let you know how those go. ill test them at 720gr as well for curiosity. I'm expecting 160-170

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

dan76

#13 Post by dan76 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 am

Greybeard
I haven't had the chance to shoot the bow out at any great distance but the shooting i have done tells me it likes the 770 grain arrows, i shot all arrows very well in fact but the lightest arrows certainly had more hand shock.

Fanto
I would be interested to see how that goes

Dan

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by greybeard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Dan,

Can you post some photos of the recurve that you made? I am sure that members on the site would like to see it.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hazard

#15 Post by hazard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 pm

dan76 wrote:Greybeard
I haven't had the chance to shoot the bow out at any great distance but the shooting i have done tells me it likes the 770 grain arrows, i shot all arrows very well in fact but the lightest arrows certainly had more hand shock.
Dan
I have some 780 grain arrows I shoot out of my 80# they are very nice to shoot as you have said, at distance they do drop a bit more but after practice I find them to be gentler to shoot and get very good penetration.

Post some pickies mate we are all curious now :wink:

Hazard

dan76

#16 Post by dan76 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Ok here are some quick ones from my phone.
Attachments
bow2.jpg
bow2.jpg (138.01 KiB) Viewed 4537 times
bow1.jpg
bow1.jpg (128.79 KiB) Viewed 4537 times

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Very nice Dan,you've done really well with that one :wink:

dan76

#18 Post by dan76 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks rod, it's one of a pair.
Attachments
roughed out
roughed out
IMG_0107.JPG (98.69 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
roughed out
roughed out
IMG_0106.JPG (115.77 KiB) Viewed 4535 times

hazard

#19 Post by hazard » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Dan
Mate they are an awesome bit of kit! :mrgreen:

I said it before and I can say it again top effort mate!

hazard wrote:Well done mate you have a well built reliable bow, I trust it will serve you well
Hazard

Fanto

#20 Post by Fanto » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:46 pm

dan

did you ever chronograph that bow?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

ron300wm

#21 Post by ron300wm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Dan it wood not matter me I like your bows. And at the end of the day to me it is the feel of
A bow in the hand . That matters to me. Not the speed. Or I wood shoot my 300wm 3000.fps

Goatchaser

#22 Post by Goatchaser » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:45 pm

if you want speed buy a compound, if you want satisfaction buy traditional :lol: , lovely bows indeed would satisfy my appetite for sure. :wink:

Fanto

#23 Post by Fanto » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:56 pm

hey guys

thats cool if youre not interested in quick trad bows. some of us are and its best for everyone if we dont squabble about it.

Goatchaser

#24 Post by Goatchaser » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 pm

I love fast trads was just having a bit of a laugh and more a dig at compounds than trads, I hope my trad shoots fast and straight. :wink:

Fanto

#25 Post by Fanto » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:25 pm

fair enough goatchaser.

some guys chase every FPS, thats not me. if it was i'd have ordered a qarbon nano or a Border black douglas with the carbon foam limbs.

more than happy to give up 5-10 fps to stick with a nice, traditional, one piece laminated bow.

I dont know if youve ever shot a real slow pig of a bow. my mate has one, some obscure, unknown american bowyer made TD recurve. gee its horrible. its 60LB and the arrows seem to make a great big looping arc at 20 yards!

and I agree with you about compounds. if you want to click a trigger and kill animals that you havent had to stalk, may as well use a centrefire. the only difference between the two is the rangefinder.

daniel boon

#26 Post by daniel boon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 am

Fanto, I have Border HEX6W limbs on my Morisson Wood riser, and they are awesome.
And Border also makes (traditional) one piece RC's and LB's, and they rock. A lot of bowyers offer carbon and foam in their bows. Carbon and foam add STABILITY + speed, and you can have the best of both worlds.
I also have one of Ed Scots rawhide backed juniper LB's, on which I just put one of Rick Barbee's (performance) strings. And what a difference that made, while not fast, its a LOT faster than it was, quiet as a mouse with no silencers, and absolutely no handshock.
As for saying that Border Bows are not for you, should try the HEX6's you might change your mind :smile:

Fanto

#27 Post by Fanto » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:31 am

daniel boon,

written post are so hard to get right!

I am extremely impressed with what border have achieved. its sensational!

ive shot an ed scott owl bow a bit too, what a bow! so quiet! picked it up and shot great groups straight up.

my bows of choice are martin recurves, a stotler gamegetter longbow and most recently a caribow slynx which is on a DHL plane just now. i dont think these are anything more than my favourites!

cheers

bigbob

#28 Post by bigbob » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Dan they're are two very nice looking bows with respectable speed rates. You've done very well!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

dan76

#29 Post by dan76 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:00 pm

That was awhile ago now, I have redesigned the risers somewhat and I am going to static tips now to try to smooth them out and help with performance, well that's the plan anyway. :biggrin:

Dan

wishsong

#30 Post by wishsong » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Fanto wrote: and I agree with you about compounds. if you want to click a trigger and kill animals that you havent had to stalk, may as well use a centrefire. the only difference between the two is the rangefinder.
I hope that was in jest .
I find these types of comments tiresome and overtly negative .
I would hope that the posters of such comments will post up all the many record book trophies they have taken with compounds because its so easy and you don't have to stalk and other such silliness.